The Student Room Group

Please can anyone explain to Me a root to become a clinical psychologist?

I've recently found out about this job and I feel it's right for me but I don't know too much about how to apply to it or how long the course is or anything ?

Can anyone please explain? Any good uni suggestion and grade requirements?
You need to do decently at A-Level/equivalent (most of the good unis want AAA-AAB), apply for a BPS accredited psychology degree (you can look at the league tables for rankings) and achieve a first or 2:1, gain a few years of paid and/or voluntary relevant work experience (in mental health + psych research), and you finally apply for the highly competitive clinical psychology doctorate that takes 3 years to complete.

The earliest you could possibly become a qualified clinical psychologist would be 7 years from starting your undergraduate degree (3 year bsc + 1 year experience + 3 year doctorate) and that's a bit unrealistic because most people applying for the doctorate have much more than one year of work experience.
Reply 2
Original post by kathykathykathy
You need to do decently at A-Level/equivalent (most of the good unis want AAA-AAB), apply for a BPS accredited psychology degree (you can look at the league tables for rankings) and achieve a first or 2:1, gain a few years of paid and/or voluntary relevant work experience (in mental health + psych research), and you finally apply for the highly competitive clinical psychology doctorate that takes 3 years to complete.

The earliest you could possibly become a qualified clinical psychologist would be 7 years from starting your undergraduate degree (3 year bsc + 1 year experience + 3 year doctorate) and that's a bit unrealistic because most people applying for the doctorate have much more than one year of work experience.

Thank you. Is clinical psychology really that competitive ??
Original post by Hello!123
Thank you. Is clinical psychology really that competitive ??
"The success rate in 2014 was 15%. Between 1 in 6 and 1 in 7 applicants got a place on a course."
https://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/BasicNumbers.html

Quick Reply

Latest