The Student Room Group

Is 4 years after A levels too late to apply to uni?

Hey everyone,
I am literally in the middle of a life crisis. I sat my A levels in 2019, didn't get the grades I was predicted for medicine and so I applied and was accepted abroad where I was just finishing up my second year of medicine before the war began. There's a very small chance the country will ever be the same again or that we will return to university soon if at all.
I am thinking of changing my career entirely and reapplying for undergrad pharmacy but am currently concerned universities will consider me at all due to the 4 year gap.
I will be grateful for any guidance. Thank you in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They definitely would consider and do like mature students. If in doubt, contact admissions for a couple of unis and see what they say. But I think you'll find you will be very encouraged to apply
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by zaria.xo
Hey everyone,
I am literally in the middle of a life crisis. I sat my A levels in 2019, didn't get the grades I was predicted for medicine and so I applied and was accepted abroad where I was just finishing up my second year of medicine before the war began. There's a very small chance the country will ever be the same again or that we will return to university soon if at all.
I am thinking of changing my career entirely and reapplying for undergrad pharmacy but am currently concerned universities will consider me at all due to the 4 year gap.

I did my A-levels in 2015. I have applied to go to University starting this September (2nd-year entry), waiting on my offers/clearing. I did previously attend, but had a whole sh*tstorm with mental health, that I couldn't complete the third year and dropped out. Going back for revenge at a whole 26 years old. So it's never too late!
Reply 3
Many Uni have a time limit on qualifications for entry - ie. within the last 3 or 5 years.

Phone and check with each Uni before you apply.
Reply 4
I don’t think the time since a levels is a valid concern as you’ve been studying since and in a related field.

I’d be concerned about your eligibility for student finance if you were planning on taking student loans.
Reply 5
Hi, I did my A levels 4 years ago and I received 2 offers from uni to study Law this year. It is possible although I would recommend you call each uni and double check for your specific course.
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for your replies! This definitely gives me hope!
Reply 7
Thanks everyone for your replies! This definitely gives me hope!

Where's your mind right now? Have you decided?
Hi,

I don't think the time between doing A levels and going to uni is going to be a problem, plenty of mature students get accepted. People go to uni at all different ages and stages of their life. They take into account grades, experience, interests, career goals etc. I would recommend contacting the admissions team for the unis you are interested in and even seeing if you reach out the course leader and seeing what the recommend.

Victoria
-Wrexham Uni Rep
Hey everyone,

Hi,
Mature students of a wide range of ages are definitely very present at University. As others have said it's probably worth checking with admissions teams at universities you're interested in, but mature students are definitely encouraged to apply and universities often have support measures in place to assist with applications/university life.
Good luck with your application,
Becky (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
As above, 3 or 5 years are common time limits for what counts as 'recent' study. Unis determine their own requirements, after which they'll likely consider you as a mature student.
Reply 11
I went 6 years after mine and got in with grades 3 or more grades lower than the course requirement.
Hey everyone,

It's never too late to apply to uni :smile:
Good luck!
Original post by gjd800
I went 6 years after mine and got in with grades 3 or more grades lower than the course requirement.

Was the fact that you'd been out of education for many years not a problem? I'm 24 and have been out of education since 2017 however I meet the grade requirements for the course I wanna do but I'm worried that they won't give me an offer because I haven't done any recent study.
Reply 14
Original post by __Orangutan__
Was the fact that you'd been out of education for many years not a problem? I'm 24 and have been out of education since 2017 however I meet the grade requirements for the course I wanna do but I'm worried that they won't give me an offer because I haven't done any recent study.

No, they didn't even ask about it and this was a decent university as well. With that said, the caveat is that it was nearly 14 years ago.

I think they weren't too fussed because I'd kept up with a lot of (difficult) reading, so they didn't ask too many questions after that.
Generally speaking, if a uni has a ‘recent study’ requirement then it will be around 5yrs or less. It’s just a case of contacting any prospective unis and seeing how they consider mature applicants.
Original post by Admit-One
Generally speaking, if a uni has a ‘recent study’ requirement then it will be around 5yrs or less. It’s just a case of contacting any prospective unis and seeing how they consider mature applicants.

It's a bit late for that to be honest, I already sent my application in a month ago. I just have to hope that the uni's I've applied to don't have a recent study requirement or else I'm in a world of trouble.
Original post by gjd800
No, they didn't even ask about it and this was a decent university as well. With that said, the caveat is that it was nearly 14 years ago.

I think they weren't too fussed because I'd kept up with a lot of (difficult) reading, so they didn't ask too many questions after that.

Well, let's hope things haven't changed much in the last 14 years.
Original post by __Orangutan__
It's a bit late for that to be honest, I already sent my application in a month ago. I just have to hope that the uni's I've applied to don't have a recent study requirement or else I'm in a world of trouble.

That’s a shame, you may have avoided some auto rejections for the sake of a couple of phone calls. However, as noted above unis can sometimes be a bit more flexible with regards to mature students so it’s just a case of waiting and seeing now.
Original post by Admit-One
That’s a shame, you may have avoided some auto rejections for the sake of a couple of phone calls. However, as noted above unis can sometimes be a bit more flexible with regards to mature students so it’s just a case of waiting and seeing now.

In hindsight, it would have been a good idea but I didn't even know about the recent study requirement until today so I couldn't have asked them about it. From what I gather, there's the possibility that they could offer me a place on the course but with a foundation year instead, that's extremely unappealing to me but ultimately I might not have a choice. Like you said, waiting and seeing is all I can do now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending