The Student Room Group

Was I being rude or was the person being racist?

So I was on a. Flight which was massively delayed. I let a middle aged lady sitting next to me go to the loo and was being polite / courteous. I asked her about WiFi and was talking about the delay for the play and about having bad luck 2 days in a row.

Half an hour later, after I spotted she started badmouthing me to her friend saying ' I think he is Asian. How as so bloody rude he didn't continue a conversation with me'
The her mate was texting some very un pc stuff talking about body odour and racial stereotypes.

What's weird is that when people were getting off the plane, she started taking pictures and short videos on Snapchat and was deliberately trying to take pictures with the camera focused on people standing behind (i.e me).

Was I rude to her, or is there something wrong with that lady (her mate was definitely racist however)
Reply 1
pretty sure shes got some personal issues, however i think i need more context :smile: im sorry that happened to you though.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So I was on a. Flight which was massively delayed. I let a middle aged lady sitting next to me go to the loo and was being polite / courteous. I asked her about WiFi and was talking about the delay for the play and about having bad luck 2 days in a row.

Half an hour later, after I spotted she started badmouthing me to her friend saying ' I think he is Asian. How as so bloody rude he didn't continue a conversation with me'
The her mate was texting some very un pc stuff talking about body odour and racial stereotypes.

What's weird is that when people were getting off the plane, she started taking pictures and short videos on Snapchat and was deliberately trying to take pictures with the camera focused on people standing behind (i.e me).

Was I rude to her, or is there something wrong with that lady (her mate was definitely racist however)

i am not saying i dont believe you or your story but there are more holes in your account than Swiss cheese.

Greg
Well you didn't specify what you said, so meaningless asking us if you were rude, the whole thing sounds a bit far fetched though.
Reply 4
I'm not sure exactly how the conversation went. You could have said something she considered rude but her friend was definitely racist. I'm sorry you had to experience that.

I've been in a similar situation a few times. I have no problem with people telling me I acted badly. I'll apologise and learn from the experience. What I don't understand is why certain people like her friend generalise an entire race negatively because one person from that race did something they didn't like. When White or Asian people are rude to me, I don't think 'those white people are always like this' or 'this is why Asians are this or that'. I think 'that particular individual was rude'. End of story. We're all different humans and shouldn't be put in baskets. Bringing up your race was unnecessary; using negative stereotypes was racist. If her friend is so openly racist, she probably is too. The best advice I can give is to ignore such close-minded people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending