The Student Room Group

Making hyper, iso and hypotonic solutions to add to blood?

In my biology investigation my first aim is to investigate the effect of adding hyper, iso and hypotonic solutions to blood; I have acquired pig blood from my local butchers, although I can't seem to find anywhere that has instructions on how to synthesis said solutions.

Can someone please include instructions of chemicals I require, and steps!
Thank you.
Original post by Michael1997
In my biology investigation my first aim is to investigate the effect of adding hyper, iso and hypotonic solutions to blood; I have acquired pig blood from my local butchers, although I can't seem to find anywhere that has instructions on how to synthesis said solutions.

Can someone please include instructions of chemicals I require, and steps!
Thank you.

This seems like an odd independent investigation to run; I would have thought you would have been provided with 'blood' and any hyper, hypo or isotonic solutions you may need. But here goes:

Hypertonic solution - can be any plain glucose solution with a concentration that exceeds 5%. For example, 10% dextrose in water, also known by its name D10W (i.e. this is often used as an IV fluid)
Hypotonic solution - can be any plain glucose solution with a concentration lower than 5%.
Isotonic solution - can be any plain glucose solution with a 5% concentration.

Essentially, I am basing these concentrations on plasma osmolality.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending