The Student Room Group

veterinary medicine as a second degree

Hello,

I'm looking for people who are in the same situation as me or can offer some insight.

My name is Marie, (f25) and I graduated with a BSc in 2023.

In January 2023 of last year, I received an offer to study BVSci at the University of Surrey after realizing veterinary medicine was my future career aspiration.

Due to a bad car crash and the resulting injuries, I could not accept my offer last year nor reapply for this year in time. This means I will now have to wait until October 2024 to reapply for Veterinary Medicine.

Does anyone have any insight for financing vet medicine as a second degree? There is such a shortage for vets in this country but absolutely no government support for studying it after another degree.
Original post by lucaspawprints
Hello,

I'm looking for people who are in the same situation as me or can offer some insight.

In January 2023 of last year, I received an offer to study BVSci at the University of Surrey after realizing veterinary medicine was my future career aspiration.

Due to a bad car crash and the resulting injuries, I could not accept my offer last year nor reapply for this year in time. This means I will now have to wait until October 2024 to reapply for Veterinary Medicine.

Does anyone have any insight for financing vet medicine as a second degree? There is such a shortage for vets in this country but absolutely no government support for studying it after another degree.

Hi there!

Sorry to hear about your car accident.

It is worth contacting Student Finance, via this link, to ask if you're eligible for any type of support funding your course. Maybe tuition fee support?

Also have a look to see if Surrey can support you in any way through scholarships or bursaries, here.

I hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc
Hello,

Hey, so I’m in the same position as you and did a zoology degree and a masters before applying for veterinary medicine last September. Im in a very lucky position that my family can pay the tuition fees for me and that they can fund for me to live away from home. I believe that this is the position that most graduate applicants are in. If I were you I would look into bursaries that any university’s are able to offer, I’d also suggest applying to university’s close to you so that you can cut down on living expenses. The RVC did release this document- https://www.rvc.ac.uk/Media/Default/Advice%20Centre/Veterinary%20Medicine%20as%20a%20Second%20Degree%20for%20UKEU%20%20Students%202019-20.docx.pdf which has some information on charities that you can look into and I believe some of the other universities has some information on their websites about options for funding as a second degree.
Reply 3
Hello,

Hi, I am a graduate (22, f) who’s just received an offer to study Veterinary medicine for 2024 entry. I spoke to student finance a few weeks ago and they assured me that graduates looking to study a second undergrad degree would be entitled to a maintenance fee loan. This could then be put towards the tuition fee, and i am planning on accepting the offer from the uni closest to home whilst working a weekend job to help with the costs. Most unis seem to offer bursary’s too, I hope this helps!
Original post by eviet123
Hi, I am a graduate (22, f) who’s just received an offer to study Veterinary medicine for 2024 entry. I spoke to student finance a few weeks ago and they assured me that graduates looking to study a second undergrad degree would be entitled to a maintenance fee loan. This could then be put towards the tuition fee, and i am planning on accepting the offer from the uni closest to home whilst working a weekend job to help with the costs. Most unis seem to offer bursary’s too, I hope this helps!

Hey where are you starting? Congratulations!!
Reply 5

Hey where are you starting? Congratulations!!

Thankyou! So far i’ve had an offer from UCLAN which was my first choice anyway so most likely going to accept. Where are you thinking of applying for 2025?
Thankyou! So far i’ve had an offer from UCLAN which was my first choice anyway so most likely going to accept. Where are you thinking of applying for 2025?

I actually applied before January for the UCLan foundation course so I'm just waiting to hear back from them. They said I might have a chance to get into the Five-Year course on results day. So things go well I'll move down from Scotland and might see you this year!
Reply 7

I actually applied before January for the UCLan foundation course so I'm just waiting to hear back from them. They said I might have a chance to get into the Five-Year course on results day. So things go well I'll move down from Scotland and might see you this year!

That’s amazing, wishing you the best of luck! Let me know how you get on and yes hopefully see you in september 😊

Hi @eviet123,

Great news that you have received an offer to study veterinary medicine here at UCLan. 🌹

Let me know if I can help with any questions you might have about life here as a student. 😊

Best wishes,
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending