The Student Room Group

Were you ever hit / slapped by your parents?

And is the way to successful parenting? (Obviously not abuse, but the use of force to ensure a child doesn't get up to naughty stuff?)

Would you also hit your child presuming you had any?

Personally, I was hit so many times as a child for my wrong-doings. I remember one time my mum slapped me so hard, it almost felt like a punch for drawing "boobs" on our classboard, when I was actually trying to draw pokeballs. :moon:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I used to get smacked on the bum if I misbehaved, and if I was really bad it was with a slipper.

it was effective but I think possibly a bit too much, I grew up into a teenager who didn't experience anything because I was too scared Id get in trouble :colondollar:

and I don't plan on having kids but if I did I wouldn't use violence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Yhup. It wasn't so bad. Each slap came with an ounce of love. My kid gonna get spanked if he misbehave. XD. But he's not. XDDd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
only once
Reply 4
Original post by SHBK
Yhup. It wasn't so bad. Each slap came with an ounce of love. My kid gonna get spanked if he misbehave. XD. But he's not. XDDd

Posted from TSR Mobile

M8 just shave his head and send him into school, it'll teach him.
Reply 5
And post it to Worldstar
When my dad was at home he'd smack me with a belt if I misbehaved, once I got hit across the back with a frying pan and I can't even remember what I did. Also got lifted up by the throat and pinned against the wall a few times just for stupid ****. It's the kind of parenting that led me to grow up thinking violence was a perfectly acceptable reaction to a trivial problem and caused me more trouble in the long run than it solved. My mum never hit me though, she's a lovely lady.

As far as when I have kids? I'll never hit them. I'd rather set a positive example to them by being someone they can look up to rather than being a bully who projects their own shortcomings onto their children. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Stefano93
M8 just shave his head and send him into school, it'll teach him.

Good idea. XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by IanDangerously
When my dad was at home he'd smack me with a belt if I misbehaved, once I got hit across the back with a frying pan and I can't even remember what I did. Also got lifted up by the throat and pinned against the wall a few times just for stupid ****. It's the kind of parenting that led me to grow up thinking violence was a perfectly acceptable reaction to a trivial problem and caused me more trouble in the long run than it solved. My mum never hit me though, she's a lovely lady.

As far as when I have kids? I'll never hit them. I'd rather set a positive example to them by being someone they can look up to rather than being a bully who projects their own shortcomings onto their children. :smile:

What the **** :lolwut:
Nope, vocal barrages were de rigueur though
Original post by Stefano93
What the **** :lolwut:

Yeah, he was drunk at the time! Come to think of it he was drunk most of the time. :tongue:
My dad used to slap me if I misbehaved in any way. One memory that's never gone out of my head was when I heard him coming up and I knew what was coming- that fear is something I'd never want my child to experience, and I do not agree with violence, and thus wouldn't intend on implying to my children that its right. So no, I would never hit my offspring- I would use other means to tell them that they had done wrong without using aggression.
Yes when I misbehaved. Personally I wouldn't lay finger on my child, I can't imagine hurting my child. There are other methods of discipline and communication is a great one!
Original post by IanDangerously

That is awful. I'm glad you feel that way about your future parenting. As far as I'm concerned, violence is not the answer to solving any problem!
Yes I was and I'm happy I was looking back on it because it made me more disciplined and respectful.

Talking to me again and again didn't do anything.

Original post by rosebud114
Yes when I misbehaved. Personally I wouldn't lay finger on my child, I can't imagine hurting my child. There are other methods of discipline and communication is a great one!

Other methods generally don't work as well, it really does depend on the child.
No, I've never been hit myself. Such parenting could seem successful, but I find it much less than ideal. There are so many different ways to get your point across, why rely on "mild" assault? It's just misinformed parenting done by frustrated parents, in my opinion. I would support a legal ban on corporal punishment-Sweden-style. I just don't think that anyone deserves to be hit (be it children, women, men, the elderly...).
Reply 16
Rarely, a slap on the bum at most, I think children need discipline when they have misbehaved or form of confiscation or grounding.

If I ever do have children I will talk with there dad to see how we should discipline our child.
(edited 9 years ago)
smacked and slapped but they never punched, cut or kicked me. Older brother punched me in the balls though
No, never. I don't think they were ever hit when they were children either.
Reply 19
With a slipper, I would stop misbehaving as soon as that slipper was raised! But i was never really hit with it, more of a warning.I think I was brought up quite well, my parents had the right level of discipline but were also lenient :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending