The Student Room Group

DSA for ME/CFS

Does anyone know what provision is available through DSA for ME/CFS? My son is hoping to go to Uni in September but has moderate/severe ME so would need a considerable amount of extra support, eg, a note taker, someone to pick up notes on days he can't make it in, possibly a support person for cooking, changing his bed, cleaning his room, doing laundry, longer lending for library books, dictation and reading software and a whole pile of other things I probably haven't thought of.

I've checked the forums and most of the ME posts are from a while ago and (thankfully!) ME is becoming more recognised so I was wondering if anyone could share what support they've been able to source more recently.

Thanks
DSA is granted based on how a person's symptoms affect their studying, rather than whether they have ME, mental health problems, hearing difficulties, or whatever type of disability. From the sounds of what you're thinking your son would need, I'd encourage your son to:
- contact the universities in question (they should have a dedicated disability support office who can put some things in place themselves, such as automatic deadline extensions, longer lending on library books, not getting penalised for absences from lectures etc.).
- apply for DSA, which might entitle him to some of the things you've mentioned, plus stuff like a mentor to help him manage his workload, equipment for studying at home, etc.
- apply for PIP (Personal Independence Payment, the replacement for Disabled Living Allowance). This is a non-means-tested benefit that you can apply for even as a student (and which allows you to apply for other benefits students aren't usually eligible for), and which if awarded can be used for any kind of extra costs your son might incur, such as the domestic help you mentioned he might need. There are no restrictions on what it can be spent on once awarded, so mind he doesn't use it as his personal beer fund. :tongue:
Thanks Superwolf :smile: I'll give the Unis a shout and see which ones sound the most useful! I've found out the hard way from eldest son's experience at Uni that what DSA says will be provided and what the Unis actually fulfil to the spirit rather than the letter of the obligations can be rather different. Eldest has AS.
Original post by KittyKattyKaity
Thanks Superwolf :smile: I'll give the Unis a shout and see which ones sound the most useful! I've found out the hard way from eldest son's experience at Uni that what DSA says will be provided and what the Unis actually fulfil to the spirit rather than the letter of the obligations can be rather different. Eldest has AS.

To be honest the university needs to provide reasonable adjustment to accommodate for the student. You can always argue your point across to try and get them to listen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DSA won't cover day to day things like cooking, etc. That would be down to social services.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending