The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hi, I'm currently finishing up my first year at Chester :smile: Don't be scared of it, the university is really helpful and the students are really really nice. Studying full time here is like studying full time at any uni. As you know almost all the courses are the regular length, which is 3 years. You don't have that extra year that you would if you went to an American University.

Uni here at Chester isn't complicated or hard, just challenging at times which is really nice. Also, everything really depends on your course that you are taking. I'm doing Criminology and I'm almost done all the essays for the year. Your schedule also depends on your course and what classes you enroll in... For me, I have classes from Wednesday - Friday. One on Wednesday, two the next day and two on Friday.

The people here won't hate you for being American :smile: Don't worry about that, you'll make really good friends and hopefully you'll enjoy your time here.
I did though get homesick for a bit, but it goes away with time. :smile:

Sorry for the long reply :/ I hope this helps some and feel free to message me if you'd like to know more
Reply 2
Hi, I'm from Philadelphia and finished my 3-year BSc degree at Chester this past June. I am thrilled with my degree and the experience I had over in England!

I studied Zoo Animal Management and I certainly found some of the assignments to be challenging, but I think if anything the work load is lighter than that of an American University (I say this from comparing my experiences to those that my friends had in the states). The added bonus is that all of your modules are related to your course/major so you aren't fulfilling any 'general education' requirements about areas of study that you are not interested in.

I found that many people were eager to talk to me because I was American! I didn't meet anyone that held it against me! I made a lot of great friends who I still keep in touch with and have plans to go back and visit!

Good luck! :smile:
Hiya! I'm finishing up my second year at Uni Chester doing Geography and International Development, and am from outside of Chicago. I've really enjoyed it here. I did a year at US university and I would say they're challenging in different ways- US uni is a lot more busy work and homework where here is a lot more self-study, but learning is really focused and all the lecturers I've had are really approachable and friendly!
Studying here and getting used to the culture definitely takes a little bit of time, especially with some of the very far north accents you experience, but the International Welfare department is great and the Global Guides (student volunteers who help with international students) are wonderful. It's really just a matter of being comfortable with the idea of culture shock and transition, and knowing it will be a bit stressful- but that will happen going anywhere and I've found Chester incredibly welcoming and helpful if you're feeling a bit homesick or anything. It's been so easy to make friends and meet people- you just need to make sure you try new things and are a bit adventurous (but I bet you are if you're coming abroad for uni!)
I've never had anyone openly dislike me for being American :P People here really are pretty great and it's so easy to make friends both with other international students and english students.
So don't fret too much! I'm sure you'll be just fine :smile: If you have any other questions just ask!
nice post
Reply 5
Original post by alyssaran
Hi, I decided to start this thread for any prospective or current American students. I'll be attending the University of Chester next year full time, and honestly I am terrified! Can any Americans tell me what its like studying full time in the UK? Is uni ridiculously hard? Do people dislike you for being American? Please share your experiences! And any new American students, feel free to ask your own questions. Thanks guys!
:smile:

good post liek it

Latest

Trending

Trending