The Student Room Group

Problems in social group

Recently, I've been getting a bit down when out with a group of friends of mine. In the group is my ex girlfriend - We were going out for about a year, and broke up about 2 months ago. It sounds stupid, but recently its been getting me down, and whenever I'm out with them I end up going home early or not enjoying myself much.

It's mostly trivial things - The other night, we went out for a meal. I and three friends arrived on time, but everyone else was late. I was sitting in the middle of the table, not wanting to be isolated at the end, with people I didn't know. When my ex and the others arrived, she asked me to move up, which I agreed to but said "I don't want to sit on the end". Then as more and more people arrived she kept asking me to move up, and I ended up on the end of the table.... and then finally she ended up swapping places with someone, so I was surrounded by strangers. Now I'm not an unsociable person, but I came out that night to talk to my friends, and I ended up having barely any conversation with them.

I think the point is that it seems strange that she doesn't seem to even care for me as a friend anymore, despite only 2 weeks ago being angry at me for spending time with another girl - even though it wasn't in any way in the romantic sense.

I'd really appreciate some advice, especially if someone else has been in the same situation. Thanks.
Solution - hang out with them when she's not around. Being around her is not healthy for you, and you will continue to feel crap.
The meal was just one event, don't worry about it.

This girl was a big part of your life by the sounds of it. Surely you can try and talk to her about it? It might hurt but the outcome may outweigh the pain.

I split up with a boyfriend not too long ago, had been with him for more than 2 years and I pretty much ignored him for several weeks. The reason I did this was to allow him to move on as he kept trying to contact me, asking me to get back with him etc.

I'd seriously consider talking to her about it. Do you still care for her as a friend? If you do, perhaps she doesn't realise this and it would be nice to tell her.

Good luck :smile:
Stand up for yourself more or she will continue to push you around. Maybe accept that there isn't a friendship to be had between you two so try spending more time with your actual friends x
Reply 4
Why did you listen to her in the first place?
I'm confused.

Latest

Trending

Trending