The Student Room Group

Bsc Accouting and finance or Bsc Finance

Will i have the same career prospects as that of bsc finance if I do bsc accounting and finance course?
I'm also rlly confused if bsc accounting and finance would have 50/50 of both the subjects or would majorly focus on accounting.
(edited 6 months ago)
Employers won't give a toss what your degree subject is in that area. They just care that you got a degree at all at 2:1 or above (and for investment banking/management consulting, that you went to a target uni), and that you have relevant internships/placements/etc.

Doing an accounting degree (including A&F) just has the specific benefit if that if you do decide to go into accountancy, you will normally have at least some exemptions from some of the professional exams (major accounting firms normally have them go onto a specific track for those with those exemptions I gather).

Note you'd also have the same job prospects with either of those degrees as with a degree in marine biology, Egyptology, social anthropology or anything else.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Employers won't give a toss what your degree subject is in that area. They just care that you got a degree at all at 2:1 or above (and for investment banking/management consulting, that you went to a target uni), and that you have relevant internships/placements/etc.

Doing an accounting degree (including A&F) just has the specific benefit if that if you do decide to go into accountancy, you will normally have at least some exemptions from some of the professional exams (major accounting firms normally have them go onto a specific track for those with those exemptions I gather).

Note you'd also have the same job prospects with either of those degrees as with a degree in marine biology, Egyptology, social anthropology or anything else.

Oh okay..Thank you
Reply 3
Which university? Finance degrees vary a lot in the U.K.
Reply 4
Was looking at LSE
Reply 5
Original post by Nikhita19
Was looking at LSE

Sounds great! My immediate impression is that LSE finance is much more quantitative than most (any?) A+F degrees. I suspect if you like the LSE finance course and want to be in London it would be worth looking at financial maths at QM and Maths with management and finance at KCL as an alternative course.
Reply 6
one of my subjects is applied math which does not include the science part(trig and stuff) of math but KCL is not accepting applied math as an alternative for A level in math
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 7
one of my subjects is applied math which does not include the science part(trig and stuff) of math but KCL is not accepting applied math as an alternative for A level in math

I’d check that you meet the LSE finance requirements to be competitive. I’d be nervous that these are tougher than kcl maths.
Reply 8
Original post by ajj2000
I’d check that you meet the LSE finance requirements to be competitive. I’d be nervous that these are tougher than kcl maths.

I've checked the LSE requirements and they're accepting Applied math as an A level
Reply 9
Original post by Oracle89
Will i have the same career prospects as that of bsc finance if I do bsc accounting and finance course?
I'm also rlly confused if bsc accounting and finance would have 50/50 of both the subjects or would majorly focus on accounting.
Hey! If you’d like to apply for an Accounting and Finance degree with a Foundation year starting in 2024, I can help you make an application. I know that Canterbury Christ Church University are still open to students applying. Their requirements are a CV and personal statement which I can help you with if you’d like and they don't require the same grade requirements that you’re worrying about. Send me a message and I can help :smile:

Hey
I've thankfully met the requirements for the course that i want in my preferred unis.Thanks for offering:smile:
Hey! Let me break it down for you: opting for a BSc in Accounting and Finance won't limit your career prospects compared to a BSc in Finance. In fact, it can broaden them. Yes the program might lean slightly more towards accounting and that's not a bad thing at all as accounting is the backbone of finance. And it gives you a solid base to build upon which a lot of recruiters look for.
As for the balance between the two subjects, it varies from program to program. So, don't stress too much about the percentages. Focus on soaking up as much knowledge as you can, and you'll be well-equipped for whatever career path you choose in finance.
Hiba Ouadia
Richmond Student Ambassador
Original post by Richmond Hiba
Hey! Let me break it down for you: opting for a BSc in Accounting and Finance won't limit your career prospects compared to a BSc in Finance. In fact, it can broaden them. Yes the program might lean slightly more towards accounting and that's not a bad thing at all as accounting is the backbone of finance. And it gives you a solid base to build upon which a lot of recruiters look for.
As for the balance between the two subjects, it varies from program to program. So, don't stress too much about the percentages. Focus on soaking up as much knowledge as you can, and you'll be well-equipped for whatever career path you choose in finance.
Hiba Ouadia

Hey Nikhita19! Absolutely, opting for a BSc in Accounting and Finance won't limit your career prospects compared to a BSc in Finance. Furthermore, it will broaden them. And as for the program leaning more towards accounting, mine at Richmond for instance does that because I get 9 exemptions for ACCA but you should check for the different programs you are applying for. Personally, I prefer this emphasis on accounting because I consider it extremely fundamental to finance. A solid foundation in accounting will provide you with a strong base to build upon, which many recruiters highly value.

Cheers,
Hiba Ouadia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending