The Student Room Group

MacBook vs iPad for A levels/Uni?

My laptop has completely shut down, it won't run anything and today it just keeps freezing all together. Obviously I need something to work on. I have always wanted a MacBook Pro, but obviously it's a lot of money (although I could get one for around £772 it would still use most of my money right now - and I dont exactly want to spend it all) The other option is an iPad. Lots of my friends use iPads for their school work and like it but overall would it be useful in the long run (for Uni etc) or is it worth me investing into the Macbook Pro (or an air, which would actually be better for me?)
Macbook air all the way. You get a hefty student discount too if you buy from the apple store :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Lionheart96
Macbook air all the way. You get a hefty student discount too if you buy from the apple store :wink:

Air as opposed to Pro? I don't know whether pro would be better since I would also want to photo edit and have space for games potentially?
Original post by yazdro
Air as opposed to Pro? I don't know whether pro would be better since I would also want to photo edit and have space for games potentially?

If you want to game then by all means go with the pro, but its a bitch to carry around with you
A MacBook is more useful than an iPad, as for some things you'll want a proper computer with a keyboard, so if you're getting one I'd recommend the Mac.

Original post by Lionheart96
If you want to game then by all means go with the pro, but its a bitch to carry around with you

The Retina Pro isn't much heavier or bigger than the Air.
Macbook > iPad.

In general:

Laptops for content creation.
Tablets for content consumption.
Original post by yazdro
games potentially?

Depending on how large a priority this is, don't buy a MacBook. Even the best of them has pretty low grade gaming abilities.
MacBook!!! It's such a pain to type things out of an iPad (essays and research would be a problem). As for which one, I have a Pro and my sister has an Air, they both work exactly the same but the only difference is how they look and the price so it's pretty much personal preference :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
MacBook definitely BUT gaming is something you're not going to be really able to do with it in terms of playing high end titles. Out of your choices I would say get the Retina MacBook Pro 13 inch, its just the better machine(I own it myself)
Of the options given, obviously macbook over ipad, however, I'm inclined to say that you don't need a macbook since, in reality, very few actually do, pro fewer still.
Original post by yazdro

Air is fine for photo editing.......however as you are a heavy storage user, getting a larger ssd will be expensive.
And which games? Not all games are Mac compatible and most do not come with a proper dedicated graphics card.
If you wish to do any serious gaming then don't bother with a Macbook of any kind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending