The Student Room Group

Japanese and Spanish - the only 5 Unis (I need another choice!)

SO, I HAVE to submit my UCAS application tomorrow (my school says so :rolleyes: ). And I have my heart set on doing Japanese with Spanish and I'm also doing a gap year teaching English in Chile first so am deferring my entry.

The 5 Unis that I've found will do my two languages are:

Sheffield (ABB)
Newcastle (ABB)
Leeds (ABB)
Cardiff (BBC/BCC)
Manchester (BBB)

I'm just wondering WHICH of these 5 people would recommend? I visited and quite liked Sheffield, but is it seen as good? Newcastle's a bit too close but is it actually the best? I liked the way Sheffield is more focused on Japanese over Spanish as the others are mainly 50/50.

But to fill my other choices I was going to apply for Spanish and Arabic or Russian at one or two universities. Should I NOT apply to 1 or 2 of the Span/Jap universities? Which one(s)?

If I was going to apply for Spanish with Arabic or Russian... maybe Bristol?

Or do you think it would be better to apply for all 5 of the Japanese ones and just 1 other?

So many questions... any help for a poor little confused girl?!
Reply 1
emzilee
SO, I HAVE to submit my UCAS application tomorrow (my school says so :rolleyes: ). And I have my heart set on doing Japanese with Spanish and I'm also doing a gap year teaching English in Chile first so am deferring my entry.

The 5 Unis that I've found will do my two languages are:

Sheffield (ABB)
Newcastle (ABB)
Leeds (ABB)
Cardiff (BBC/BCC)
Manchester (BBB)

I'm just wondering WHICH of these 5 people would recommend? I visited and quite liked Sheffield, but is it seen as good? Newcastle's a bit too close but is it actually the best? I liked the way Sheffield is more focused on Japanese over Spanish as the others are mainly 50/50.

But to fill my other choices I was going to apply for Spanish and Arabic or Russian at one or two universities. Should I NOT apply to 1 or 2 of the Span/Jap universities? Which one(s)?

If I was going to apply for Spanish with Arabic or Russian... maybe Bristol?

Or do you think it would be better to apply for all 5 of the Japanese ones and just 1 other?

So many questions... any help for a poor little confused girl?!

Ok well Sheffield is very highly rated for languages so that would be a good choice. It's better than Newcastle at any rate.
If you're going to go for Spanish and Russian (I am:smile:) Bristol is good choice. Durham offer Spanish and Russian/Arabic too.
To be honest I don't think applying for Spanish/Japenese at 5 unis and something else at another would be a good idea, it would be very difficult to write a personal statement for one thing. How about you apply to those 5 unis for Japenese and Spanish and then another uni for just Japenese?
Edinburgh is apparently very good for Japenese www.ed.ac.uk :smile:
Reply 2
Wow, Sheffield is better than Newcastle? I never realised that!

I've got my PS down... its mainly about Spanish and 'a symbol-type' language which could kind of be interpreted as Arabic / Cyrillic (sp?) script. The only direct Japanese reference I've made is that I've read 2 books (whoo *rolls eyes*).

I might apply for just Spanish somewhere... Spanish is my baby.

Oh decisions.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 3
emzilee
Wow, Sheffield is better than Newcastle? I never realised that!

I've got my PS down... its mainly about Spanish and 'a symbol-type' language which could kind of be interpreted as Arabic / Cyrillic (sp?) script. The only direct Japanese reference I've made is that I've read 2 books (whoo *rolls eyes*).

Oh decisions.

Thanks for your help :smile:

Not a massive expert but you need to mention Japenese a liiiiittle more than that. You have to sound passionate about both languages.
Reply 4
Actually a lot of universities that offer Japanese understand that not many people will have had the opportunity to learn it / experience it, so will not expect too much in the personal statement to be about the language itself.

I don't know if you've actually used the term in your PS, but I'd suggest not saying 'symbol type language'. I think it'd be better to talk about how you want the challenge of learning a different script and not sticking to romance / roman alphabet languages... something like that.

I've also applied to do Japanese (and french) in a couple of universities, I really liked the look of both Sheffield and Cardiff. Sheffield has an excellent reputation for Japanese, and it seems like a really good choice for you if you're interested in taking Japanese as a major subject and spanish as a minor.
emzilee

Sounds like a good idea to me. I don't think there's much point applying for Arabic or Russian just for the sake of it because I really doubt you'll need your 6th choice with your grades anyway :smile:
Reply 6
Happiness
I don't know if you've actually used the term in your PS, but I'd suggest not saying 'symbol type language'. I think it'd be better to talk about how you want the challenge of learning a different script and not sticking to romance / roman alphabet languages... something like that.

Oh lol, I haven't! Definitely not! I just didn't have my PS to hand and couldn't remember exactly what I'd said. :redface:

And Kellywood - THANKS! :smile:

I put down just Japanese at SOAS in the end... but I'm going to toddle off and change it to Spanish somewhere... I'd die if I got stuck on just Japanese, especially after spending my year in Chile working on destroying my Spanish (how much do Chilean people SWEAR please!).

Fun fun fun!
Reply 7
Sheffield have a good rep for East Asian languages. I applied there for Japanese single honours and Japanese with Spanish last year. I also applied to Leeds for Japanese single honours and Japanese and Spanish. The other two were just Japanese, at Edinburgh and Cambridge.
My personal statement was no more than 20% Japanese related and I got 5 offers.
Reply 8
I don't mean to be rude or nosey, but how come you didn't go to any of them? Where else did you apply?

I didn't like the look of the Cambridge course... it seemed more History-ish than language-ish.
Reply 9
emzilee
I don't mean to be rude or nosey, but how come you didn't go to any of them? Where else did you apply?

I didn't like the look of the Cambridge course... it seemed more History-ish than language-ish.

They were the 6 I applied to. I changed my mind about Japanese, so I'm reapplying for German and Spanish. :smile:
Reply 10
Ronove
They were the 6 I applied to. I changed my mind about Japanese, so I'm reapplying for German and Spanish. :smile:

Oops, sorry, temporarily lost the ability to count there. :redface:

I hope I don't change mine about Japanese... I flitted between Jap, Russian and Arabic for AGES but stuck on Japanese for a few months now so figured LETS GO.

I hate making decisions.

I stuck down Russian and Spanish at Bristol in the end. Just for the crack I guess.

Latest

Trending

Trending