The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge

My Son will be applying for Uni . In Medicine . we have to select 5 Option although I personally see this is very unfair to block people just for 5 Uni selection it should have been fair option to select any or minimum 10 Uni . as International Students allowed any university just because they are paying 5x fees then home student . very unfair hope if people raise this concern on social media so Education Minister can make some changes in this .

my Question is

My Son predicted Grade are A* A A ( Chemistry , Math , Biology )
and Possible he will get A* A* A .

his GCSE Grade were 8,8,7,6,9 and Distinction in Enterprise .

he is doing his Preparation for BMAT

he got one problem as we were not aware UCAT can be only one time in a year we pushed him to give test and he was not fully prepared he got 2480 as an average .

we have to select Universities list .

1) Oxford
2) Cambridge
3) Lancaster
4) Manchester
5) UCL
6) UCLAN
7) Leicester

I learn Oxford Uni is like a Business so they give priority to International Student Mainly and UCAS are Limiting us to put the Number of University where my son can apply .

we are confuse shell we keep Oxford on Application or we drop OXFORD because of their Strategy not to give admissions to UK Home Students mainly but just do a formalities . as for International Students criteria is very low to get in due to Fees they are paying .

there is no doubt Oxford has good name i feel we are westing our 1 name by putting Oxford in the List .

i hear good Comments about Cambridge and found they are having fair admission criteria for Local Students as well .

any feed back to help me out here so we can make our decision or any other option will be good as well . please advise.
Original post by BoltonMan
My Son will be applying for Uni . In Medicine . we have to select 5 Option although I personally see this is very unfair to block people just for 5 Uni selection it should have been fair option to select any or minimum 10 Uni . as International Students allowed any university just because they are paying 5x fees then home student . very unfair hope if people raise this concern on social media so Education Minister can make some changes in this .

my Question is

he got one problem as we were not aware UCAT can be only one time in a year we pushed him to give test and he was not fully prepared he got 2480 as an average .

1) Oxford
2) Cambridge
3) Lancaster
4) Manchester
5) UCL
6) UCLAN
7) Leicester

I learn Oxford Uni is like a Business so they give priority to International Student Mainly and UCAS are Limiting us to put the Number of University where my son can apply .

we are confuse shell we keep Oxford on Application or we drop OXFORD because of their Strategy not to give admissions to UK Home Students mainly but just do a formalities . as for International Students criteria is very low to get in due to Fees they are paying .

there is no doubt Oxford has good name i feel we are westing our 1 name by putting Oxford in the List .

i hear good Comments about Cambridge and found they are having fair admission criteria for Local Students as well .

any feed back to help me out here so we can make our decision or any other option will be good as well . please advise.

When you apply to medical schools, you apply using your UCAT score and comparing it to their historic data for most, to see if you have a chance at interview
See https://www.medicmind.co.uk/medicine-ucas-guide/where-can-i-apply-with-my-ucat-score/
Just a note for Cambridge, the entry requirements are A*A*A for Medicine
Reply 3
Are they a uk applicant? If so you are only allowed four medicine choices. Your 5th has to be non medicine.

That UCAT is too low for Manchester based on last years cut off. Leicester will be unlikely as well due to GCSE grades. How many GCSE's did he do? Oxford expect 9 or 10 to be taken and expect top grades in these.

You need to post full stats in this thread for guidance

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7312527
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by BoltonMan

my Question is

1) Oxford
2) Cambridge
3) Lancaster
4) Manchester
5) UCL
6) UCLAN
7) Leicester

International students can also have 5 choices only with the fifth choice not on medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending