The Student Room Group

Anyone fancy a Reliant Robin?

Can't say I do, but this one is worth a look for sure! Not sure I'd drive it though as they have a tendency to tip over.

http://timewarptuesday.wordpress.com/2014/12/23/wtf-roofless-robin/
Reply 1
I've had a Rialto.
The idea that they are prone to rolling over is absolute bull****. It's the same sort of uninformed drivel you get know it alls spouting at the bar to the effect that all Porsche 911's swap ends at a moments notice. In both cases, unless you're driving like a monumental cock - it's just not true.
Anyway, the rialto is quite a lot of fun to drive. It's like a rolly polly go-kart. The 850cc engine means it's a bit down on power and you're mostly between 2nd and 3rd gear a lot. 4th is only really any good on a flat duel carriageway as it won't really pull the gear around town.

They are very cheap; sub £500 and an awful lot of fun. Not everyone can drive them, though. If you're passing your test now you'd need a bike licence to drive them - a new car licence won't cover you.
Fortunately, I'm old enough to keep grandfather rights and can still drive these things on my regular car licence.

Anyway... here's my old car...

When was the cut off for the licenses for driving them? I passed in 2007, so I'm hoping I can still purchase one impulsively after a few drinks lol.
I think they've changed it or are intending to change it recently so both bikers and car licence holders can drive trikes.
Someone on my street used to have this car!
Never saw him tip over once, but if it's a old
classic you're after, I would personally get a
mini instead.
Original post by Yummy Koochy
Someone on my street used to have this car!
Never saw him tip over once, but if it's a old
classic you're after, I would personally get a
mini instead.

Don't get me wrong, the Mini is the better all rounder. But the problem is that the original Minis are a lot more expensive. This is why I never bought one to be honest.
Reply 6
Mini's are ****e.

Triumph Dolomite is a better bet if you want a small classic saloon.
Original post by monkeyman1990
Don't get me wrong, the Mini is the better all rounder. But the problem is that the original Minis are a lot more expensive. This is why I never bought one to be honest.

Ah, thats cool. Wud've recommended you a cheap car but the below has freaked me out haha.

Original post by JC.
Mini's are ****e.

LOL! EACH TO THEIR OWN I GUESS.
Original post by JC.
Mini's are ****e.

Each to their own, but I prefer the car to be propelling me to work, not the other way round :wink:
Reply 9
Each to their own, but I prefer the car to be propelling me to work, not the other way round :wink:

So you think a car with it's radiator in the passenger side wing is going to achieve that?
Mini's are ****e.
Can't say I do, but this one is worth a look for sure! Not sure I'd drive it though as they have a tendency to tip over.

http://timewarptuesday.wordpress.com/2014/12/23/wtf-roofless-robin/

Id never have one.
Original post by JC.
So you think a car with it's radiator in the passenger side wing is going to achieve that?
Mini's are ****e.

Well let's face it, British car of this entire era were rubbish. The thing with the Mini though is that it makes an ideal classic car investment, as prices are still rising, even for completely shagged examples.
Original post by JC.
I've had a Rialto.
The idea that they are prone to rolling over is absolute bull****. It's the same sort of uninformed drivel you get know it alls spouting at the bar to the effect that all Porsche 911's swap ends at a moments notice. In both cases, unless you're driving like a monumental cock - it's just not true.
Anyway, the rialto is quite a lot of fun to drive. It's like a rolly polly go-kart. The 850cc engine means it's a bit down on power and you're mostly between 2nd and 3rd gear a lot. 4th is only really any good on a flat duel carriageway as it won't really pull the gear around town.

They are very cheap; sub £500 and an awful lot of fun. Not everyone can drive them, though. If you're passing your test now you'd need a bike licence to drive them - a new car licence won't cover you.
Fortunately, I'm old enough to keep grandfather rights and can still drive these things on my regular car licence.

Anyway... here's my old car...

i love the optimism with the tow bar
Reply 13
Original post by Boristhethird
i love the optimism with the tow bar

Towball mounted Bike rack! :wink:

... Although I will admit I did lug a massive 8 x 4 quadbike trailer round the block to my mates house for a giggle! :biggrin:
I would like to have a go at driving one to experience what it is like to drive however I would probably end up doing what Jeremy Clarkson did in Top Gear when he drove one. I wouldn't want to own one though
Original post by JC.
Mini's are ****e.

Ive had a fair few of them. I think they are alright....

Ive never had a standard one either.....

Ranging from a cammed and headed 1275 to a full blown twin cam headed 1100cc monster. 370bhp/tonne in a mini is an interesting experience.....
Yes. I'd love any classic car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending