The Student Room Group

EPQ

Is it worth doing 4 A Levels and an EPQ ?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by agent_duck343

No. Your time will be spread very thin doing 4 A levels anyway (which, for the vast majority of courses at the vast majority of unis, provides no benefit anyway). Adding an EPQ on top of that risks your A level grades suffering. An A*A*A* grade profile is better than an A*AAA + EPQ A profile.

If you want to do the EPQ, do it alongside 3 A levels instead.
Reply 2

Unless you are doing FM, drop the 4th and do EPQ instead. That would be better for all unis, including the hyper competitive ones like Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Edinburgh etc.
I wanted to do 3 and EPQ but one of the sixth forms I was looking at requires four A Levels and an optional EPQ so I’m not sure
Reply 4
I wanted to do 3 and EPQ but one of the sixth forms I was looking at requires four A Levels and an optional EPQ so I’m not sure

You can only do an EPQ if you to 4 A-levels? That does not make any sense, so you might want to double check with the school.
Original post by lalexm
You can only do an EPQ if you to 4 A-levels? That does not make any sense, so you might want to double check with the school.

this is from their website
Reply 6
this is from their website

Unless doing FM, there is no benefit to doing 4, as you just add unnecessary risk and stress. It is fairly common though for students to start with 4, and then drop down to 3 after a few weeks once they have settled on the 3 they like the most. Not sure if that is what the intention is with this school.

Unfortunately, some schools have absolutely no clue about uni admissions and treat the number of A levels which their students take as a badge of honour. In won't be long before we see some schools mandate that students do 5 A levels (it may have already happened). :frown:
Reply 8

Definitely not for the reasons above

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending