The Student Room Group

Learning shapes using maths - any suggestions on material for this?

Hello, I'm currently learning to use Processing [1] and I'm interested in creating shapes using maths, basically. I'm not sure what this is called though, and some of the material that I've found is too far above my current level, and not really focussed on what I'm currently interested in. They (from the link) are complex 3D images, whereas I'm more interested in more simple, flat geometrical pieces.

Perhaps some examples of what it is that I'm interested in will help.

Here's a blog post with a bunch of GIF's containing the shape / methods that I'm referring to.

The way that they are made is with quite strict mathematical principles / formulas rather than programming lots of Objects and defining their interactions that way.

For another example - Here's an Image (or animation) and here's the code for that animation. As you can see from that code, its not Object Oriented it's based around a particular formula/s.

So I'm unsure about the path to take in order to learn the material that will give me the info to understand and create this kind of imagery.

Geometry? Euclidian Geometry? Plane Geometry?

I'm currently working my way through the UK AS Level for maths (as a mature student, not at school). But anything more targeted that I could focus on as well would be ace.

If there's any more information that I can provide just say, hope it made sense

thanks!

[1] Processing is just a programming language that's based on Java with an orientation towards creating images and little animations.

Quick Reply

Latest