The Student Room Group

Is Y10 to early to start revising GCSE stuff

im not sure when i should start revising for my gcses and idk how much i should be revising. even though im going into y10 im feeling nervous already, is this normal? and is there anything i can do to help. any help/advice is useful. ty.
Reply 1
Original post by SSahkurah
im not sure when i should start revising for my gcses and idk how much i should be revising. even though im going into y10 im feeling nervous already, is this normal? and is there anything i can do to help. any help/advice is useful. ty.

The idea of doing your GCSEs can be very scary because these will be the most important qualifications of your life… until you go on to do further qualifications as you get older and realise those become more important and so on. Feeling the pressure is very normal and it’s good you’re wanting to take advantage of the time you have to progress as much as possible before the end of year 11. :smile:

You could always get a taster of the different subjects you’re taking. There are so many resources online that will help you to do this and getting that head start might help you feel a bit more comfortable? Even if you don’t understand everything, you could always take note of these specific parts and ask you teachers about these once the school year starts. Taking control of your education in this way is a great skill to learn that will be very useful in any further education and is also a great skill to mention in job interviews!

I will say that it’s important to not burn yourself out. Make sure you take plenty of breaks and give yourself time to recharge and learn stress management techniques. It’s very important to look after your mental health and doing so will prove helpful as you get closer to actually doing your exams.

If you want to mention specific subjects, I can give some more in depth suggestions. I will also add that you might be more inclined to spend a lot of next summer revising so make sure to enjoy this summer doing things you love since you don’t have any revision commitments yet so you can start the year fully charged and ready to learn. :h:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by SSahkurah

I would recommend as soon as you have started GCSE content to start making revision materials so when it comes closer to exams (or even just end of topic tests) you can revise instead of having to make all of the revision materials as well which can become quite overwhelming.

Small amounts of revision as you go along will be beneficial so again you don't overwhelm yourself as much when it comes to revising for bigger exams.

Feeling nervous for any sort of big change is normal, but I would try not to worry too much because all the work you have done prior to this is to start to prepare you for the work that you will do at GCSEs.
Reply 3
Im not sure what every one else have said so far, but i'd say start, slowly slowly, to start revising stuff youve gone over in lesson. Believe me, i did my gcses this year and i cant believe that i am already a yr 12 after this summer. Edit ( I was in a rush and accidentally used another language keyboard): it feels like no time at all since I was relaxing in yr9 (in and out of COVID tho)
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Matrix123
The idea of doing your GCSEs can be very scary because these will be the most important qualifications of your life… until you go on to do further qualifications as you get older and realise those become more important and so on. Feeling the pressure is very normal and it’s good you’re wanting to take advantage of the time you have to progress as much as possible before the end of year 11. :smile:

You could always get a taster of the different subjects you’re taking. There are so many resources online that will help you to do this and getting that head start might help you feel a bit more comfortable? Even if you don’t understand everything, you could always take note of these specific parts and ask you teachers about these once the school year starts. Taking control of your education in this way is a great skill to learn that will be very useful in any further education and is also a great skill to mention in job interviews!

I will say that it’s important to not burn yourself out. Make sure you take plenty of breaks and give yourself time to recharge and learn stress management techniques. It’s very important to look after your mental health and doing so will prove helpful as you get closer to actually doing your exams.

If you want to mention specific subjects, I can give some more in depth suggestions. I will also add that you might be more inclined to spend a lot of next summer revising so make sure to enjoy this summer doing things you love since you don’t have any revision commitments yet so you can start the year fully charged and ready to learn. :h:

Spanish, Maths and Physics are probably some of my weakest subjects and I have been struggling with them for a while. Thanks for the reply its helped me a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest