The Student Room Group

Can Labour pay for university fee cut?

BREAKING: Labour's leader, Ed Miliband, wants to next month announce an eye-catching policy of cutting maximum university fees for students by a third, from £9,000 to £6,000

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30976509
Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

This would certainly be a good move if you ask me! It's a win-win scenario if you think about it. Students, and people in general actually, struggle to decipher between the Labour and Conservative parties - so I think for Labour to potentially announce this commitment to students could be huge for them trying to win the youth vote. The policy would also save students £3,000 per academic year - and it can't be underestimated how much students would value a policy that protects their financial interests. I do wonder whether Labour would apply this policy to students currently paying £9,000 a year though.

Interesting news anyway! Thanks for sharing.
It's still way more than tuition fees used to be. Just a gimmick policy in my opinion. I don't really trust politician promises when it comes to student tuition fees.
Gimmick to try to woo the students , for how many months have we known this announcement was going to be made?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
The other 3k still has to come from somewhere.
As I'm only paying jus over 3,000 per year for my current undergraduate degree, it still seems like an awful lot to have to pay. But it's obviously an improvement on the current system. What will also matter with this policy is how they plan to regulate loans/ repayments.
Vote conservatives I will not condone borrowing borrowing borrowing
Original post by Gott
This is why students shouldn't be allowed to vote

Why's that? Should they not be allowed to vote to protect their own interests like every other person in society does?
Reply 8
This policy was announced like 3 years ago.

Original post by Reluire
Why's that? Should they not be allowed to vote to protect their own interests like every other person in society does?

To be fair it does highlight how fickle the electorate is. Labour promised not to introduce tuition fees but did anyway. Labour created the Browne report and said they'd back it's recommendations (the very report which recommended uncapped fees and resulted in the coalition rise - the Labour manifesto was written by Ed Miliband). Now Labour get the student vote for diluting something they'd have done in office anyway.

Then again, i'm not really a fan of universal suffrage anyway although i'd not limit voting by age.
Original post by Piledriver
BREAKING: Labour's leader, Ed Miliband, wants to next month announce an eye-catching policy of cutting maximum university fees for students by a third, from £9,000 to £6,000

Thoughts?

Populist policy from a populist party. The current system is perfectly reasonable. Someone has to pay for education, and it is fair that that someone is the person receiving it, when they have income enough to do so. Many universities have actually complained that the current £9k is not enough to properly run themselves.
Sounds like a good idea but there's always a catch. He'll either promise it to students to gain their vote and drop the promise after the election and go with a watered down compromise, the universities will reject it because its far too costly to them to lose that money and they'll want to make it up elsewhere, probably in accomodation or something worse will happen. This isn't convincing me whatsoever nor are any of the Labour Parties promises, they're either unfeasible, lies or just smoke and mirrors.
Original post by Gott
I meant this is why the age of voting shouldn't be lowered, because they are likely to be politically disinterested but vote for the evil that is Labour for this gimic policy, besides which there is nothing unreasonable about the current system, the poor are not disallowed higher education but are made to pay for it when they can. However if taxes must be wasted in there millions as it is, then I would advocate completely free education

Conservatives are a party who want to keep the rich rich and the poor poor. They wanna make it harder for the working class to go to uni and have a chance to move up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
****ing gimmick, they're trying to look good while keeping the status quo. **** labour..
Is there anything for those who are currently paying £9000? Doesn't 'woo' me.
Original post by Piledriver

Thoughts?

That would be massive...
Original post by marco14196
Sounds like a good idea but there's always a catch. He'll either promise it to students to gain their vote and drop the promise after the election and go with a watered down compromise, the universities will reject it because its far too costly to them to lose that money and they'll want to make it up elsewhere, probably in accomodation or something worse will happen. This isn't convincing me whatsoever nor are any of the Labour Parties promises, they're either unfeasible, lies or just smoke and mirrors.

Not if you hold them to account.
I don't understand why so many people act as if 2700£ is going out of their OWN pockets. Your education is being given away to you for virtually zilch - those who can't afford to pay it off - most - won't, whilst those who will, will pay it off and remember that many will try all the while not being forced/burdened by the loan.

If anything, the numbers don't add up and the current system will have to be scrapped because the government won't be able to afford it or the universities will begin to seriously suffer in terms of investment because the higher establishments can't compete well off of the current provisions - the real problem is the maintenance loans/grants from a students perspective. For lower income students the system seems very helpful whilst for those more well off it isn't so helpful because of parents reliance.

Either way the fees decrease will not tempt me to vote Labour but that's not to say I'll vote conservatives.
If anything the fees isn't what we should be complaining to the government about, why are the filthy rich bankers, politicians et al not being targeted for tax evasion and irresponsible decision making? Eg the NHS collapse, lack of school places and houses and the growing disparity between rich and poor?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Numan786
Conservatives are a party who want to keep the rich rich and the poor poor. They wanna make it harder for the working class to go to uni and have a chance to move up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely if that were so there wouldn't be the loans and then obscene grants for the poor?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Doesn't really make much difference.

If you won't pay pay back£5k fees, you won't pay back £6k or £9k fees.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Surely if that were so there wouldn't be the loans and then obscene grants for the poor?

Posted from TSR Mobile

All these things were a product of the labour regime and I bet a million squillion borillion quid that if the conservatives could have scrapped the grants and any form of help for the less well off without any repercussions they would.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending