The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I would say that certain experiences that I have had of people of different races have led me to develop certain racial prejudices. I wouldn't say that these prejudices are particularly strong, but I would be lying if I said that they didn't exist.
I do not like religion, so people who follow religion would call me racist. However religion is not a race, I do not consider my race to be superior to another. So in the minds of idiots I would be considered racist, but in actual fact i am not.
Reply 22
Not really but I do find stereotypes funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flibber
I say 'Allah Akbar' (and sometimes "Takbir" before it) whenever I throw something into the bin in lessons. A Muslim classmate said that's racist, and a member of my form said that if anyone not from this school heard me saying that, they'd tell me to go to the mental hospital. But surely that's no worse than people saying "Jesus Christ' when they're annoyed?

I also make jokes about Islam all the time. especially about the punishments such as stoning prescribed by Shariah Law (which I find highly amusing).

So I would say 'yes'..

Neither islam nor the Arabic language is a race.
No.
Original post by DouglasAdams
I am not a racist, but the news is filled with those who are.
So are you? Be honest.

Or do you know any racists or have you yourself been the subject of racial discrimination?

Always a good start.
Original post by clh_hilary
Neither islam nor the Arabic language is a race.

+1
Maybe I should say that to my classmate..
No
No.
Although it would be very worrying if I was.
Original post by flibber
+1
Maybe I should say that to my classmate..

Either way you shouldn't be using those words if you're going to offend a Muslim. Don't tell me it's not a big deal because it's just mocking an important part of a religion.

You just come across as islamophobic and plain stupid.
Reply 30
No, thank you
No, at least not consciously.

The litmus test for those who are not sure about their own racism is: Do you find yourself prefixing sentences with "I'm not racist but...".
Original post by thunder_chunky
Wrong. Everyone is a little bit racist. Life experience tells me this. You'll learn when you're a bit older.

Yet so, so right.

I have to agree with @Thunder over here.
Reply 33
Original post by socially inept
Either way you shouldn't be using those words if you're going to offend a Muslim. Don't tell me it's not a big deal because it's just mocking an important part of a religion.

No doubt many conservatively minded Christians would be offended by someone yelling "praise Jesus" after throwing something into a bin (and not missing). So what? Muslims do not own the Arabic language anymore than Christians own the English one (or any others).

Similarly, there are many who would be offended at religious people 'covering up', does that mean religious people shouldn't cover up in the presence of such people? Religious people aren't the only one's who can take offense, you know. And there's nothing stopping people taking offense at religiously motivated actions or beliefs, just as there's nothing stopping people taking offense at actions or beliefs motivated by political ideologies; it's no different.

You just come across as islamophobic and plain stupid.

To you, yes, but that's your problem if you make misconceptions about someone, not that person's problem.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Everyone's a little bit racist. If you deny it you're a liar and probably a full blown racist.

For the laughts:

For the serious: go here and try the Race Implicit association test to find out your unconscious attitudes towards races:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/
Reply 35
I don't have the stamina to be racist.
Reply 36
I often ask this question:

What's worse? Making fun of somebody because of the colour of their skin, or making fun of somebody who is bald?

If they answer: making fun of somebody because of they colour of their skin - then they're ignorant liberals.

If they answer: making fun of somebody who is bald - they're probably racist.

Or if they say both are just as bad - then they have common sense and I have a lot of time for them. You can't help the way you look (to a certain extent).
Original post by Stanno
No doubt many conservatively minded Christians would be offended by someone yelling "praise Jesus" after throwing something into a bin (and not missing). So what? Muslims do not own the Arabic language anymore than Christians own the English one (or any others).

Similarly, there are many who would be offended at religious people 'covering up', does that mean religious people shouldn't cover up in the presence of such people? Religious people aren't the only one's who can take offense, you know. And there's nothing stopping people taking offense at religiously motivated actions or beliefs, just as there's nothing stopping people taking offense at actions or beliefs motivated by political ideologies; it's no different.

To you, yes, but that's your problem if you make misconceptions about someone, not that person's problem.

Muslims don't own the Arabic language but white people just live to offend other people. If someone finds something offensive, you should just stop doing whatever it is that said person finds offensive, they don't need to provide you with what you deem a plausible argument to counter your islamophobic statement/remark.

And you don't hear any Muslims saying "praise Jesus" so why are non-Muslims allowed to say Allāhu Akbar?

They know that it's going to be deemed offensive by Muslims because of the tone & the way in which white people use it (to make a mockery of the religion).

People cover up because it's a part of their religion - they have to. You don't HAVE TO be ignorant, if they need to cover up then they're obviously going to do just that (regardless of who is present). People who would get offended over people covering up are just finding any excuse to have something against a Muslim.
Reply 38
Original post by socially inept
Muslims don't own the Arabic language but white people just live to offend other people.

Come again? Remind what the subject of this thread is again... :rolleyes:

If someone finds something offensive, you should just stop doing whatever it is that said person finds offensive, they don't need to provide you with what you deem a plausible argument to counter your islamophobic statement/remark.

Many people will find you things you do or say related to your religion offensive, are you going to stop doing or saying them all? Don't be ridiculous.

And you don't hear any Muslims saying "praise Jesus" so why are non-Muslims allowed to say Allāhu Akbar?

A. You don't speak for every Muslim who exists or has ever existed. B. I say "praise Jesus" (very infrequently) and I'm not a Christian. That is fine. I can say "Alluh Akbar" or similar if I want to (and probably have in the past). That is also fine. Stop telling people what they can and cannot say just because you don't like it. Get over yourself.

They know that it's going to be deemed offensive by Muslims because of the tone & the way in which white people use it (to make a mockery of the religion).

What is your obsession with 'white people' here? Seriously, the subject of this thread is 'Are you racist?'... :s-smilie:

That aside, so what if 'they' know someone is going to find it offensive? Offense is taken, not given. Why is mocking religions wrong? Just because you don't like something or don't think something is appropriate, does not mean nobody should be allowed to do it.

People cover up because it's a part of their religion - they have to.

If someone is offended by people covering up, there's a good chance they'll find the belief that you have to cover up to be offensive too. So moot point.

You don't HAVE TO be ignorant, if they need to cover up then they're obviously going to do just that (regardless of who is present). People who would get offended over people covering up are just finding any excuse to have something against a Muslim.

Oh I see; you get to decide what's offensive to all Muslims and you get to decide what beliefs held or actions carried out by Muslims other people can take offense to (or else decide their reasons for doing so).

You have a very skewed (though unfortunately all too common), and frankly self-centred, view of religion and offense.
Reply 39
Original post by DouglasAdams
I am not a racist, but the news is filled with those who are.
So are you? Be honest.

Or do you know any racists or have you yourself been the subject of racial discrimination?

I'm not racist in the true sense of the word.

But I have views where people probably would accuse me of being racist.

But really its more... I dunno akin to prejudice...

I have known racists and have been a victim of racial discrimination.

Latest