The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to Cambridge with only 2 STEM subjects?

Hi, year 11. Really stuck on my alevel choices.
I'm definitely picking bio, chem and Spanish but wondering whether to add maths as a 4th and drop it if I don't like it. Loads of people in my school do 4 and I get consistent 8s at maths GCSE so idk about that.
Anyways, I have this grand idea in my head about Cambridge (perpetuated by my parents lol) and idk whether to add that into consideration when choosing my options. They say 3 science/maths subjects are preferred but you still have a chance with only 2? Idk if it's worth getting my hopes up for something I have a super low chance at.
Basically, if I only choose bio and chem, will I completely cut off Cambridge? And is it worth it applying without a third science/maths.
Original post by Pepsico
I'm definitely picking bio, chem and Spanish but wondering whether to add maths as a 4th and drop it if I don't like it. Loads of people in my school do 4 and I get consistent 8s at maths GCSE so idk about that.
Anyways, I have this grand idea in my head about Cambridge (perpetuated by my parents lol) and idk whether to add that into consideration when choosing my options. They say 3 science/maths subjects are preferred but you still have a chance with only 2? Idk if it's worth getting my hopes up for something I have a super low chance at.
Basically, if I only choose bio and chem, will I completely cut off Cambridge? And is it worth it applying without a third science/maths.
Hello,

I think it would be worth applying if you truly have your heart set on it, but there are some things you need to consider before applying.
The main reason I didn't apply to Cambridge vet school was because they required me to take the NSAA admissions test (natural science admissions test) and this has a compulsory maths section. This may change in future years, but my chances would have been drastically lowered as I didn't take a-level maths, and I knew I would be up against people with maths and further maths.
I would also look into other vet schools outside of Cambridge, as with vet med, it really doesn't matter where you go for your career prospects. Look into the course content and teaching methods too rather than prestige :smile:
Honestly in short and to put it bluntly, if you want to apply to Cambridge vet med I would strongly advise picking maths a level, but if it's not a subject that you want to do, there's really no point. At the end of the day, pick a 3rd subject that you enjoy and think you can get an A in. I think your original idea of starting with 4 and dropping one would be a good idea to get a taste of your subjects and decide what you want to do.

EDIT: Looked on the website and noticed that they changed it, so now you do the ESAT instead of NSAA. There is still a compulsory "mathematics 1" section, but I'm not exactly sure of its difficulty (could be anywhere from gcse to a level). Though you do get to pick another additional section from biology, chemistry, physics or mathematics 2.
(edited 1 month ago)
It may be worth considering that, for 2017, 2018 and 2019 entry, 98% of successful applicants took Biology, 97% took Mathematics and 96% took Chemistry. There will also be some people who took Physics as their 3rd Maths / Science subject. Not taking a third, if successful, would put you in a very small minority.

Also, you mention that loads of people in your school do four A-Levels. I don't know if that's because your school is just large (i.e. there are loads of people who do four, but many many more who do fewer) or that you go to a particularly high-achieving school but they will also consider your school type and the average grade gotten by your peers.

Finally, why are you so set on Cambridge? You haven't even started your A-Levels and you're already debating whether or not it's worth adding an extra A-Level you don't really want to do to make your application stand out.
Reply 3
Original post by melancollege
It may be worth considering that, for 2017, 2018 and 2019 entry, 98% of successful applicants took Biology, 97% took Mathematics and 96% took Chemistry. There will also be some people who took Physics as their 3rd Maths / Science subject. Not taking a third, if successful, would put you in a very small minority.
Also, you mention that loads of people in your school do four A-Levels. I don't know if that's because your school is just large (i.e. there are loads of people who do four, but many many more who do fewer) or that you go to a particularly high-achieving school but they will also consider your school type and the average grade gotten by your peers.
Finally, why are you so set on Cambridge? You haven't even started your A-Levels and you're already debating whether or not it's worth adding an extra A-Level you don't really want to do to make your application stand out.
Not set on Cambridge, I just don't want to end up regretting not getting as much of a chance at it than I could have gotten. Plus, we can't add an extra a-level after we've started, we can only swap or drop.
Also, my school is pretty high achieving (+ grammar), how would that change it in the eyes of the uni?
Thanks for the response
Hi, Cambridge vet student here!

It is definitely possible to get in with 2 science A levels- I know a few people in my course who did biology and chemistry and then did a third non science A level eg history. I think the consensus is more that successful applicants tend to do 3 science A levels so they suggest that it’s helpful, but it’s not impossible to get in with 2. A good interview is definitely more important than 3 science A levels (and I can vouch that the ones who did 2 are doing very well here!). It might be worth asking about this on an open day/ sending an email to the vet school if you’d like to get some more clarity.
Original post by Pepsico

hi, i’d recommend adding on the extra stem subject, as it will definitely push forward your application and will probably make it stand out a bit more. however that being said, a language is a really good thing to take no matter what you want to do when your older and will probably make you stand out a lot as well and they could ask you about that in an interview. it’s good to have one subject that’s different from the others to show that you are talented in multiple ways!
Reply 6
Original post by Pepsico
Is this for Cambridge medicine, or some other course? The 3 STEM A-level recommendation is only for a few select courses like medicine and natsci.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 7
Original post by lalexm
Is this for Cambridge medicine, or some other course? The 3 STEM A-level recommendation is only for a few select courses like medicine and natsci Bio.
Vetmed, sorry I thought this would only show up in the vetmed forum bc I posted it there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending