The Student Room Group

After a degree in Accounting and Finance?

I've just finished my A-levels, and I got an offer from uni of Manchester to study Accounting and Finance. I'm just wondering what are the professional qualifications that I have to study for,after my degree to become a chartered accountant? Its a lifelong dream of mine :colondollar: :confused:
I took science subjects in A-levels, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Math. Will I find it difficult when I study this degree? I heard that economics is important right? A little blur here...please help. Thanks :smile:
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
Original post by carissa95
I've just finished my A-levels, and I got an offer from uni of Manchester to study Accounting and Finance. I'm just wondering what are the professional qualifications that I have to study for,after my degree to become a chartered accountant? Its a lifelong dream of mine :colondollar: :confused:
I took science subjects in A-levels, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Math. Will I find it difficult when I study this degree? I heard that economics is important right? A little blur here...please help. Thanks :smile:

The A-levels you've taken are really nice, if you've got good grades in it then I recon you could go to a really good uni and do what you like.
The degree subject is not as critical in pursuing an ac qualification, which one you choose depends where you want to initially pursue a career - industry, practice, public or not for profit sector

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm actually left asking my self what next after my degree as well.:confused:
Think about what sort of thing - work environment, skills & experiences you have & would like to develop. In general a professional qualification (with experience) gives greater opportunities

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will be alright in A&F with your A levels, don't worry. If you want to be a chartered accountant, join an accounting firm after graduation and they will be able to train and guide you to chartered status easily. They do that all the time.
There are a number of ways to become a qualified accountant, not just by joining an ac firm - industry, public sector and government

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

im in exactly the same boat as you, I'm doing my a2's in math, chem and bio. applying for a&f, this is one question i've been trying to find out too? but why did u pick them subjects when you knew you wanted to be an accountant?

Hey,

Just saw your post in 'After a Accounting & Finance Degree' and wasn't sure whether you had found the answer you were looking for.

I was in a similar situation as you. For my A-levels I did: Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Philosophy & Ethics. It was my life long dream of becoming a Chartered Accountant too!

I applied for Accounting & Finance for university. I've now done all my Chartered Accountancy exams. I only have 2 months left of work experience until I'm officially qualified!

In terms of difficulty, when you join uni they start accounting/economics/finance right from the basics. The people who have done Business/Accounting for A-levels will have an easy few weeks before they start learning 'new' material. I would say around 60% of the people in my class had done like Business/Economics A-levels and I was surprised by the number of people who hadn't, I thought I would have been the only one!

In terms of the professional qualification to become a Chartered Accountant, there are 3 main bodies in the UK (ICAEW, ICAS and ICAI). Once you graduate you will have to obtain a job with an accounting firm who are registered with one of the professional bodies.

The accounting firm will put you through the training for these exams and body has a different structure of exams (ICAS have 10 exams whereas ICAEW have 15). The 3 bodies teach the same material pretty much, just have the material spaced differently. It usually takes around 3 years after graduating to become a fully qualified chartered accountant, it takes around 2 to 2.5 years to sit the exams and you need around 3 years of 'time' experience.

If you're keen to become a Chartered Accountant I wouldn't let your A-level choices deter you - when I graduated and joined Ernst & Young there was around 50:50 ratio between those who had done an Accounting degree and those who hadn't. The ones who hadn't done an Accounting degree were passing the Chartered Accounting exams just as well as the ones who had an Accounting degree! I don't mean to confuse you more but you could do a non-Accounting degree and then get an accounting job and study towards the Chartered Accounting qualification afterwards.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you need to ask anything else feel free to contact me!

Kashif
Original post by KashifSalim
Hey,

Just saw your post in 'After a Accounting & Finance Degree' and wasn't sure whether you had found the answer you were looking for.

I was in a similar situation as you. For my A-levels I did: Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Philosophy & Ethics. It was my life long dream of becoming a Chartered Accountant too!

I applied for Accounting & Finance for university. I've now done all my Chartered Accountancy exams. I only have 2 months left of work experience until I'm officially qualified!

In terms of difficulty, when you join uni they start accounting/economics/finance right from the basics. The people who have done Business/Accounting for A-levels will have an easy few weeks before they start learning 'new' material. I would say around 60% of the people in my class had done like Business/Economics A-levels and I was surprised by the number of people who hadn't, I thought I would have been the only one!

In terms of the professional qualification to become a Chartered Accountant, there are 3 main bodies in the UK (ICAEW, ICAS and ICAI). Once you graduate you will have to obtain a job with an accounting firm who are registered with one of the professional bodies.

The accounting firm will put you through the training for these exams and body has a different structure of exams (ICAS have 10 exams whereas ICAEW have 15). The 3 bodies teach the same material pretty much, just have the material spaced differently. It usually takes around 3 years after graduating to become a fully qualified chartered accountant, it takes around 2 to 2.5 years to sit the exams and you need around 3 years of 'time' experience.

If you're keen to become a Chartered Accountant I wouldn't let your A-level choices deter you - when I graduated and joined Ernst & Young there was around 50:50 ratio between those who had done an Accounting degree and those who hadn't. The ones who hadn't done an Accounting degree were passing the Chartered Accounting exams just as well as the ones who had an Accounting degree! I don't mean to confuse you more but you could do a non-Accounting degree and then get an accounting job and study towards the Chartered Accounting qualification afterwards.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you need to ask anything else feel free to contact me!

Kashif

Im not clear about the structure of the qualification.So after gaining a degree you need to look for an auditing or accounting firm affiliated with the 3 acting bodies you mention which you need to take for about 3 years.I just want to know if you are basically being employed in that firm and getting trained at the same time to finish the 3 yr requirement before taking the CA qualification exam?or do you need to be employed in an accounting firm as part of your training and should you also be taking modules to study at the same time and paying for it so after you finish the 3year training and the course you can take the CA exam to be qualified? how does it go?

-confused:confused:
Kashi makes some good points & outlines the route for chartered a/c - there are three other main professional bodies - ACCA, CIMA & CIPFA

Posted from TSR Mobile
a life long dream to become an accountant? not sure if srs
Original post by Shaynedecember
Im not clear about the structure of the qualification.So after gaining a degree you need to look for an auditing or accounting firm affiliated with the 3 acting bodies you mention which you need to take for about 3 years.I just want to know if you are basically being employed in that firm and getting trained at the same time to finish the 3 yr requirement before taking the CA qualification exam?or do you need to be employed in an accounting firm as part of your training and should you also be taking modules to study at the same time and paying for it so after you finish the 3year training and the course you can take the CA exam to be qualified? how does it go?

-confused:confused:

Hey

Yeah you will need to get a job with an accounting/auditing firm which is a registered firm of one of the 3 acting bodies. I don't have a list of all the firms which are registered, but for example the big four and a lot of the mid-tier accounting firms are.

In my case, at EY for my graduate offer I was given a 3-year training contract. Over these 3 years, EY will allow me to take paid time off work to study for the Chartered Accountancy qualification (these are normally in batches throughout the year) and EY paid for the tuition and exam fees. By the time the 3-years are up, you will have passed all the Chartered Accountancy exams and you will have fulfilled all your time requirements and so you should become fully qualified.

Different accounting firms will do this in a slightly different way (e.g. some will require you to pay for the exam fees) and the structure of when the exams are sat will depend on which body you are studying for.

Hope this helps!
It helped Kashif. It seems that EY have a good scheme then for covering the exam fees. I am also thinking if by taking the 3 year contract training if anyone will be able to take the AQ (audit qualification) at the same time. I don't have an idea if juggling two qualification will be too much too handle or not. But thank you though cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending