The Student Room Group

Hopeful Medicine Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tr3sbelle
Can I just say as a current Medic how much I love this thread, thought I was the only that used to think so far ahead in year 10/11! and guys, you are not going to have time to get a proper job in medical school if you'd like to have a life.

Sounds like you guys are working hard, keep at it! But remember, have fun!! Honestly the best advice anyone will ever give - come Alevels you will look back and wish you had studied and made so many memories!

As for advice, not that you asked for it but I would've loved some; smash your extracurricular as well as academic. This is the time you can do it, get involved with school stuff assemblies, community work, doesn't have to be volunteering in a shop; whatever you like doing, make a thing out of it where you are doing something over a long term period. I've been a St John's Cadet since the age of 14, worked for a year against Malaria, run exhibitions, volunteered for a charity since i was in year 7; my grades aren't the most amazing but my extracirricular makes me stand the hell out. Med schools now are rejecting people with all A*s because they're not the most interesting person - you will have to stand out in more ways than one.

That said, do not by any means overload yourself and think you need to fly out to Africa to start a humanitarian mission, even the littlest things, record them and write them down and what you learnt!

All the best guys!

I set this forum up because people in my school always look down on me for the effort I put into studying, with stupid remarks like 'why bother?' Or 'Oh wow you're actually trying' or perhaps 'It's so easy to pass you don't need to study for it' and sadly some of these come from my friends who I consider to be really smart. [I'm talking about straight A's here] But I'm really happy that I'm not the only one thinking ahead here :smile:. As for extra-curricular, I think I've got that covered X). So how's it like in Med school? Are you living the dream or is reality a crude awakening? [In terms of the work load that is]

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DustToDust
Philosophy and Religion is one subject. I wanted to do just Religious Studies but my only option at the college I want to go to is to do both!

I might actually opt for that, since it seems really interesting :biggrin: not sure if the school I want to go does it though :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
Yeah I know right! I probably won't end up doing it but in my local town there is a local nightclub. I might just get my licence so over the holidays whilst im not in uni. Like all the Uni people now. I can work there to gain a bit of, "dolla'h":"):wink:

Hahaha X) well goodluck with that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is crazy! 2017 entry!!! That year just sounds so far away. Wow I remember when I was doing GCSEs and joined a 2015 medicine thread and now I'm holding an offer for medicine. God time goes so quickly! Good luck everyone :biggrin: If you have questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:
Original post by TheProblematique
This is crazy! 2017 entry!!! That year just sounds so far away. Wow I remember when I was doing GCSEs and joined a 2015 medicine thread and now I'm holding an offer for medicine. God time goes so quickly! Good luck everyone :biggrin: If you have questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Crazy right? I know. But how did your GCSEs go and what offer did you get? What A-levels did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm wanting to do medicine!! However my grades will be something like 4A* 5A and 2B which is crappy for a medicine applicant. Anyhoo; I consider myself a maths genius and I want to take Bio Chem Math and Perhaps F-Math depending on where I go. :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by Adeel Ali
I'm wanting to do medicine!! However my grades will be something like 4A* 5A and 2B which is crappy for a medicine applicant. Anyhoo; I consider myself a maths genius and I want to take Bio Chem Math and Perhaps F-Math depending on where I go. :smile:

Does your school do AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths?

We're doing it, it's really interesting compared to standard GCSE Maths (lol)
Original post by Jitesh
Does your school do AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths?

We're doing it, it's really interesting compared to standard GCSE Maths (lol)

Yup! I included it in one of the A's I should get! I've basically self taught myself GCSE math in these holidays I've got a couple of topics left and then I'm gonna hit the past papers. :smile:
Reply 68
Yup! I included it in one of the A's I should get! I've basically self taught myself GCSE math in these holidays I've got a couple of topics left and then I'm gonna hit the past papers. :smile:

Ah, remember there's an A^ lurking around for you to get :wink:
Original post by TheProblematique
My GCSEs went pretty well haha I got 10A*s and I did Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, F. Maths and EPQ at AS and got AAAABA* respectively but the B was explained in my reference.
And I'm currently doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths because I dropped Further maths and Physics :smile:

Oh wow!!! No wonder you got an offer you've got outstanding results. Now I need to do the same >.<
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
I think I'm pretty much sorted for volunteering;
I have been volunteering at two old peoples homes. One being Dementia and one beng residential care since I was 14 (im now 16 and intend to keep it up until uni).
Haha! I am also a St. John's ambulance Cadet! I do all the stuff with that. I gained a full first Aid course here so I'm already up on CPR ect.
I used to be an Air Cadet and achieved the rank of a Corporal. So I can show I have lead a team and gained some basic skills on how to control situations.
I'm going to go to Tanzania with Gap medical to help out with the doctors and nurses out there. So I guess that is another thing I can put down.
I've passed an ASD Awareness course. Thigh shows that I am aware of people with Autism and how to interact with them so that they feel comfortable around me. I guess this is a key part of being a doc is interacting with people. So if I can show that I interact with people with, Dementia, autism and just old people that should looks good.
Once I get to A-level im going to teach children how to speak Welsh and Read English as I am fluent in both English and Welsh. Again showing how I can interact with different types of people.
Bronze DofE so far. I am hopefully going to go on to do silver and gold.
I'm a very keen golf player and have been playing since I was about 12.
Then just my work experience ive got organised in GOSH in August next year and in my local hospital in a small town in South West Wales where I am from.
Is this enough or do I need to get more types of things that I've done?

Haha mate I think you've got it covered, very impressive! Remember, it's quality too so make sure you think about all of this awesome stuff and how it's going to benefit you as a doctor. The ASD is very goo and you really should play on these strengths. By the way, as a side note, don't mention, or rather focus on a single event too much if it was more than 2 years ago. It sounds amazing initially but they will really go to town on it. Good luck buddy, sounds like you're doing very well!
Original post by AnimeFreak101
Oh wow!!! No wonder you got an offer you've got outstanding results. Now I need to do the same >.<

Aw thank you :smile: It's all about where you apply though just remember that. Because my results were my strong point, I applied to universities with emphasis on GCSEs and AS levels.

But if your UKCAT is your strong point you can apply to UCKAT unis and if extracurriculars are your strong point, you can apply to personal statement unis! But yeah, really try to get those GCSE grades up and you'll increase your options and chances.
Original post by AnimeFreak101
I set this forum up because people in my school always look down on me for the effort I put into studying, with stupid remarks like 'why bother?' Or 'Oh wow you're actually trying' or perhaps 'It's so easy to pass you don't need to study for it' and sadly some of these come from my friends who I consider to be really smart. [I'm talking about straight A's here] But I'm really happy that I'm not the only one thinking ahead here :smile:. As for extra-curricular, I think I've got that covered X). So how's it like in Med school? Are you living the dream or is reality a crude awakening? [In terms of the work load that is]

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really sorry, I read my post and realized it sounded like I'm already doing Medicine.What I meant that I'm applying this year. My mistake! :smile:
In terms of people looking down at you, you'll be so glad you did it! I most definitely was. Never get comfortable with your own ability, it will slap you in the face as soon as you take it for granted! Especially when it comes to A-levels.

Good luck!
Original post by tr3sbelle
Haha mate I think you've got it covered, very impressive! Remember, it's quality too so make sure you think about all of this awesome stuff and how it's going to benefit you as a doctor. The ASD is very goo and you really should play on these strengths. By the way, as a side note, don't mention, or rather focus on a single event too much if it was more than 2 years ago. It sounds amazing initially but they will really go to town on it. Good luck buddy, sounds like you're doing very well!

Thank you very much:biggrin:
Reply 74
When are you guys starting to revise for GCSEs?
Or when did you guys start?
Right Now; I'm making notes ready for the exams! Want to be as organised as possible :smile:
Original post by Jitesh

summer :cool:
Reply 77
Hi, I'm hoping to apply for medicine in 2017
I'm currently Studying... Biology, chemistry, physics, maths, English language/literature, French, religious education, History and ICT. I'm also doing level 2 further maths.

•-Predicted grades-•
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A
Maths - A*
English language - A*
English literature -[already got an A]
French - B
RE - A*
History - B
ICT- B
Level 2 further maths- A
Original post by Jitesh

I started in the Summer but I was too lazy to continue. I know I'll be safe if I finish part 1 and part 2 for Biology, Chemistry and Physics before school starts. I need to start maths revision cause believe it or not I'm a B and I need to put effort got get an A by the end of January.
Right Now; I'm making notes ready for the exams! Want to be as organised as possible :smile:

High five! :five: What notes have you made so far?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending