The Student Room Group

My boyfriend doesn't spend time with me anymore?

:smile: Thanks to the people who are reading this to try and help me out.
So I will begin:

I've started dating in university and wanted to know when do you know if the relationship is overdue for a breakup?
The reason I am asking this is because my boyfriend doesn't make effort to see me anymore, he's always been busy with work in general. But when we first dated, everything was like the honeymoon phase - it was perfect, we kept in contact, we spoke everyday - the usual.

Now onto a year and a bit...
He's oblivious, but our relationship has always been the same with no changes or plans to go out together. Is it harsh to say that I feel neglected? :s-smilie: We don't communicate anymore, but there are the occasional I love you but whenever we meet in person it's bonded by lust.

Does anyone understand why someone would act like this?
If he's not interested in me that's okay, but I don't see the reason to drag out a relationship if the interest is already gone.
Neglected? Seriously? I dont blame the guy.
Reply 2
I have been with my partner for 4 years, the first year is a FULL honeymoon phase, constant texting, constant love, the whole fairy tale beginning. After the first year it dies down abit, people think its because they dont love you or you dont love them anymore but its just the way relationships work, you become to comfortable in the relationship that you dont have to try constantly impress them. It takes two though! text him randomley saying you love him or you wana go for dinner or something! if you make the effort then at least you tried, if you still get nothing back then maybe it is the end unfortunately. every couple need attention, just depends on if their willing to give it, if not then find someone who will!
Original post by Anonymous
:smile: Thanks to the people who are reading this to try and help me out.
So I will begin:

I've started dating in university and wanted to know when do you know if the relationship is overdue for a breakup?
The reason I am asking this is because my boyfriend doesn't make effort to see me anymore, he's always been busy with work in general. But when we first dated, everything was like the honeymoon phase - it was perfect, we kept in contact, we spoke everyday - the usual.

Now onto a year and a bit...
He's oblivious, but our relationship has always been the same with no changes or plans to go out together. Is it harsh to say that I feel neglected? :s-smilie: We don't communicate anymore, but there are the occasional I love you but whenever we meet in person it's bonded by lust.

Does anyone understand why someone would act like this?
If he's not interested in me that's okay, but I don't see the reason to drag out a relationship if the interest is already gone.

Have you both actually talked about this, he obviously doesn't realise, you both need to communicate with each other about all this.
Reply 4
Original post by College_Dropout
Neglected? Seriously? I dont blame the guy.

Elaborate? You don't have to side with me, but I want to know why you say this.
Reply 5
Original post by Rock Fan
Have you both actually talked about this, he obviously doesn't realise, you both need to communicate with each other about all this.

Yeah, but he doesn't know what to do. And to make matters worse, the last time we saw each other was a month ago.
Elaborate? You don't have to side with me, but I want to know why you say this.

You feel neglected because you dont communicate as much as before, you seem too needy from what you have said which would put me off personally.
Reply 7
Original post by cmlynch
I have been with my partner for 4 years, the first year is a FULL honeymoon phase, constant texting, constant love, the whole fairy tale beginning. After the first year it dies down abit, people think its because they dont love you or you dont love them anymore but its just the way relationships work, you become to comfortable in the relationship that you dont have to try constantly impress them. It takes two though! text him randomley saying you love him or you wana go for dinner or something! if you make the effort then at least you tried, if you still get nothing back then maybe it is the end unfortunately. every couple need attention, just depends on if their willing to give it, if not then find someone who will!

I understand why you say this but yes, I also wonder if it's because I'm an extrovert and he's an introvert.
Thanks though:smile:
Reply 8
You feel neglected because you dont communicate as much as before, you seem too needy from what you have said which would put me off personally.

Yeah but...... say if you saw your girlfriend - once a month.
Would that be okay with you? and by saying that, you spend roughly 10-15 minutes during that time together. TBH, I don't think I'm that needy. :s-smilie:
If you're not happy with the way things are, talk to him about it. If he doesn't want to change you either put up or break up - it's up to you. Relationships mean different things to different people. Some might be perfectly happy the way you are, whereas others definitely wouldn't be.
Yeah but...... say if you saw your girlfriend - once a month.
Would that be okay with you? and by saying that, you spend roughly 10-15 minutes during that time together. TBH, I don't think I'm that needy. :s-smilie:

Why dont you communicate more with him?
Why dont you communicate more with him?

I would, but right now the problem is arranging times to see him.
He says he is always busy and doesn't have much time. So I'm pretty slumped.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
If you're not happy with the way things are, talk to him about it. If he doesn't want to change you either put up or break up - it's up to you. Relationships mean different things to different people. Some might be perfectly happy the way you are, whereas others definitely wouldn't be.

You're right :smile: I don't need someone to be by my side 24/7, I just want to have a proper conversation every few days or so. That's really it, I wonder if I just expect too much from my SO.
You're right :smile: I don't need someone to be by my side 24/7, I just want to have a proper conversation every few days or so. That's really it, I wonder if I just expect too much from my SO.

I would definitely expect proper conversation after a year or so together.. in fact I get annoyed when my partner doesn't bother texting me during the day. Sometimes I leave it and see if he'll text me first in the morning ha ha but he never does! Not unless he wants something anyway.
Seeing your boyfriend once a month, and then only for 10-15 minutes, with not much in the way of contact in-between, isn't much of a relationship (at least, it wouldn't be to me). I think you're far from needy. Wanting to have some decent conversations with your boyfriend, and seeing him more than once a month is not needy at all.

I think it's time to have a proper chat with him. When you next contact him, let him know that you want to meet up and that it's important to you that you do so. If he brushes you off after that, I guess you have your answer. If he does arrange a meeting, ask him what he wants from the relationship, and let him know what you want from it, and see if you're both on similar wavelengths. Hopefully, you can make it work. If not, at least you'll know and you won't be left guessing.

Good luck!
I want to use this medium to testify of how i got back my ex husband after divorce, i and my husband have been married for 14 years with 4 kids, we have been a happy family. Last year his behavior towards me and the kids changed, i suspected he was meeting another woman outside out marriage, any time i confronted him, he threatened to divorce me, i did all i could to make hings right but all to no avail until i saw a post on a
I understand why you say this but yes, I also wonder if it's because I'm an extrovert and he's an introvert.
Thanks though:smile:

Personally I don’t think the whole introvert extrovert thing should be affecting whether he makes an effort to communicate with you! Talk to this about him, and tell him what you want to change, and let him do the same. Then you both have something to work with and can see how things go from there.
ohh no not fair

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending