The Student Room Group

US Student looking for application advice (Edinburgh, St Andrews, and UCL)

I'm a student from the USA. I just finished my freshman year at a regionally well known university in Pennsylvania, but it's not where I want to spend the rest of my time in school--so I'm applying to UK schools as well. I am currently studying towards a BA in Russian along with a BS in Statistics. However, I'd like to switch over to either Economics or International Business instead of math.

What I'm wondering is: how selective are UK schools? Do I have a shot at getting in? I'm applying to three schools: Uni of Edinburgh, St Andrew's, and UCL. I really am eager to study in the UK, and I want to make sure I have a good application. I truly appreciate any advice. :smile: Here are my stats:

General Info:

White male from Pennsylvania, USA

16 years old

Starting sophomore year in university this spring

High School Info:
Since I'm in college now I am guessing High School won't play a big role in admittance? I was homeschooled and I don't know how that is viewed in Great Britain. My GPA was good, something like 3.9 or so. I finished high school two years early as well so maybe that is a plus?

SAT: 2020 (740 CR, 640 M, 640 W)

Is my math score too low? I am considering taking the SAT again this January, along with the Math 2 subject test.

College Info:
GPA: 3.657
Grades/Transcript: French 201 (A), French 202 (A), Computer Science 110 (A-), Macroeconomics 111 (A-), Statistics 121 (A), Linguistics 230 (A-), Russian Poetry 403 (A), Advanced Russian Grammar 301 (A), International Relations 213 (B+), Geology 101 (A), Calculus 1 (C+)

I'm really worried about the Calc grade. Will it have any bearing on whether or not I'm accepted? Should I take the Math level 2 SAT subject test to make up for it? In the spring I will take the following courses (not 100% set yet):

Microeconomics, Calculus 2, Statistics 2, Russian Drama, Advanced Oral Russian, Russian Politics

Recommendation Letter:

I am good friends with the director of the Russian dept at my school. Would that be an acceptable rec letter?
Reply 1
bump...
I cannot comment on your specific circumstances. I will say st Andrews is very difficult to get into and UCL not far behind it. you need to look into whether your grades meet the entry requirements and if they do make sure you do not put more than 2 entries for very highly rated unis on your application. this means Oxbridge imperial lse st Andrews and durham so that you don't end up with all rejections. I do not think it ethical to have a good mate doing your reference
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
you need to look into whether your grades meet the entry requirements

Would this imply I'm "in" as soon as those requirements are met?

Original post by swanseajack1
I do not think it ethical to have a good mate doing your reference

The professor is not so much a "mate" as someone who thinks I'm a good student and with whom I am on good terms. Would that be ok? Sorry for the confusion.
first question answer is no. getting the minimum entry qualifications does not guarantee entry. that is the reason you need to restrict your entries to the top unis. they are oversubscribed so choose the best candidates. without the entry requirement you would have no chance. with them you might get in. lse and imperial makes offers to 1 in 6 Oxbridge 1 in 5 and durham 1 in 3 so the chances are against you. the answer to the second question is yes provided he and your school are happy with that
Reply 5
OK, here is a little secret for Economics. It is one of the more popular degrees and your three unis have very competitive entry. Admission will look at your SAT Maths score and calculus work. FYI, St Andrews and Edinburgh have scholarships for US students funded by US alumni. Good luck

UCL Economics requires for instance as a condition: A level math A* or International Bac top level 7 maths. I think in the US you call it AP Maths.

Interestingly, all three unis have also excellent Russian departments.

Ranking of UK econ departments (Guardian or Good Uni guide):
UCL
St Andrews
Edinburgh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending