The Student Room Group

Sitting A-levels privately

Hi everyone, I'm planning on privately taking five A-level subjects (Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics and English) within a year and would like to gather some information in regard to:
1)the syllabi
2)Practical assessment(for the STEM subjects)
For the the different syllabi, do they change every year or is just the same each year. I want to get the syllabus straight as I'm going to be self-teaching through textbooks and other free resources as I've checked various distance learning providers and they cost an arm and a leg.
How can I prepare and take the practical assessments, provided I'm a private student. I would greatly appreciate any help☺️.
Reply 1
Original post by Blujay
Hi everyone, I'm planning on privately taking five A-level subjects (Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics and English) within a year and would like to gather some information in regard to:
1)the syllabi
2)Practical assessment(for the STEM subjects)
For the the different syllabi, do they change every year or is just the same each year. I want to get the syllabus straight as I'm going to be self-teaching through textbooks and other free resources as I've checked various distance learning providers and they cost an arm and a leg.
How can I prepare and take the practical assessments, provided I'm a private student. I would greatly appreciate any help☺️.

You need to choose an exam board - the specifications are on their websites.

Why 5 A levels? You don't needmore than 3 and to tackle 5 in a year is 'ambitious' or somewhat foolish.

You'll need to get somewhere for you to do the practicals and that won't be cheap.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
You need to choose an exam board - the specifications are on their websites.

Why 5 A levels? You don't needmore than 3 and to tackle 5 in a year is 'ambitious' or somewhat foolish.

You'll need to get somewhere for you to do the practicals and that won't be cheap.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I’ve done some research and I think I’ll go with Edexcel. I wanted to do four initially but because English isn’t my first language I had to add it on. I’ll do more research for centres that offer practicals and would you by any chance have some good recommendation for some online study materials in relation to those subjects?
Reply 3
Original post by Blujay
Thanks a lot for your reply. I’ve done some research and I think I’ll go with Edexcel. I wanted to do four initially but because English isn’t my first language I had to add it on. I’ll do more research for centres that offer practicals and would you by any chance have some good recommendation for some online study materials in relation to those subjects?

Drop one of the others if you need to do Englaish - are you sure IELTS won't do?

Are you doing the linear specification in England or ...
Reply 4
Drop one of the others if you need to do Englaish - are you sure IELTS won't do?

Are you doing the linear specification in England or ...

I haven't really thought about IELTS, thanks and I'm not quite sure what linear specification means but I'll be taking the exams in England, yes.
Reply 5
Original post by Blujay
I haven't really thought about IELTS, thanks and I'm not quite sure what linear specification means but I'll be taking the exams in England, yes.

Linear means you sit the assessment at the end of the course.

Check what the language requirement is for the courses you are looking at.

Maths has loads of resources free online - youtube like Bicenmaths https://www.youtube.com/@BicenMaths

Websites like Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29

MathsMadeEasy: https://mmerevise.co.uk/a-level-maths-revision/

Lots of others - just ask if you don't like these
Reply 6
Linear means you sit the assessment at the end of the course.

Check what the language requirement is for the courses you are looking at.

Maths has loads of resources free online - youtube like Bicenmaths https://www.youtube.com/@BicenMaths

Websites like Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29

MathsMadeEasy: https://mmerevise.co.uk/a-level-maths-revision/

Lots of others - just ask if you don't like these

Will do. On further research, I think I’ll drop Physics because it’s optional. And thank you for the recommendations, I’ll make sure I go through them. Also, if you have any recommendations for Chem, Biology or English please let me know. Again thank you.
Reply 7
Original post by Blujay
Will do. On further research, I think I’ll drop Physics because it’s optional. And thank you for the recommendations, I’ll make sure I go through them. Also, if you have any recommendations for Chem, Biology or English please let me know. Again thank you.

I teach Maths so don't really have other subject suggestions - I'm sure there's suggestions on other threads - so do a search.
Reply 8
I teach Maths so don't really have other subject suggestions - I'm sure there's suggestions on other threads - so do a search.

I'm currently on the search and it's a bit overwhelming(so many resources). I've checked out the links you sent and I cannot thank you enough. Thanks a lot for helping.
Reply 9
No sure about English but Save my Exams has been really helpful for me for bio and chem
Reply 10
Original post by yogo1o
No sure about English but Save my Exams has been really helpful for me for bio and chem

Thanks for the reply, I'll make sure to check it out. Also do you have any good textbook recommendations for Chem and Bio?
Reply 11
There should be approved ones for your course - just make sure you get ones that align with your exam board (and they're cheaper if you buy them second hand on Ebay)
Reply 12
Original post by yogo1o
There should be approved ones for your course - just make sure you get ones that align with your exam board (and they're cheaper if you buy them second hand on Ebay)

I'm going with Edexcel and there are textbooks from Pearson which they say is recommended, but I've also heard that books from CGP are more concise.
Reply 13
I haven't used CGP at A-level but I always got the impression that they were more revision guides rather than textbooks themselves, so considering you're doing them privately and so won't have an actual teacher, I'd suggest sticking to the recommended textbooks, rather than CGP
Reply 14
Original post by yogo1o
I haven't used CGP at A-level but I always got the impression that they were more revision guides rather than textbooks themselves, so considering you're doing them privately and so won't have an actual teacher, I'd suggest sticking to the recommended textbooks, rather than CGP

Thanks for the advice. I now have a better understanding of the two. I'll get the Pearson ones. Also, are there any good Youtube tutors you could recommend for these two subjects?
Reply 15
That really depends on what works best for you but try and stick to channels who are actual A-level teachers (and, if you can stick to videos that cover your exam board)
I find Allery Chemistry good for A Level Chemistry. It revises the chapter, so you should learn the chapter first and then use the video as revision.
Physics and maths tutor is good for exam questions and revision notes for maths and all the sciences.
Reply 17
Original post by yogo1o
That really depends on what works best for you but try and stick to channels who are actual A-level teachers (and, if you can stick to videos that cover your exam board)

Will do. Thanks again for the help

Quick Reply

Latest