The Student Room Group

qualifications needed for a clinical psychologist

I am applying to study forensic psychology at university but i want to become a clinical psychologist later on, my course is accredited by the BPS but i dont want to go on to do a postgraduate degree is there anyway to still become a clinical psychologist
To become a clinical psychologist you need to do a DClinPsy after a BPS accredited psychology degree. As far as I'm aware it's not possible to become a clinical psychologist in the UK with just an undergraduate degree.
Reply 2
Original post by processed-falcon
I am applying to study forensic psychology at university but i want to become a clinical psychologist later on, my course is accredited by the BPS but i dont want to go on to do a postgraduate degree is there anyway to still become a clinical psychologist

Nope, no other way. You would need most likely a masters then definitely a doctorate. Thats the easy part, the hard part is getting the often 2plus years practical experience (often more) before hand and actually getting on the doctorate (which is very competitive).

I wouldnt worry about the steps just yet, your not even at the first rung so your ideas and goals may/often do change as you go along.

Greg

Hi! It's a great start that your course is BPS accredited, the next step to becoming a clinical psychologist is gaining clinical work experience and doing a DClinPsy. As of now, there is no other way to become a clinical psychologist in the UK without doing a postgraduate degree. The vast majority of any psychology specific jobs tend to require further education, whether that be MSc, MRes, PhD, DClinPsy, or other certifications. Don't be too disheartened if you are solidly set against doing postgraduate education though, there are still plenty of things you can do with a psychology degree as it is one of the most widely useful degrees available.
-Kat (2nd year psychology undergraduate, Lancaster University)

Hey @processed-falcon,

I'd definitely echo all the points everyone here has made already!

I'd also add - I'd strongly recommend considering what it is about postgrad study that you don't like the idea of. The everyday tasks and goals you'd be working on during your postgrad study would be the same more or less as if you were working as a qualified clinical psychologist, so it's worth being aware of the specific behind-the-scenes responsibilities you might have. If you don't feel like you'll be enthused or fulfilled by that, then the job might not be quite the right fit?

Put it this way: if you needed support from a clinical psychologist, would you pick someone with a Bachelors, or with a postgrad qualification and maybe a few solid years of experience? It's a tough job! If you're really set on it though, there's plenty of support out there for postgrad study (both for applying and during your studies) to help you achieve the best you can, if that's a factor you're worried about or is putting you off.

It can really be worth reflecting on your time at uni as you go through, and consider which parts of your course you're really enjoying and would be happy continuing further or working in - that way you'll know your dream job is absolutely right for you! You don't have to have everything all figured out yet though, so if you're confident you'll love your degree, go for it and things will fall into place as you learn. For me, I've gained a much clearer idea of what I do and don't want to do after uni, purely just through reflecting on my studies!

Hope this helps :smile:

Millie
Lancaster Student Ambassador, 3rd Year Psychology BSc

Quick Reply

Latest