The Student Room Group

Self funded PhD in psych

I’m about to graduate with a four-year bachelor’s in psychology from a reputable uni in Canada. I applied to a bunch of graduate programs this past fall, and I was unfortunately rejected from every single funded program I applied to, despite three years of independent research experience and a 3.99/4.0 GPA, possibly because I’m an international student from a country rightfully hated by the entire world (sadly, there’s absolutely nothing I can do about either my citizenship or the situation in my home country). I ended up accepting a non-clinical PhD offer from a Russell Group uni, accepting it, applying for a DTP, and, of course, getting rejected.

I had offers from two social work MAs and one unfunded educational psych MA, all in Canada but I turned them down because I was set on doing the PhD. I played around with the idea of doing social work for a bit but ultimately came to the conclusion that I wouldn’t be very successful - I had a peer support job last year and absolutely hated it because I genuinely had no idea what to say 99% of the time.

So now I’m stuck with the self-funded PhD. My parents are fortunately able to support me through grad school, so the money aspect is not a problem here. However, I had no idea that self-funded PhDs are looked down upon so much in academia! So at this point, I’m seriously worried about my job prospects. There are already so many factors working against me such as my nationality (I obviously didn’t choose to be born where I was born and I left my country to study abroad as soon as I could) and needing visa sponsorship, and I just want to set myself up for success.

My options are as follows:
1. Do the three year PhD and try to get the most out of it i.e. publish and TA as much as possible but again, there’s no guarantee of success. In case I can’t secure a postdoc, I could apply to med schools in Ireland (wouldn’t be able to do it in the UK due to visa limitations— internationals can’t extend their study permit to do a program at a lower level than their original course)
2. Start the PhD but apply to UK med schools this fall (I’m aware that I would have to take the UCAT/BMAT this summer as well which I’m fine with) and if I’m successful quit my PhD. I would feel awful for putting my supervisors (both lovely but not the top people in my field) through this but I have to prioritize job security. My dad is okay with this option but my mom is a bit ****y.

Unfortunately taking a gap year or two would not be an option. While I can get a Canadian work permit which could lead me to permanent residency, it would be a huge gamble to forgo grad school at this stage and try to find a skilled job that would improve my chances of getting into grad school with nothing but a psych undergrad. Going back to my home country is not an option either.

Can anyone please share some insight??

Thank you,
Noodle
Hi, congratulations on your offers!

1. Actually, you can do a lower course as long as you can defend why you want to do it. You will be required to include a progression statement in your CAS to apply for a visa. From PhD to Medicine will actually be easy to explain away.

2. I wouldn't say self-funded PhD is looked down upon... it is just that PhD is considered a full-time job, and so some people can't seem to comprehend working for free for the supervisor. No one would know you are self-funded unless you tell them. Similarly, being self-funded is not included on your certificate whatsoever. You'd have to go out of your way to bring it up to whatever role you aim to apply to after your doctorate. Literally no one would ask how you funded your PhD during a job interview, so you basically have the same opportunities as someone who had funding during your job search.

If doing a self-funded PhD is what you are interested in, and you can afford it, go ahead. If I could afford it, I would have done a self-funded PhD straight after my bachelors.
Original post by Noodleforabrain
I’m about to graduate with a four-year bachelor’s in psychology from a reputable uni in Canada. I applied to a bunch of graduate programs this past fall, and I was unfortunately rejected from every single funded program I applied to, despite three years of independent research experience and a 3.99/4.0 GPA, possibly because I’m an international student from a country rightfully hated by the entire world (sadly, there’s absolutely nothing I can do about either my citizenship or the situation in my home country). I ended up accepting a non-clinical PhD offer from a Russell Group uni, accepting it, applying for a DTP, and, of course, getting rejected.

I had offers from two social work MAs and one unfunded educational psych MA, all in Canada but I turned them down because I was set on doing the PhD. I played around with the idea of doing social work for a bit but ultimately came to the conclusion that I wouldn’t be very successful - I had a peer support job last year and absolutely hated it because I genuinely had no idea what to say 99% of the time.

So now I’m stuck with the self-funded PhD. My parents are fortunately able to support me through grad school, so the money aspect is not a problem here. However, I had no idea that self-funded PhDs are looked down upon so much in academia! So at this point, I’m seriously worried about my job prospects. There are already so many factors working against me such as my nationality (I obviously didn’t choose to be born where I was born and I left my country to study abroad as soon as I could) and needing visa sponsorship, and I just want to set myself up for success.

My options are as follows:
1. Do the three year PhD and try to get the most out of it i.e. publish and TA as much as possible but again, there’s no guarantee of success. In case I can’t secure a postdoc, I could apply to med schools in Ireland (wouldn’t be able to do it in the UK due to visa limitations— internationals can’t extend their study permit to do a program at a lower level than their original course)
2. Start the PhD but apply to UK med schools this fall (I’m aware that I would have to take the UCAT/BMAT this summer as well which I’m fine with) and if I’m successful quit my PhD. I would feel awful for putting my supervisors (both lovely but not the top people in my field) through this but I have to prioritize job security. My dad is okay with this option but my mom is a bit ****y.

Unfortunately taking a gap year or two would not be an option. While I can get a Canadian work permit which could lead me to permanent residency, it would be a huge gamble to forgo grad school at this stage and try to find a skilled job that would improve my chances of getting into grad school with nothing but a psych undergrad. Going back to my home country is not an option either.

Can anyone please share some insight??

Thank you,
Noodle

What is your end goal?
Reply 3
As far as I know a lot of PhDs in the UK are self funded. Perhaps you could take a look at the PhD student profiles of your school and a couple others to get a more precise number; I know that in my program only about half the students are funded.
Original post by threeportdrift
What is your end goal?

My end goal is to work a skilled and fulfilling job in my field (which falls into the realm of both psychology and medicine) and immigrate to the West. I know this is extremely vague
Reply 5
My end goal is to work a skilled and fulfilling job in my field (which falls into the realm of both psychology and medicine) and immigrate to the West. I know this is extremely vague

I imagine that OP is asking if you intend to aim for a job in academia or the industry. For industry I can't imagine them asking how you funded your PhD, but it may be worth seriously searching if the jobs you want in the industry actually require a PhD. (I'm not in your field so I have no clue, you may have already considered this already.)

As above I think @threeportdrift meant a bit more specifically than that.

Do you want to work in academia? Become a clinical psychologist? Work in some kind of industry (non-clinical) setting? Become a medical doctor?

For working in academia, having a self funded PhD may make things a lot harder. If you want to work in a non-clinical industry setting (e.g. some kind of consultant for a major organisation) then that's less of an issue.

If you want to become a clinical psychologist, a PhD is not strictly necessary and doesn't directly progress you towards that goal - to become a clinical psychologist in the UK you need to do a DClinPsy (a separate degree).

If you want to become a medical doctor then a PhD is really neither here nor there and you'd be best off just applying directly to medical schools.
Oh, right, thanks for clarifying. I know academic jobs are extremely scarce, so I’m okay with working in the industry. There are a few great nonprofits in my field so that could be an option as well. Other industry jobs tend to be more clinical in nature not necessarily clinical psychologists which you need a DClinPsy for (this could be another avenue for me if the BPS approves my undergrad). I’m honestly okay with any skilled job that is linked to my friend and is not problematic!
Original post by Stitchery
I imagine that OP is asking if you intend to aim for a job in academia or the industry. For industry I can't imagine them asking how you funded your PhD, but it may be worth seriously searching if the jobs you want in the industry actually require a PhD. (I'm not in your field so I have no clue, you may have already considered this already.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending