The Student Room Group

URGENT!!!- should i retake my a levels or study Law at Westminster

I missed my grades & ended up with ABC, lost my offer at both my firm & insurance (LSE and Durham). Remarked my law as I was 1 mark off an A & just got my review today & still a B. Went into clearing & got into Uni of Westminster (no RG uni would accept me in clearing)but I’m still considering whether to resist my Law & Spanish, which is the one I got a C in, i revised last minute and went thru mad emotional stress due to family issues. My results were supposed to be AAA/ A*AA for 2019 entry. I want to retake my exams & apply again to LSE & Durham but I’m unsure if LSE offer me a place due to my resits weakening my 2020 application (I rung them & asked & they said there less of a chance to accept me due to resits). my main objective for retakes is to come out with an AB (the B is my Spanish A level resit and A in law) or AA. Or should I just accept uni of Westminster and study law? I tell myself doing 3rd year is worth the sacrifice I’ll be able to study in LSE/Durham/RG uni for 3 years. By retaking my A levels I could change my entire future & uni education,in the real world, at highly competitive law firms, they WILL look at the Uni u went to,etc because u will be compared to other applicants right? Should I go to uni of Westminster or do 3rd year & reapply to a better uni.

another problem is my college is changing their exam board from Eduqas to AQA due to the complaints about the exam however i know i can improve and i have tried the AQA before for practice exams and know i can get a better grade with that. so in some way it actually works in my favour. My family, my college advise me to go straight to uni and that unis wont accept me if i retake 2 a levels, however i have called most unis and they have said they dont look down on retakes? i really dont know whether its worth going to a uni that i dont know that im 100% sure to get into, i plan to reapply at LSE (very slim chance), Durham, Nottingham, Manchester, Newcastle ( my previous 5 choices). I honestly dont know whether its worth it going to uni this yr ESPECIALLY at a last minute choice and especially in london where its expensive as hell. :frown: pls dont offer me anymore uni choices for clearing i have called alot of unis up and all of them say they are full for law

UPDATE: my college said that if i retake a level law and spanish that i must take another subject to fill my timetable (yes i know its stupidly unnecessary) so i am going to take AS business as well as retaking A level law and spanish, any advice on personal statements when explaining why i retook & explaining why i take AS business?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Honestly if I were you I would re-take the year. I resat mine and got AAA from ABB. You're young and it's worth it imo. It's only one more year and you sound unsure. Don't do something if you're not feeling it.
I agree with okok123 if you’re feeling unsure. It’s better to regret one year (redoing your Alevels) then 3 (going to Westminster due to clearing)

Good luck with your decision !!
Original post by okok123
Honestly if I were you I would re-take the year. I resat mine and got AAA from ABB. You're young and it's worth it imo. It's only one more year and you sound unsure. Don't do something if you're not feeling it.

what uni & course subject did you go to after reapplying? and what were your 5 uni choices when applying? sorry for the overloading questions, my heads spinning on whether i should go to uni or not, alot of my family are against me retaking uni and want me out of the house & i know a 3rd year can get REALLY depressing, i want to retake but at the same time i dont think i can relive going back to college for another,im super conflicted.
Reply 4
Original post by KSstudentlife
what uni & course subject did you go to after reapplying? and what were your 5 uni choices when applying? sorry for the overloading questions, my heads spinning on whether i should go to uni or not, alot of my family are against me retaking uni and want me out of the house & i know a 3rd year can get REALLY depressing, i want to retake but at the same time i dont think i can relive going back to college for another,im super conflicted.

So I am going onto study international relations at Uni of Leeds, other places were Manchester, Queen Mary and Liverpool. I was succesful in all. I resat externally as I had decent grades in my first sitting. I worked and went to Ghana for a bit. I recommend resitting. You are very young and this will allow you to get into a better university!
Wow, you got ABC and had an offer from LSE. What happened there, mate?

I think resit.
a level spanish bit me in the arse, i know i couldve got an A* in history but messed up in the first paper but still got an A :smile: . I was 1 mark off an A in Law but no change in remark. Honestly i think i was burnt out from over revising and was balancing my EPQ, History coursework and Spanish coursework all in one year. I work and revise hard, i think taking a language for a level is the biggest regret of my academic life, I really tried and revised consistently for spanish but a level language is definitley not easy one bit. Plus the examboard we used was disgraceful.

I really planned and was so excited to study at LSE, living in london,etc during the summer and now im in a fat depression mode at the moment because its like my whole future has turned 180, yes i know i sound bloody dramatic but i have never had this happen to me before, I got great GCSE level results, my family, friends and teachers and myself believed i would get AAA and A*AA and my family is dissapointed in me as I was seen as the "smart" one. I get told by my college that ABC is still decent results & go to uni and taking 3rd year is a waste of time,etc,etc. My head is s p i n n i n g. :frown:
I got an offer from Durham to study law this September (contextual). There are a few factors to weigh up: what firms you intend to apply for e.g. law firms are STRICT on re-sitters, good opportunities at City, location etc.

Nevertheless, the RG universities would definitely put you in a good position, but then again, law firms would scrutinize your application for TC's, vac schemes etc. Plus, extenuating circumstances play a role.

City has decent credentials so I would go, NETWORK as much as possible and hope for the best. Alternatively, if not, the gap year is in your back pocket.
Reply 8
Original post by KSstudentlife
a level spanish bit me in the arse, i know i couldve got an A* in history but messed up in the first paper but still got an A :smile: . I was 1 mark off an A in Law but no change in remark. Honestly i think i was burnt out from over revising and was balancing my EPQ, History coursework and Spanish coursework all in one year. I work and revise hard, i think taking a language for a level is the biggest regret of my academic life, I really tried and revised consistently for spanish but a level language is definitley not easy one bit. Plus the examboard we used was disgraceful.

I really planned and was so excited to study at LSE, living in london,etc during the summer and now im in a fat depression mode at the moment because its like my whole future has turned 180, yes i know i sound bloody dramatic but i have never had this happen to me before, I got great GCSE level results, my family, friends and teachers and myself believed i would get AAA and A*AA and my family is dissapointed in me as I was seen as the "smart" one. I get told by my college that ABC is still decent results & go to uni and taking 3rd year is a waste of time,etc,etc. My head is s p i n n i n g. :frown:

I would resit.Worse case scenario you could still go to Westminster next year.Do not rush into this a year is nothing in reality1
Moved to the Law forum :smile:
My own view on your situation is that you should resit as it's a big change from LSE/Durham to Westminster and if you resit you could come out with AAA in the end and have a wide choice of top unis.

I don't think you'll get an offer from LSE due to their hard attitude towards resits but the other unis you probably will get offers from, and in the great scheme of things what's one extra year? Very little, whereas 3 years at uni is a longer and more important experience to get right.
Reply 11
Original post by okok123
So I am going onto study international relations at Uni of Leeds, other places were Manchester, Queen Mary and Liverpool. I was succesful in all. I resat externally as I had decent grades in my first sitting. I worked and went to Ghana for a bit. I recommend resitting. You are very young and this will allow you to get into a better university!

Hi I really need some advice does it matter if I retake my a levels 3 years later and get into a better university for law 3 years later or is it too late.
Im currently at a mid uni rn and I really want to get a tc at one of the top firms but I feel
Like my a level grades and my university is not gonna be able to get me a tc. Please let me know! Anyone advice will help
Reply 12
Original post by Sheila.a6
Hi I really need some advice does it matter if I retake my a levels 3 years later and get into a better university for law 3 years later or is it too late.
Im currently at a mid uni rn and I really want to get a tc at one of the top firms but I feel
Like my a level grades and my university is not gonna be able to get me a tc. Please let me know! Anyone advice will help

You have bumped a four yr old thread Please start a new one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending