The Student Room Group

Do I have a realistic chance at Yale with my credentials

Hi, I would like to study EPE at Yale, and i'm also preparing applications for 8 other universities in America to study PPE.

But I'm in my L6th year and hence technically applying early which is making me unsure of whether I can even get accepted

In my GCSEs I got 8 A*/A**, 1 A and B
Predicted grades so far this term are A* A* A
I'm vice head of my school debating society
I volunteered in local primary schools in my 5th form year
I do a buddy system in my school
And I play basketball for my school's first team

Would this be enough to have a realistic chance at getting into Yale or any other decent American university like Carnegie Mellon, UPenn etc.

Or should I just wait another year and build up my credentials more?
Reply 1
How were you planning on paying for this? Do you have SAT scores?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
How were you planning on paying for this? Do you have SAT scores?

I go to quite an expensive private school currently and i'm an American citzien so I qualify for student loans, payment isn't really a primary issue for me currently.

SAT scores are not required for applications this year according to commonapp.
Reply 3
Ah, ok - that changes the equations especially for non needs blind colleges (most of them).

In reality your chances for Yale are low because they are low for all applicants. That’s not a reason not to apply.

My guess would be that if you let parents can afford full fare fees they can afford professional advice to best maximise your application.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Ah, ok - that changes the equations especially for non needs blind colleges (most of them).

In reality your chances for Yale are low because they are low for all applicants. That’s not a reason not to apply.

My guess would be that if you let parents can afford full fare fees they can afford professional advice to best maximise your application.

I know that admission rates are low, my question is more about whether I have enough credentials to form a strong application currently or whether I should wait and finish secondary school as normal and add more to my credentials
Original post by ajj2000

Yale commits to meeting the full demonstrated financial need for all students and has need blind admissions, so in principle this means anyone can apply and be admitted to Yale and will get funding for it. So the financial element is a bit of a red herring here.

Original post by grazing-nap
I know that admission rates are low, my question is more about whether I have enough credentials to form a strong application currently or whether I should wait and finish secondary school as normal and add more to my credentials

Just apply in the normal application cycle rather than early, your academics are broadly good, you probably want to maintain those and ideally develop your ECs a bit to distinguish them more - get involved in leadership roles and make long lasting changes in those, and/or compete at regional if not national level if possible. There's really nothing to be gained by trying to apply early except distracting from time you could spend improving your application to apply at the same time as anyone else. I'm pretty sure you aren't going to be given bonus points for applying early (nor are you going to be "deducted" points for applying at the normal time).
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Yale commits to meeting the full demonstrated financial need for all students and has need blind admissions, so in principle this means anyone can apply and be admitted to Yale and will get funding for it. So the financial element is a bit of a red herring here.

Just apply in the normal application cycle rather than early, your academics are broadly good, you probably want to maintain those and ideally develop your ECs a bit to distinguish them more - get involved in leadership roles and make long lasting changes in those, and/or compete at regional if not national level if possible. There's really nothing to be gained by trying to apply early except distracting from time you could spend improving your application to apply at the same time as anyone else. I'm pretty sure you aren't going to be given bonus points for applying early (nor are you going to be "deducted" points for applying at the normal time).

The OP refers to applying to 8 other US universities including Carnegie Mellon. Depending on the list I would expect many (most?) to be needs aware at best.
Original post by grazing-nap

your credentials are more than fine, i would just say do more extracurriculars this year and work on your essay writing skills for the common app. also unfortunately for you, even though covid affected many schools and those that would usually ask for SAT/ACT scores haven’t been doing it for the last few years, many are going to be asking for test scores again starting next year for class of 2029. so i’d advise you also take those tests during the school year.

other than that i’d say you’re fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending