The Student Room Group

Why has Instagram become more popular than Facebook?

For the last few years, I have noticed that a lot of people who I know who used to regularly use Facebook between 2007-2017 either seldom use Facebook, don’t use it at all or have deactivated their Facebook account altogether.

These same people regularly use Instagram.

I personally regularly use and am active on Facebook and Instagram and a few people I know are also active on both but most are more active on Instagram.

I’m just curious as to why has Instagram become more popular and more common to use as the main form of social media than Facebook?

Does anybody know?
Reply 1
I used to regularly use Facebook up until 2019, it felt like I was bombarded with ads, irrelevant posts from strangers and it didn’t feel entirely safe regarding of settings. I completely deleted my account. I still use instagram, have ensured I only have a few hundred followers I personally know well and who I feel comfortable sharing my crazy snippets of life with.
Reply 2
Original post by Aufbau
I used to regularly use Facebook up until 2019, it felt like I was bombarded with ads, irrelevant posts from strangers and it didn’t feel entirely safe regarding of settings. I completely deleted my account. I still use instagram, have ensured I only have a few hundred followers I personally know well and who I feel comfortable sharing my crazy snippets of life with.

Facebook even has a feature to lock your account so people who aren’t on your friends list can’t view any of your account except your profile picture. Now that is a very safe setting.

What is it about instagram that you prefer to Facebook?
the real reason i dont use Facebook because mama and papa are active there
Reply 4
Original post by TaintedLight
the real reason i dont use Facebook because mama and papa are active there

Is there something that you are trying to hide from your parents that you don't want them seeing?
Original post by midnight999
Is there something that you are trying to hide from your parents that you don't want them seeing?

I suspect the majority of teens don't want their parents involved in all their online interactions. Facebook has long been seen as a bit naff for teens and kids, mainly as it's full of parents.
Original post by StriderHort
I suspect the majority of teens don't want their parents involved in all their online interactions. Facebook has long been seen as a bit naff for teens and kids, mainly as it's full of parents.

This is why I'm not on Facebook either
Y'all should have used MySpace. But no, now with suck with the Zuck.
Original post by Guru Jason
Y'all should have used MySpace. But no, now with suck with the Zuck.

Tom was a wideo as well tho
Reply 9

I’m just curious as to why has Instagram become more popular and more common to use as the main form of social media than Facebook?

Does anybody know?

Instagram's visual focus and streamlined content make it a hit.
Reply 10
Facebook even has a feature to lock your account so people who aren’t on your friends list can’t view any of your account except your profile picture. Now that is a very safe setting.

What is it about instagram that you prefer to Facebook?

those were my reasons for leaving. I just use instagram now as the people I know are on insta. I don’t actually know anyone personally that still has a facebook profile 🤷🏻*♀️
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by StriderHort
Tom was a wideo as well tho

What do you mean when you say Tom Anderson from MySpace was a wideo?

Do you mean he was a video?
Reply 12
Original post by Aufbau
those were my reasons for leaving. I just use instagram now as the people I know are on insta. I don’t actually know anyone personally that still has a facebook profile 🤷🏻*♀️

So has everyone who you know deactivated their Facebook?

Among people who I know who don't use Facebook anymore a few have deactivated their Facebook but most still have their Facebook account but never/seldom/hardly ever/rarely use it.

Quick Reply

Latest