The Student Room Group

how do I go about becoming a chartered accountant ? Please help

I have seriously thought about accountancy as a career but having a law degree I have been unsure of how to go about this. I have a 2.2 degree from a Red Brick uni , so the usual way of getting a training contract with a big 4 or one of the top 50 is out I guess which is a shame because that was the ideal route.

given my academic situation , would I be best starting on a school leavers programme and study for the AAT ? Or I could try becoming an assistant in an accountancy firm and working my way up ?

The issue I have had when applying to bookkeeping / assistant roles , they have wanted experience in a similar role and I have not had any interviews .

A Level wise I have 360 points from the top three and GCSE English and Maths are at grade B.
Reply 1
Original post by Cutc
I have seriously thought about accountancy as a career but having a law degree I have been unsure of how to go about this. I have a 2.2 degree from a Red Brick uni , so the usual way of getting a training contract with a big 4 or one of the top 50 is out I guess which is a shame because that was the ideal route.

given my academic situation , would I be best starting on a school leavers programme and study for the AAT ? Or I could try becoming an assistant in an accountancy firm and working my way up ?

The issue I have had when applying to bookkeeping / assistant roles , they have wanted experience in a similar role and I have not had any interviews .

A Level wise I have 360 points from the top three and GCSE English and Maths are at grade B.

You can jump straight into graduate roles, some employers are far more forgiving for having a 2.2 rather than missing out on UCAS points.

Im on 280 so 20 short of the standard and on target for a 1st, yet employers are unwilling to accept me but will accept a 2.2 with 300 UCAS.
Reply 2
Original post by Tbx
You can jump straight into graduate roles, some employers are far more forgiving for having a 2.2 rather than missing out on UCAS points.

Im on 280 so 20 short of the standard and on target for a 1st, yet employers are unwilling to accept me but will accept a 2.2 with 300 UCAS.

thanks for the reply. Really ? That gives me hope. I think I should try the high street firms .
Reply 3
Original post by Cutc
thanks for the reply. Really ? That gives me hope. I think I should try the high street firms .

I know for a fact that Jaguar Land Rover accept 2.2's, I think their still open this year and TfL do as well but their closed till next year.
Original post by Cutc

Deloitte tax might be open to you as well
I studied French and Spanish at Uni and then wanted to become a Chartered Accountant... You can sign up to the CFAB (Certificate in Finance, Accounting and Business) which is with ICAEW and is the first level of the ACA (the first 6 exams). I signed up when I was still at university (they are multiple choice, computer based exams) and it can then show aptitude for the exams which will then be continued in order to get the full accountancy qualification. I am selling most of the books now I've passed the exams, but would say it's worth it to get some knowledge before starting in such a time pressured environment.
Have a look at Swat UK. They recruit for a number of smaller firms, some of which require just a 2:2.
Original post by Cutc

Hey, I've applied for a lot of graduate schemes and have turned out unsuccessful for most of them because of my UCAS points and the tests in general imo are really hard. Your A levels are great, you've got more the standard requirement, and with a B in GCSE Maths and English you should be able to apply to most places and get something in return.

Even though you got a 2:2, you went to a red brick university and that plays some sort of advantage. I would advice you to look at graduate schemes (targetjobs), or look for accounting jobs that provide training and require minimal experience. Have a look at "total jobs" or "cv library", they have decent opportunities available. You could always do your AAT, but why not look into CIMA or ACCA?

I know where you're coming from, having studied accounting at uni, I found it hard to find a job because of the experience they wanted, and having none, it was difficult. Another option is if you know any friends or family that have some sort of accounting or finance job, you could always ask for help to get your foot on the ladder? Baring in mind, the pay will be fairly low for a accounts assistant/trainee role, but if you stick to it, do your exams, you'll be doing well in the future!

Hope this helped somehow
I think its better you look some role in compliance or law department and meanwhile study AAT. Compliance is probably the most you can extract out of both intended qualifications.
I did business and accounting at university and unfortunately got a third due to lots of different personal circumstances extremely close to a 2:2.I wanted to know if i should start or complete the ACCA before applying for accounting jobs because i can’t get on any graduate schemes. I’ve found that the majority of jobs require experience and may be the reason i don’t get shortlisted or past the interview stage. Do you think there would be employers out there willing to hire me if I’ve started or completed the ACCA even though i don’t have experience of working in a similar or the same type of position?Is there anyway i could get experience using software like sage as this is one of the requirements?
Original post by Cutc

You can definitely still go for the graduate route - EY for example, have dropped their degree classification requirements so there is nothing stopping you from applying to their graduate scheme once 2017 entries open in the next couple of months :smile:

So far, there is only one position posted for 2017, but keep your eye on their page or twitter account for further updates!

http://www.ey.com/UK/en/Careers/Students/Graduate-Opportunities

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show