BIOLOGY - 7 (A)
SPORT STUDIES - 5 (C)
BUSINESS - 8 (A)
CHEMISTRY - 7 (A)
PHYSICS - 6 (B)
ENGLISH LANGUAGE - 7 (A)
ENGLISH LITERATURE - 6 (B)
MATHS - 6 (B)
What is the best career choice from these gcse option???I was recommending being an acccountant or a pharmacist but cant choose hard decision but which one is better from my grades/options
Original post by aryc_30
COMPUTER SCIENCE - 6 (B)
BIOLOGY - 7 (A)
SPORT STUDIES - 5 (C)
BUSINESS - 8 (A)
CHEMISTRY - 7 (A)
PHYSICS - 6 (B)
ENGLISH LANGUAGE - 7 (A)
MATHS - 6 (B)
What is the best career choice from these gcse option???I was recommending being an acccountant or a pharmacist but cant choose hard decision but which one is better from my grades/options

One thing you should know is that whatever you've done for gcses doesn't affect your career. For example, some people may opt for art related subjects and end up not having a career related to art at all! So gcses are the best way to explore different subjects and see which ones you want to study further.
All that being said, you've got epic grades! I'm sure most career paths will be open to you anyway. Accountancy I think is something that includes quite a bit of maths and pharmacist is definitely science.

Here is a job profile I found for pharmacist:
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/medical/job-profile/pharmacist
You could work quite a bit during holidays and weekends, you also need an a-level in chemistry and you will use some computing skills.

Here is a job profile I found for accountant:
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/finance-accounting/job-profile/management-accountant
This is a management accountant, you need degrees related to accountancy, finance and business
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/finance-accounting/job-profile/private-practice-accountant
This is a private practice accountant, you 100% need maths

Now, it's also important to see which ones you're most interested in, are you more of a maths/business person or a science/technical person? Which job would you think you have the most skills in? And if you really can't decide, there might be other jobs available that merge pharmaceuticals and accountancy together, keep exploring!

I hope that helps and good luck, know that you have so much time to explore different options so don't restrict yourself!
Reply 2
I still dont know what to choose can you tell me which one is the best pharmacy or an accountant from my gcse grades please and also i want to get payed like good salary uk like around 45-50k and also work on weekdays for 8 hours per day so in 5 days that will be 40 hours and also i want to have a good heath and social life so which one do you recommend me to go for pharmacy or accountancy???
Original post by aryc_30
I still dont know what to choose can you tell me which one is the best pharmacy or an accountant from my gcse grades please and also i want to get payed like good salary uk like around 45-50k and also work on weekdays for 8 hours per day so in 5 days that will be 40 hours and also i want to have a good heath and social life so which one do you recommend me to go for pharmacy or accountancy???

I can't really pick for you, I don't know your interests or what type of person you are (it would help if you could talk a bit about yourself), do you really have to make a decision on your entire life career today?
Both careers are really diverse and are growing rapidly and there's more of a need in both careers not only in the uk but abroad too.
The average pay salary for pharmacists are at about 47k, whereas for accountants it's about 34k. Although, for a pharmacist they can work up to above 60k, but for accountants they can work up to over 100k as an annual salary.
Pharmacists work on average around 37 hours per week and accountants work on average for around 43 hours per week - both fields have similar work hours.
It depends on a) work experience b) How long you've been in the field c) your qualifications and skills
You can compare jobs here:
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/information/careerometer

If you want career advice, it's always best to speak to someone you know who is working in the field, or your relatives or staff from your school/university.
Original post by aryc_30
COMPUTER SCIENCE - 6 (B)
BIOLOGY - 7 (A)
SPORT STUDIES - 5 (C)
BUSINESS - 8 (A)
CHEMISTRY - 7 (A)
PHYSICS - 6 (B)
ENGLISH LANGUAGE - 7 (A)
MATHS - 6 (B)

Hi @aryc_30

Congratulations on your GCSE grades, they're amazing!

As I study pharmacy I may be able to give you some insight into Pharmacy as a degree and a career.

To study pharmacy at the University of Huddersfield you must have 5 GCSEs at grade 4/C including Maths and English. For applicants not taking A levels, this must also include GCSE Chemistry and Biology or GCSE Double Award Science/Double Science/Combined Science.

Are you currently studying A Levels or anything equivalent? I only ask as this would be the next step to getting into pharmacy.

To study pharmacy at the University of Huddersfield A Level grades: ABB-BBB are required. This must include A Levels in Chemistry and at least one further science subject from Biology, Maths or Physics. The endorsement for practical work is an essential part of Science A Level study, and is a requirement for entry to our degree course.

You may want to visit: https://courses.hud.ac.uk/2024-25/full-time/undergraduate/pharmacy-mpharm for more information!

Here is a little information about pharmacy as a career:

To become a pharmacist you must study the MPharm degree and complete the foundation training year. This will allow you to sit the GPhC exam which will enable you to start working as a pharmacist.

Following this, pharmacists can work in the community, in hospitals, in GP surgeries or even in industry!

The majority of community pharmacists in the UK work in large retail chains or independent pharmacies of various sizes. Responsibilities as a community pharmacist include:
1. Supplying prescription medicines to the public
2. Selling over-the-counter medicines and advising the public on the treatment of minor ailments
3. Providing a range of services such as the flu vaccination service and health checks such as blood pressure monitoring.

The majority of hospital pharmacists work for hospitals within the NHS. It's also possible to work for private hospitals. Responsibilities as a hospital pharmacist include:
1. Participating in ward rounds to take patient drug histories
2. Liaising with other medical staff on problems patients may experience when taking their medicines
3. Answering questions about medicines from within the hospital, other hospitals and the general public

Pharmacy graduates are also employed in industry by private sector organisations, such as pharmaceutical companies and food and drink companies, to work in areas such as research and development, quality assurance, marketing, sales and management.

Recently, pharmacists have been able to work as prescribers in GP surgeries and health centres.

Qualified pharmacists can work as locum (temporary replacement) pharmacists, either on a self-employed basis or through an agency.

If you have good interpersonal, communication and organisation skills, pharmacy may be suitable for you.

You may want to visit https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/pharmacy for more information!

As you are also thinking about accountancy you could write lists of what you like and don't like about pharmacy and accountancy and take it from there.
Have you had any work experience in a pharmacy or in an accountancy firm? That could help with making a decision too.

I hope this has been of some help!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
Reply 5
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hi @aryc_30

Congratulations on your GCSE grades, they're amazing!

As I study pharmacy I may be able to give you some insight into Pharmacy as a degree and a career.

To study pharmacy at the University of Huddersfield you must have 5 GCSEs at grade 4/C including Maths and English. For applicants not taking A levels, this must also include GCSE Chemistry and Biology or GCSE Double Award Science/Double Science/Combined Science.

Are you currently studying A Levels or anything equivalent? I only ask as this would be the next step to getting into pharmacy.

To study pharmacy at the University of Huddersfield A Level grades: ABB-BBB are required. This must include A Levels in Chemistry and at least one further science subject from Biology, Maths or Physics. The endorsement for practical work is an essential part of Science A Level study, and is a requirement for entry to our degree course.

You may want to visit: https://courses.hud.ac.uk/2024-25/full-time/undergraduate/pharmacy-mpharm for more information!

Here is a little information about pharmacy as a career:

To become a pharmacist you must study the MPharm degree and complete the foundation training year. This will allow you to sit the GPhC exam which will enable you to start working as a pharmacist.

Following this, pharmacists can work in the community, in hospitals, in GP surgeries or even in industry!

The majority of community pharmacists in the UK work in large retail chains or independent pharmacies of various sizes. Responsibilities as a community pharmacist include:
1. Supplying prescription medicines to the public
2. Selling over-the-counter medicines and advising the public on the treatment of minor ailments
3. Providing a range of services such as the flu vaccination service and health checks such as blood pressure monitoring.

The majority of hospital pharmacists work for hospitals within the NHS. It's also possible to work for private hospitals. Responsibilities as a hospital pharmacist include:
1. Participating in ward rounds to take patient drug histories
2. Liaising with other medical staff on problems patients may experience when taking their medicines
3. Answering questions about medicines from within the hospital, other hospitals and the general public

Pharmacy graduates are also employed in industry by private sector organisations, such as pharmaceutical companies and food and drink companies, to work in areas such as research and development, quality assurance, marketing, sales and management.

Recently, pharmacists have been able to work as prescribers in GP surgeries and health centres.

Qualified pharmacists can work as locum (temporary replacement) pharmacists, either on a self-employed basis or through an agency.

If you have good interpersonal, communication and organisation skills, pharmacy may be suitable for you.

You may want to visit https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/pharmacy for more information!

As you are also thinking about accountancy you could write lists of what you like and don't like about pharmacy and accountancy and take it from there.
Have you had any work experience in a pharmacy or in an accountancy firm? That could help with making a decision too.

I hope this has been of some help!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:

Thanks for the advice if i do go for pharmacy i will have to go to manchester university (UoM) and do the Mpharm course 4 years i think i am currently getting ready to choose my a levels what a levels should i pick if i wanna become an pharmacist i was thinking chemistry,maths,biology simple but idk?
Reply 6
I think i wanna talk to you what do you think i should go for pharmacy or accountancy???and what a levels should i pick if i am in this situation because my a levels have to be good options because i need to pick what i wanna be when i grow up and those are my top 2 options

Original post by *LifeHappens*
I can't really pick for you, I don't know your interests or what type of person you are (it would help if you could talk a bit about yourself), do you really have to make a decision on your entire life career today?
Both careers are really diverse and are growing rapidly and there's more of a need in both careers not only in the uk but abroad too.
The average pay salary for pharmacists are at about 47k, whereas for accountants it's about 34k. Although, for a pharmacist they can work up to above 60k, but for accountants they can work up to over 100k as an annual salary.
Pharmacists work on average around 37 hours per week and accountants work on average for around 43 hours per week - both fields have similar work hours.
It depends on a) work experience b) How long you've been in the field c) your qualifications and skills
You can compare jobs here:
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/information/careerometer

If you want career advice, it's always best to speak to someone you know who is working in the field, or your relatives or staff from your school/university.
Original post by aryc_30
I think i wanna talk to you what do you think i should go for pharmacy or accountancy???and what a levels should i pick if i am in this situation because my a levels have to be good options because i need to pick what i wanna be when i grow up and those are my top 2 options

If you have no personal preference, look towards your grades and see how they're like. Looking at your gcses, you seem rlly confident in your sciences and I think you might enjoy it. If you want to, try out for pharmacy and see how it goes, if it's something you don't enjoy you can always go for accountancy later on.
In terms of a-levels, maths, bio and chem are the main ones if you're considering pharmacy/accounting. (chem is compulsory for most pharmacy jobs, so really consider that) You can do up to 5 a-levels with a minimum of 3, so if you're considering other subjects there's room for that too.
Both careers are quite demanding, but I feel like if you were to go into accounting you need maths-related skills, so go for accounting if you're a maths-oriented person. If you're more for science, (which I can see reflected in your bio and chem grades) then research and get more advice based on pharmacy.
Note that it's possible to switch careers at any point if you don't like the field you're studying for, keep exploring!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
What A level options should i pick if i were to be an accountant???

Original post by *LifeHappens*
If you have no personal preference, look towards your grades and see how they're like. Looking at your gcses, you seem rlly confident in your sciences and I think you might enjoy it. If you want to, try out for pharmacy and see how it goes, if it's something you don't enjoy you can always go for accountancy later on.
In terms of a-levels, maths, bio and chem are the main ones if you're considering pharmacy/accounting. (chem is compulsory for most pharmacy jobs, so really consider that) You can do up to 5 a-levels with a minimum of 3, so if you're considering other subjects there's room for that too.
Both careers are quite demanding, but I feel like if you were to go into accounting you need maths-related skills, so go for accounting if you're a maths-oriented person. If you're more for science, (which I can see reflected in your bio and chem grades) then research and get more advice based on pharmacy.
Note that it's possible to switch careers at any point if you don't like the field you're studying for, keep exploring!
Original post by aryc_30
What A level options should i pick if i were to be an accountant???

"If you have no personal preference, look towards your grades and see how they're like. Looking at your gcses, you seem rlly confident in your sciences and I think you might enjoy it. If you want to, try out for pharmacy and see how it goes, if it's something you don't enjoy you can always go for accountancy later on.

Note that it's possible to switch careers at any point if you don't like the field you're studying for, keep exploring!"

I put that sentence in bold for you :smile:

Maths, business studies and economics are the most popular ones for accountancy - maths is a requirement
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by aryc_30
Thanks for the advice if i do go for pharmacy i will have to go to manchester university (UoM) and do the Mpharm course 4 years i think i am currently getting ready to choose my a levels what a levels should i pick if i wanna become an pharmacist i was thinking chemistry,maths,biology simple but idk?

Hi @aryc_30

Like previously mentioned what you choose for your A Levels is personal preference. You should think about what you enjoy studying and the entry requirements for your chosen university and course.
Generally, Biology, Chemistry and Maths are A Level subjects which can open doors to many careers, however, it would be best to check the entry requirements.

Reply 11
Just to note you can always do a degree in pharmacy and if you don't like it you can train to be an accountant instead by joining a graduate scheme.

However if your set on accounting you don't even need a levels to become an accountant you can complete your AAT qualifications and then study further to become a chartered accountant by taking either the ACCA, ACA or CIMA qualifcations.

Quick Reply

Latest