The Student Room Group

Mental health urgent course

Can you become a psychologist with a masters conversion course in psychology?
Original post by teecool7
Can you become a psychologist with a masters conversion course in psychology?

No, not if you mean you want to practice psychology (as opposed to doing research or teaching). A master's conversion course is for those who have not studied psychology at undergraduate level, or have but on a course which wasn't BPS accredited. The master's conversion course earns you graduate basis for chartered membership of the BPS, normally abbreviated as GBC.

What that gives you is the right to take a postgraduate degree in the particular branch of psychology you want to practice (clinical, forensic, educational, etc.). Once you have that postgraduate degree (a doctorate or masters, depending on the branch of psychology) you can register with the HCPC. And then you have the right to call yourself a Clinical Psychologist, Forensic Psychologist, etc. (These job titles are legally protected - you can't use them without jumping through the aforementioned hoops.)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
No, not if you mean you want to practice psychology (as opposed to doing research or teaching). A master's conversion course is for those who have not studied psychology at undergraduate level, or have but on a course which wasn't BPS accredited. The master's conversion course earns you graduate basis for chartered membership of the BPS, normally abbreviated as GBC.

What that gives you is the right to take a postgraduate degree in the particular branch of psychology you want to practice (clinical, forensic, educational, etc.). Once you have that postgraduate degree (a doctorate or masters, depending on the branch of psychology) you can register with the HCPC. And then you have the right to call yourself a Clinical Psychologist, Forensic Psychologist, etc. (These job titles are legally protected - you can't use them without jumping through the aforementioned hoops.)

So you can become a clinical psychologist with a masters conversion course in psychology?
So you can become a clinical psychologist with a masters conversion course in psychology?

Having taken the master's conversion course you gain GBC. That meets the educational requirements of a doctorate in clinical psychology. (There are also other requirements.) Once you've passed that, you can register with the HCPC and practice as a Clinical Psychologist.
Reply 4
Having taken the master's conversion course you gain GBC. That meets the educational requirements of a doctorate in clinical psychology. (There are also other requirements.) Once you've passed that, you can register with the HCPC and practice as a Clinical Psychologist.

I don't quite understand. My lecturer said I can become a psychologist with a masters conversion course in psychology.
Reply 5

Is being a psychologist dangerous?
I don't quite understand. My lecturer said I can become a psychologist with a masters conversion course in psychology.

Then I suggest you direct your lecturer to the "Career options in psychology" page on the BPS web site. Do so yourself. Follow the links to each psychology profession and see what it says.

Let's try, "Clinical Psychologist":
"To become a Chartered member of the society through the clinical training route, you'll need the following qualifications:
1. Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) - achieved by completing a society accredited degree or conversion course
2. a Society accredited Doctorate in Clinical Psychology"

What about "Forensic Psychologist"?
"To become a forensic psychologist you'll need the following qualifications:
1. Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) - this is achieved by completing a society accredited degree or conversion course
2. Society-accredited Masters in Forensic Psychology
3. Completion of an HCPC approved programme"

Hmm. Occupational Psychologist?
" To become a Chartered Member of the society through the occupational psychology training route, you will need the following qualifications:
1. Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC). This is achieved by completing a society accredited degree or conversion course and
2. Society accredited Masters in Occupational Psychology
3. Stage 2 of the Society’s Qualification in Occupational Psychology (two years supervised practice)"

Educational Psychologist?
"To become a Chartered Member of the society through the educational psychology training route, you will need the following qualifications:
1. Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC). This is achieved by completing a society accredited degree or conversion course
2. A society accredited Doctorate in Educational Psychology or, for Scotland only, an accredited masters course in Educational Psychology followed by the Qualification in Educational Psychology (Scotland) (Stage 2)"

Health Psychologist?
"To become a Chartered Member of the society through the health psychology training route, you will need the following qualifications:
1. Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC). This is achieved by completing a society accredited degree or conversion course
2. A society accredited Masters in Health Psychology"

Sports and Exercise Psychologist?
"To become a Chartered member of the society through the sport and exercise psychology training route, you will need the following qualifications:
2. A Society accredited Masters in Sport and Exercise Psychology"

Ask you lecturer what they mean by "become a psychologist". They certainly don't mean any of the above professions.

Or you could read the "Understanding the regulation of psychologists" page on the HCPC web site. It lists the legally protected job titles, for which all of the above applies. They do, however, point out that the word "psychologist" on its own is not legally protected. So anyone can claim to be a psychologist. Including you. Now. Perhaps this is what your lecturer means?
Reply 7
Is being a psychologist dangerous?

No, not generally.

As above posts by DataVenia highlights you need to do some basic research first. You will do a lot of it as a psychologist, so might as well start now.

Greg
Reply 8
Original post by greg tony
No, not generally.

As above posts by DataVenia highlights you need to do some basic research first. You will do a lot of it as a psychologist, so might as well start now.

Greg

I'm on antipsychotics I have less understanding because of them
I'm on antipsychotics I have less understanding because of them

If there's a chance that you may still be on antipsychotic medications at the point of beginning to practice, then you should be aware of paragraph 6.3 in HCPC's Standards of conduct, performance and ethics, which says:

"6.3 You must make changes to how you practise, or stop practising, if your physical or mental health may affect your performance or judgement, or put others at risk for any other reason."

Your phrase "have less understanding" doesn't sound a million miles away from "affect your performance or judgement".
Reply 10
If there's a chance that you may still be on antipsychotic medications at the point of beginning to practice, then you should be aware of paragraph 6.3 in HCPC's Standards of conduct, performance and ethics, which says:

"6.3 You must make changes to how you practise, or stop practising, if your physical or mental health may affect your performance or judgement, or put others at risk for any other reason."

Your phrase "have less understanding" doesn't sound a million miles away from "affect your performance or judgement".

You're very intelligent by the way. You're good at remembering things.
Reply 11
No, not generally.

Greg

What career job do you do?
What career job do you do?

Clinical psychologist.

Greg
Reply 13
Clinical psychologist.

Greg

That's a good job. Can you explain what I can do after a masters conversion course in psychology to become a psychologist or clinical psychologist please?
That's a good job. Can you explain what I can do after a masters conversion course in psychology to become a psychologist or clinical psychologist please?

Datavenia already told you, but to reiterate. You need experience of generally at least a years fulltime in an appropriate role (normally 2 to 3 years in roles like assistant psychologist, or other mental health roles) and then you apply for the doctorate, which then takes 3 years (same for clinical or educational psychologists). Its a long, competitive and uncertain path so id advise doing your research on these roles and other ones in mental health. You dont need to be a psychologist to make a difference in peoples lives.

Greg
Reply 15
Datavenia already told you, but to reiterate. You need experience of generally at least a years fulltime in an appropriate role (normally 2 to 3 years in roles like assistant psychologist, or other mental health roles) and then you apply for the doctorate, which then takes 3 years (same for clinical or educational psychologists). Its a long, competitive and uncertain path so id advise doing your research on these roles and other ones in mental health. You dont need to be a psychologist to make a difference in peoples lives.

Greg

Do antipsychotics numb your feelings and get rid of your thoughts forever?
Do antipsychotics numb your feelings and get rid of your thoughts forever?

Your GP or mental health team are the ones to go to, but yes and no in that order.

Quick Reply

Latest