The Student Room Group

Realistically how hard to become an accountant without a degree and just the AAT lvl?

AAT told me that it can be done with just their lvl 4 diploma. Is this likely though!?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by moomin valley
AAT told me that it can be done with just their lvl 4 diploma. Is this likely though!?

Thanks.

Happens every day. Why would it be unlikely?
Original post by ajj2000
Happens every day. Why would it be unlikely?

Im getting mixed information. So whats the point in getting a degree then??
Reply 3
Im getting mixed information. So whats the point in getting a degree then??

Will jot some notes later - could you give a bit of background to your interest in the subject? This is widely discussed - I don't believe that there is an over-riding opinion but the consensus seems to be that given a choice between doing an A+F degree or doing an apprenticeship most people should take the apprenticeship.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Hello there,
In my opinion While it may be harder without a degree, dedication and a proactive approach can help you succeed in an accounting career with AAT Level qualifications like,
Gaining some practical experience
Seek internships or entry-level accounting positions to build your resume.
Pursue additional certifications.
Stay updated on accounting regulations and industry trends to demonstrate your commitment to the field.
Develop a strong portfolio of your accounting work to demonstrate your competence to potential employers.
Reply 5
Original post by tysonzach
Hello there,
In my opinion While it may be harder without a degree, dedication and a proactive approach can help you succeed in an accounting career with AAT Level qualifications like,
Gaining some practical experience
Seek internships or entry-level accounting positions to build your resume.
Pursue additional certifications.
Stay updated on accounting regulations and industry trends to demonstrate your commitment to the field.
Develop a strong portfolio of your accounting work to demonstrate your competence to potential employers.

Was this from a chat GPT type site or a regurgitation of careers advice cliches?
Original post by ajj2000
Will jot some notes later - could you give a bit of background to your interest in the subject? This is widely discussed - I don't believe that there is an over-riding opinion but the consensus seems to be that given a choice between doing an A+F degree or doing an apprenticeship most people should take the apprenticeship.

Thanks ajj, its appreciated! Tbh, I still dont even know if I'd enjoy it. do you think there is a better way for me to figure out whether Id enjoy a career in law or accounting than the As text books? I need to figure this out asap. Am considering goign through the As qualification, at least a good chunk of both , obviously not just reading but doing the exercises.

Background: Am a mature student that just failed an engineering degree, had catastrophic life events, but still dont want to retry it regardless.

As I was a private student, I couldnt even get any A level qualifications during covid, the uni was nice enough to give me a skype invigialted maths exam though to enter.

So I now have no A-levels, and just my really old crappy GCSE from when I was a delinquent in my youth... Still managed to get GCSE B in maths and English somehow though (was formerly at or near the top of my class)

Anyway, another relevant point is I wont be able to get any work experience as a mature and private student.

I cant find any accountancy apprenticeships sadly in my city, or legal ones, this is my preferred route, but before I think about that, I need to test myself to see if Id enjoy working in either, Im getting ahead of myself.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 7

Anyway, another relevant point is I wont be able to get any work experience as a mature and private student.

I cant find any accountancy apprenticeships sadly in my city, or legal ones, this is my preferred route, but before I think about that, I need to test myself to see if Id enjoy working in either, Im getting ahead of myself.

Not sure what you mean by 'work experience' here. Actually I never understand what anyone means when they say 'work experience' unless they spell it out.

How 'mature' are you and what is your working history? What attracts you to law? In some areas there is cross over with accounting careers, in others none at all. Also - which part of the country? I'm surprised you cant find any apprenticeships to apply for.
Original post by ajj2000
Not sure what you mean by 'work experience' here. Actually I never understand what anyone means when they say 'work experience' unless they spell it out.

How 'mature' are you and what is your working history? What attracts you to law? In some areas there is cross over with accounting careers, in others none at all. Also - which part of the country? I'm surprised you cant find any apprenticeships to apply for.

Mature enough to absolutely be discriminated against in apprentice applications sadly..

I mean work experience as in what's offered to teenagers in formal education. I suppose I could get voluntary work somewhere. Am in SW. Just Business apprenticeships endlessly here. I am attracted to law due to being forced to deal with severe legal issues over the past 2 years, I found it interesting, and easy to remember evrything, but it was personal to me, which makes it easy. I am very emapthic though, so think I will retain info of other people's cases well. Of course I must test myself asap on both topics.

Yes an open uni dgree with bits of noth topics would be a good idea, if I can research, phone around other companies and try and somehow find out what they would aporpeciate, after I choose a specific sector!!

Is a good plan so far? Thankyou.
Reply 9
Mature enough to absolutely be discriminated against in apprentice applications sadly..

I mean work experience as in what's offered to teenagers in formal education. I suppose I could get voluntary work somewhere. Am in SW. Just Business apprenticeships endlessly here. I am attracted to law due to being forced to deal with severe legal issues over the past 2 years, I found it interesting, and easy to remember evrything, but it was personal to me, which makes it easy. I am very emapthic though, so think I will retain info of other people's cases well. Of course I must test myself asap on both topics.

Yes an open uni dgree with bits of noth topics would be a good idea, if I can research, phone around other companies and try and somehow find out what they would aporpeciate, after I choose a specific sector!!

Is a good plan so far? Thankyou.

"Thanks ajj, its appreciated! Tbh, I still dont even know if I'd enjoy it. do you think there is a better way for me to figure out whether Id enjoy a career in law or accounting than the As text books?"

Gosh, that's a tough one. I'm not sure how meaningful AS level text books are for judging whether you would enjoy a career. I suppose if you find the subject matter interesting that's a huge start. One huge question is whether you enjoy office work or not - that would appear to be the first thing to consider.

Maybe have a look and see if there are any inside Sherpa courses which may give some ideas of what appeals.

With law (not that I know a lot about it) its worth looking into different career paths to see if some appeal but not others. Working in probate/ conveyancing in a country town is likely to be very different to criminal law and again to silver circle type city law. Some of these pathways are much easier to get into than others - and some massively better paid than others. I suspect that there are some youtube videos which would give some ideas,

I mean work experience as in what's offered to teenagers in formal education. I suppose I could get voluntary work somewhere.

Ah, ok - so the one week in an office type work experience? I can see thats a good way to get some ideas about whether the working life is attractive or not. I doubt it moves the needle at all when it comes to applying for jobs.

I guess the equivalent for people outside of schools is to ask for a couple of days of shadowing. That being said this doesn't seem to be as common as it used to be.

I cant find any accountancy apprenticeships sadly in my city, or legal ones

For accountancy apprenticeships you can easily google 'top 50/ 100 accounting firms uk' and work through their websites. Pretty much all have apprenticeship schemes. I struggle to imagine that there is any city in the UK without a few accounts apprenticeship schemes,

Also look into:

- local government
- civil service
- jobs in sites like the government apprenticeship website and 'not going to uni'
- set up a search on reed and linkedin to get alerts and see what is out there.

I'm not sure how available legal apprenticeships are but would imagine there are ways to search for them.

Yes an open uni dgree with bits of noth topics would be a good idea,

I'd be cautious about this. I suspect that for law a qualifying law degree would be of a lot more value than a more general and ill defined degree (or something like history to demonstrate related skills).

One big thing to note is that its much, much harder to get a break and onto a legal career path than an accounting one.It should certainly be something you consider. The second prize in legal careers (legal executive type work) look pretty limiting to me and you are always competing with the next generation of graduates trying to get a training contract.
I appreciate the advice! You were much better than the careers adviser, Ill figure something out now :smile:
What do you do out of curiosity atm?
Reply 11
What do you do out of curiosity atm?

I’m an experienced chartered accountant working in industry.
Thanks for coming back here and helping others.

"One huge question is whether you enjoy office work or not"

Unfortunately I have never done any, but I think so.

I somehow missed some of your previous message last time, I found the sherpa courses which have been renamed to theforage, going to start them tommorrow, there are quite a few ccounting, even including an auditing one by KPMG, one of the few companies I saw offering a position here recently. Sadly I was still too low a level for it (no A-level credit atm), at least I can bring up in a future interview that I enjoyed a simulation.. which I hope I will soon, hopefully it will at least let me know if I like office work!

"With law (not that I know a lot about it) its worth looking into different career paths to see if some appeal but not others. Working in probate/ conveyancing in a country town is likely to be very different to criminal law and again to silver circle type city law"

Good point, I am veering away heavily from law, but will still do some research on wages/ease of entering and job requirements for the couple of areas I was interested in.

"I struggle to imagine that there is any city in the UK without a few accounts apprenticeship schemes."
"I guess the equivalent for people outside of schools is to ask for a couple of days of shadowing. That being said this doesn't seem to be as common as it used to be."

I aim to stay in my city for at least another year or 2, I suppose that I will just have to make myself look to be a better candidate. I will phone up a few companies that I know have historically advertised apprenticeships and ask what would make me stand out as a potential candidate.

Let's assume atm, I forget about law and any open uni route. (very likely) Im prepared to get the level 4 AAT in hopefully a year, while stuyding math A levels again if I have to and then apply for the level 3 and 4 apprenticeships, hopefully I will have a good chance of level 3 then, I will be quite overquallified. However perhaps I should forget the A levels and volunteer somewhere too for a couple days? Is there actually any point to that, I suppose after I complete level 2 AAT I can get a low level postion, but If I am planning on the apprenticeship route anyway then the value of a voluntary low level position for experience is probably a waste compared to getting an A in futher maths as a private learner which I am confident in.

One last question and I should be good thanks! Have heard from a few Americans that auditing is a really good entry point into accounting, would you agree? KPMG is recruiting nationaly for that regularly, after I get better qualifications, it could potentially be perfect to aim for!
Reply 13
Thanks for coming back here and helping others.

"One huge question is whether you enjoy office work or not"

Unfortunately I have never done any, but I think so.

I somehow missed some of your previous message last time, I found the sherpa courses which have been renamed to theforage, going to start them tommorrow, there are quite a few ccounting, even including an auditing one by KPMG, one of the few companies I saw offering a position here recently. Sadly I was still too low a level for it (no A-level credit atm), at least I can bring up in a future interview that I enjoyed a simulation.. which I hope I will soon, hopefully it will at least let me know if I like office work!

"With law (not that I know a lot about it) its worth looking into different career paths to see if some appeal but not others. Working in probate/ conveyancing in a country town is likely to be very different to criminal law and again to silver circle type city law"

Good point, I am veering away heavily from law, but will still do some research on wages/ease of entering and job requirements for the couple of areas I was interested in.

"I struggle to imagine that there is any city in the UK without a few accounts apprenticeship schemes."
"I guess the equivalent for people outside of schools is to ask for a couple of days of shadowing. That being said this doesn't seem to be as common as it used to be."

I aim to stay in my city for at least another year or 2, I suppose that I will just have to make myself look to be a better candidate. I will phone up a few companies that I know have historically advertised apprenticeships and ask what would make me stand out as a potential candidate.

Let's assume atm, I forget about law and any open uni route. (very likely) Im prepared to get the level 4 AAT in hopefully a year, while stuyding math A levels again if I have to and then apply for the level 3 and 4 apprenticeships, hopefully I will have a good chance of level 3 then, I will be quite overquallified. However perhaps I should forget the A levels and volunteer somewhere too for a couple days? Is there actually any point to that, I suppose after I complete level 2 AAT I can get a low level postion, but If I am planning on the apprenticeship route anyway then the value of a voluntary low level position for experience is probably a waste compared to getting an A in futher maths as a private learner which I am confident in.

One last question and I should be good thanks! Have heard from a few Americans that auditing is a really good entry point into accounting, would you agree? KPMG is recruiting nationaly for that regularly, after I get better qualifications, it could potentially be perfect to aim for!

Wow - you've done loads of research! Lots to unpack. Could I just clarify somethings. You state : "Im prepared to get the level 4 AAT in hopefully a year, while stuyding math A levels again if I have to and then apply for the level 3 and 4 apprenticeships, hopefully I will have a good chance of level 3 then, I will be quite overquallified." was the level 4 a typo? did you mean level 2?
Original post by ajj2000
Wow - you've done loads of research! Lots to unpack. Could I just clarify somethings. You state : "Im prepared to get the level 4 AAT in hopefully a year, while stuyding math A levels again if I have to and then apply for the level 3 and 4 apprenticeships, hopefully I will have a good chance of level 3 then, I will be quite overquallified." was the level 4 a typo? did you mean level 2?

Thanks, I'm still actually researching a lot slower than I'd like though, a lot of housing and legal crap is getting in the way, still not starting the forage thing for a couple days sadly.

The total qualification time for level 4 says 1000 odd hours which I thought I could speed up to do in under a year, perhaps this is overlooking exam time or I can't speed it up for other reasons?
Reply 15
The total qualification time for level 4 says 1000 odd hours which I thought I could speed up to do in under a year, perhaps this is overlooking exam time or I can't speed it up for other reasons?

I remain unclear about your thoughts regarding AAT. I'm not sure why you would look to complete AAT and then look for an apprenticeship? Any reasons?

My rough thoughts - and I'm assuming that you have and need some type of income:

- you could work your way through AAT while working in a non accounting role and apply for entry level accounts positions. Generally people start at level 2 although I believe that you can self study the material and avoid the exams diving straight into level 3 once you are up to speed on the level 2 materials.

I think the rough guide from people studying on day release is that they take each level over a year (say 30 weeks of college 6 hours a day plus a max of 4 hours homework/ revision). So - 10 hours x 30 per level = 300 hours plus time for exams. I've come across people who completed all of AAT (level 4 from scratch) in one year without being full time on it. I guess if you allowed 1000 hours that would be about 20 hours a week so doable in a lot of circumstances.

I'm not sure how you sit the exams post covid - this would be worth finding out as it might be a logistical nightmare.

'..., while stuyding math A levels again if I have to...'

I can think of perfectly good reasons for taking maths A levels - not sure what your reasoning for doing so is?

while stuyding math A levels again if I have to and then apply for the level 3 and 4 apprenticeships

I think referring to 'level 3' and 'level 4' apprenticeships is a bit ambiguous. Perhaps think of accounting apprenticeships in different buckets:

- apprenticeships which put you through AAT and look for GCSE level for entry

- apprenticeships which put you through AAT and look for A levels for entry

- apprenticeships which look to completing professional exams such as ACA - these normally require strong A levels or completion of AAT and good experience.

However perhaps I should forget the A levels and volunteer somewhere too for a couple days? Is there actually any point to that, I suppose after I complete level 2 AAT I can get a low level postion, but If I am planning on the apprenticeship route anyway then the value of a voluntary low level position for experience is probably a waste compared to getting an A in futher maths as a private learner which I am confident in.

I don't think these thoughts tie together into a coherent job hunting/ career progression strategy.

What sort of volunteering position are you contemplating? Something accounting related or Oxfam shop type work?

If accounting related its not that some experience might not be valuable, its that you are unlikely to find anything meaningful unless through personal connections. Even then 2 days a week from a standing start in an informal position doesn't generally add a huge amount to your skillset.

You would probably be better off getting an entry level clerical/ accounts position. Completing level 2 would assist with finding such a role and in progressing once you have the job.

A levels in maths/ FM might also help to find a job. Not because maths has much relevance to low level accounting positions (classical civilisation would be almost as much value) but it can stand out to an employer.

There is nothing magical about apprenticeships and you should certainly look for non apprenticeship entry level positions as well as apprenticeships. They are a method of funding employers use to train entry level staff. Lots in their favour but plenty of other routes in especially if you are able to self study.

Have heard from a few Americans that auditing is a really good entry point into accounting, would you agree? KPMG is recruiting nationaly for that regularly, after I get better qualifications, it could potentially be perfect to aim for!

Yes - without doubt. If anything I would say its much more true in the UK than the US.
Reply 16
Thinking about this further:

- lets say someone had studied maths and FM A levels during covid but been unable to sit the exams.

- then done 2 years of a mech eng degree. Good grades in first year but life took over in the second year.

That would be such an unusual situation I wonder whether all the normal advice becomes at best incomplete, at worst misleading. There are probably additional options to at least consider. Much would depend on financial position unfortunately.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by ajj2000
I remain unclear about your thoughts regarding AAT. I'm not sure why you would look to complete AAT and then look for an apprenticeship? Any reasons?

My rough thoughts - and I'm assuming that you have and need some type of income:

- you could work your way through AAT while working in a non accounting role and apply for entry level accounts positions. Generally people start at level 2 although I believe that you can self study the material and avoid the exams diving straight into level 3 once you are up to speed on the level 2 materials.

I think the rough guide from people studying on day release is that they take each level over a year (say 30 weeks of college 6 hours a day plus a max of 4 hours homework/ revision). So - 10 hours x 30 per level = 300 hours plus time for exams. I've come across people who completed all of AAT (level 4 from scratch) in one year without being full time on it. I guess if you allowed 1000 hours that would be about 20 hours a week so doable in a lot of circumstances.

I'm not sure how you sit the exams post covid - this would be worth finding out as it might be a logistical nightmare.

'..., while stuyding math A levels again if I have to...'

I can think of perfectly good reasons for taking maths A levels - not sure what your reasoning for doing so is?

while stuyding math A levels again if I have to and then apply for the level 3 and 4 apprenticeships

I think referring to 'level 3' and 'level 4' apprenticeships is a bit ambiguous. Perhaps think of accounting apprenticeships in different buckets:

- apprenticeships which put you through AAT and look for GCSE level for entry

- apprenticeships which put you through AAT and look for A levels for entry

- apprenticeships which look to completing professional exams such as ACA - these normally require strong A levels or completion of AAT and good experience.

However perhaps I should forget the A levels and volunteer somewhere too for a couple days? Is there actually any point to that, I suppose after I complete level 2 AAT I can get a low level postion, but If I am planning on the apprenticeship route anyway then the value of a voluntary low level position for experience is probably a waste compared to getting an A in futher maths as a private learner which I am confident in.

I don't think these thoughts tie together into a coherent job hunting/ career progression strategy.

What sort of volunteering position are you contemplating? Something accounting related or Oxfam shop type work?

If accounting related its not that some experience might not be valuable, its that you are unlikely to find anything meaningful unless through personal connections. Even then 2 days a week from a standing start in an informal position doesn't generally add a huge amount to your skillset.

You would probably be better off getting an entry level clerical/ accounts position. Completing level 2 would assist with finding such a role and in progressing once you have the job.

A levels in maths/ FM might also help to find a job. Not because maths has much relevance to low level accounting positions (classical civilisation would be almost as much value) but it can stand out to an employer.

There is nothing magical about apprenticeships and you should certainly look for non apprenticeship entry level positions as well as apprenticeships. They are a method of funding employers use to train entry level staff. Lots in their favour but plenty of other routes in especially if you are able to self study.

Have heard from a few Americans that auditing is a really good entry point into accounting, would you agree? KPMG is recruiting nationaly for that regularly, after I get better qualifications, it could potentially be perfect to aim for!

Yes - without doubt. If anything I would say its much more true in the UK than the US.

Sorry for being slow to get back here. The reason Id start the AAT while still looking for an apprenticeship is becasue im obsessed with getting a full degree eventually and dont really want to go down the OU route unless every option becomes terrible. The only apprenticeship for accountancy I found on the 12 websites I check every other day was in the next city and even though it was level 3.... the requirements were to already have A-levels! I will start phoning up the big companies though in my city, thankyou. If I can write on my cv that I have already started an aat course, perhaps when a lvl 3 apprenticehsip comes along I will have a better chance. There is an accountancy open day next to me in a couple of weeks, I will try and network a lot.

My need for income is currently unknown and it could rapidly change, am in a very bizarre situation that is making it extremely difficult to plan atm.
I would be willing to work part time for as little hours as possible to maximize study time though.

you could work your way through AAT while working in a non accounting role and apply for entry level accounts positions. Generally people start at level 2 although I believe that you can self study the material and avoid the exams diving straight into level 3 once you are up to speed on the level 2 materials.

Thanks, I will consider this option too. For now though and this could change in a currently unable to determine time I am on UC for the first time and am getting funding for a lvl2 course. If I fall in love, I may use half my savings to smash ahead with online learning in tandem for lvl3 and lvl4... after I finish self learning lvl2 ahead of the class. 30 weeks of 5 hours for lvl2, wish was the other way around.

I made a mistake and attributed 1000 hours to lvl2-4, this was actually lv4 alone.

Even though Im in a big city, closest exam centre is 30 miles away and costs £130 for each exam.. but thats the only option if I rush ahead with online in tandem learning. Damn.

Because I'm old, there is a dirth of accountancy apprenticeships here, I dont plan to move for a couple years and the last one had A level requirements even though it was only lvl3.

I think referring to 'level 3' and 'level 4' apprenticeships is a bit ambiguous.

Why? Maybe that explains the fact that one listed as lvl3 still required 2 A levels (A-C) which are themselves a level 3 qualification.

If accounting related its not that some experience might not be valuable, its that you are unlikely to find anything meaningful unless through personal connections.

Ok, forget voluntary work then. Potentially one connection with our old charity's accountant, still unlikely but eh I can ask.

Sure, I like apprenticeships becasue it allows me to study and gain work experience at the same time. Any other non uni option would require me to get a low level job, impress employers and have them fund my further studying.. right? Problem here is I really am not capable of working above 40 hours a week for more than a couple months at a time.. historically if I do that for too long things start slowly collapsing. working in the low level job+ studying will mean years of 60 hour weeks, thats not going to happen... so I was willing to take the lower pay of apprenticeship routes becasue its perfect in every other way for me.

There are probably additional options to at least consider. Much would depend on financial position unfortunately.

Like what? If I fall in love with the AAT and my financial situation sways towards bounteous, Id be prepared to spend a lot and live like a pauper.

At the moment I have a couple thousand in savings and am on UC. I could be bankrupt or have half a million available or anywhere inbetween that.. in a completely unknown and unplannable time frame, this could change in a month or in 3 years, or anywhere inbetween. Hopefully in 6 months I will have a better ability to predict what is mroe likely at least to happen.

Thanks for the information, here's hoping I at least like the aat course... I have been ignoring the possibility that I will hate it, my intuition tells me I will enjoy accountancy, but I need to clarify with the AAT in 2 weeks at least. Even If I hated it, my CV is so trash I will finish the level 2 regardless especially as its free.

Oh one last thing! Is it worth me doing an excel course too? Is there any benefit to getting a coursera certificate compared to say self studying and just writing on my CV that I have general intermediate excel skills?

Here it is anyway, what do you think? I think I can get it for free.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/excel-intermediate-1
(edited 5 months ago)

How come it's so beneficial in general and even more so in the UK? Cheers.
Reply 19
Any other non uni option would require me to get a low level job, impress employers and have them fund my further studying.. right? Problem here is I really am not capable of working above 40 hours a week for more than a couple months at a time.. historically if I do that for too long things start slowly collapsing. working in the low level job+ studying will mean years of 60 hour weeks, thats not going to happen... so I was willing to take the lower pay of apprenticeship routes becasue its perfect in every other way for me.

Ah, this might be important. Do you have a health condition which restricts how many hours a week you can work/ study? If so that might make much of the advice about accounting career paths redundant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending