The Student Room Group

How important is accommodation to you when choosing a university? (2015)

Hi so i've been wondering if anyone else is really concerned about the type of accommodation when choosing universities? honestly it's the first thing i look at but some people i have talked to say it doesn't matter that much?

right now my top two choices are: keele and winchester. i haven't been to visit either of them yet but from the website, it looks like winchester has far much better accommodation than keele, but i like keele much more because of the campus, course and where it is. im just worried that i wouldn't be very comfortable in keele accommodation, especially because i need to have an en-suite (i have GAD and social anxiety) the accommodation at keele just doesn't look nice at all, unless the website shows outdated pictures.

any help?:colondollar:
Reply 1
Different people value different factors when choosing universities. Some people will think that they'll be out at lectures, and will then be out clubbing - so will only be in their accommodation when they're asleep/hungover, so it doesn't matter what it's like. for you, it might be more important. But do remember that you can do a lot with a few posters, a plant and some lamps, so even if it doesn't look "nice" you can still decorate to an extent. It's also very likely that they won't take pictures of everything, or even let you visit everywhere, so if you're looking for paintwork etc you might be disappointed.
Original post by coffeeandbooks
Hi so i've been wondering if anyone else is really concerned about the type of accommodation when choosing universities? honestly it's the first thing i look at but some people i have talked to say it doesn't matter that much?

right now my top two choices are: keele and winchester. i haven't been to visit either of them yet but from the website, it looks like winchester has far much better accommodation than keele, but i like keele much more because of the campus, course and where it is. im just worried that i wouldn't be very comfortable in keele accommodation, especially because i need to have an en-suite (i have GAD and social anxiety) the accommodation at keele just doesn't look nice at all, unless the website shows outdated pictures.

any help?:colondollar:

Hi there!

I work as a Graduate Assistant in the Residence Support office at Keele University. Some information that you may find reassuring is that when you come to apply for accommodation at Keele University, as long as you have support from Disability and Dyslexia Support alongside medical evidence, you can be placed as priority for en-suite accommodation. More information can be found on this process at the following link:

The en-suite accommodation we have on campus is more modern, typically with small-double sized beds and usually sharing kitchens with up to eight people. There are three locations on campus that offer en-suite accommodation, Holly Cross & The Oaks, Lindsay Court, and a couple of blocks in Barnes hall.

Do you have any questions? I'd be happy to help!

Illana
Something that might be worth considering about when choosing an en suite vs none en suite is the amount of people you share a flat with. I have autism for example but in the end I decided that sharing a flat with four people and a bathroom as opposed to 8 people and an en suite was better. As most en suites have bigger flats than shared bathroom ones. You're not going to run into people in the bathroom and in houses one day you have to share a bathroom anyway. So it may be better to share a bathroom but share a flat overall with fewer people. Just something to think about.

Accommodation was important for me as I knew I had to be comfortable to be happy at uni and I found an accommodation which I am happy with. Others may think differently but there's usually accommodation to suit everyone. If you can make a point to visit them all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It really, really shouldn't be the most important thing that you base your decisions on.

Remember - you're only going to be in halls for one year, and that one year is really only term time. So, you'll only actually spend 7 months staying there. However, you've got another two or three years at uni after first year, so you need to make sure you're going to be happy in subsequent years too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Keele University
Hi there!

I work as a Graduate Assistant in the Residence Support office at Keele University. Some information that you may find reassuring is that when you come to apply for accommodation at Keele University, as long as you have support from Disability and Dyslexia Support alongside medical evidence, you can be placed as priority for en-suite accommodation. More information can be found on this process at the following link:

The en-suite accommodation we have on campus is more modern, typically with small-double sized beds and usually sharing kitchens with up to eight people. There are three locations on campus that offer en-suite accommodation, Holly Cross & The Oaks, Lindsay Court, and a couple of blocks in Barnes hall.

Do you have any questions? I'd be happy to help!

Illana

Thank you so much! I have looked at Lindsey Court more now and I really like it.
Original post by xMissDebby
Something that might be worth considering about when choosing an en suite vs none en suite is the amount of people you share a flat with. I have autism for example but in the end I decided that sharing a flat with four people and a bathroom as opposed to 8 people and an en suite was better. As most en suites have bigger flats than shared bathroom ones. You're not going to run into people in the bathroom and in houses one day you have to share a bathroom anyway. So it may be better to share a bathroom but share a flat overall with fewer people. Just something to think about.

Accommodation was important for me as I knew I had to be comfortable to be happy at uni and I found an accommodation which I am happy with. Others may think differently but there's usually accommodation to suit everyone. If you can make a point to visit them all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the response. I'll definitely have to visit them soon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending