The Student Room Group

I'm Punjabi, but can't speak the language, help?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cake_lover
I was born in the UK and my parents brought me up to speak Urdu (national language of Pakistan) as that's what most young people there speak and is common. But my parents speak to each other in Punjabi, so I understand it but I'm just so nervous I'll mix up words and sound stupid trying to speak Punjabi. How can I perfect the language?

I just feel so proud of my Punjabi heritage and feel annoyed I can't speak my mother tongue :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I CANT SPEAK PUNJABI I ONLY SPEKA ENGLISH AND I AM PUNJABI LOL (indian Punjab)
Original post by SSS_JJJ
What a load of nonsense! So your saying people can't learn languages if they want to ? So your saying when they teach us Spanish or French in school they're "colonising" Britain with immigrant legacy . Seriously?! People can learn whatever language they like .

People can learn what ever language they want. However if they attempt to learn a language to support an immigrant legacy from their parents, that is colonialism.
Reply 22
Original post by leema1122
yeah I understand which accent your talking about as that is the proper form of Punjabi and btw where are u from back home? xx

From Lahore, but pre-partition my family's from Ludhiana. You?
From Lahore, but pre-partition my family's from Ludhiana. You?

My dads side is from Punjab -Jhelum but Mums side from Mirpur that's why I know how to speak both accents loooool but like don't your brothers/sisters or mates speak Punjabi? xxxx
Original post by polpo
Ignore the other poster and keep learning Pashto and Arabic :smile:

Awwwww thank u :smile: do you know how to speak any one of them by any chance? xxxx
Original post by polpo
I've heard others speak them:smile:

oh I see :P xxxx
Tenu punjabi toh samaj toh ayi hogi na ? Ya nay ? Lmao don't worry :smile: I'm pakistani ... Half punjabi and half Pathan and I can kinda speak punjabi but literally don't know a word of Pashto lol .-. I guess it's just the way your parents being you up learning a language :smile: so chill xx you'll learn sooner or later I'm sure . Chinta na kar ( I think that was Hindi fml) 😭 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by polpo
With Pashto however you will have to choose a dialect e.g. Peshawari Pashto because the accents in Pashto are different so kha would mean good but the softer sha would also mean good.:smile:
OMG! How do you know about it? As I am learning the peshawari accent as I have links to far related family there :smile: xxxx
Original post by SSS_JJJ
Okay so curry is from India and exists here and is enjoyed by everyone! That's a form of colonialism , shall we stop making curry for the British public ?

Curry is a choice based on free trade. Nothing to do with legacy or culture.
Original post by polpo
Pashto is quite easy to pick up in terms of vocab and grammar rules, it's just that it's unrepresented in the media which is why most people haven't heard of it.:smile:

Yes I have picked quite a bit up tbh and btw are u Pathan or Afghan if u don't mind me asking? xxxx
Original post by polpo
I'm a Polpo.

I'm joking, I apologise ( and I mean no offense at all) :redface: but I don't feel comfortable revealing my ethnicity online for personal reasons, however if you would like to learn Pashto a new website is coming up called Pashtunology (just type in google) and a very helpful established website exists called www.thepashto.com :smile:
Polpo :P LMAOOOOO :biggrin: and oh okay d.w about the ethnicity thing but thanks as I will check the link out too :smile: xxxx
Reply 31
Original post by leema1122
My dads side is from Punjab -Jhelum but Mums side from Mirpur that's why I know how to speak both accents loooool but like don't your brothers/sisters or mates speak Punjabi? xxxx

I'm from a really white area and there's not many Asians on my course at uni, who I'm mates with at least.

My sister can speak it, but I'm just used to speaking to her in English lol
I'm from a really white area and there's not many Asians on my course at uni, who I'm mates with at least.

My sister can speak it, but I'm just used to speaking to her in English lol

ohhhh I see! well try speaking with your sis and then she can help you as you probably feel like shy in front of her than your parents as the way I improved my languages was with my friends tbh and family as I just kept practising! Best of Luck :smile: Koi mere laik khidmat theh menu das deyo Ji :P xxxx
Personally I think that speaking your mother tongue is important because it helps you learn about your culture and roots.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was born in the UK and my parents brought me up to speak Urdu (national language of Pakistan) as that's what most young people there speak and is common. But my parents speak to each other in Punjabi, so I understand it but I'm just so nervous I'll mix up words and sound stupid trying to speak Punjabi. How can I perfect the language?

I just feel so proud of my Punjabi heritage and feel annoyed I can't speak my mother tongue :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know if anyone has suggested it and I really can't be bothered to scroll all the pages of the thread but I would suggest listening to Punjab radio. My mother has it on day and night and you tend to pick up a thing or two even if you just pop into the kitchen to get a snack. Also the punjabi that they speak is very pure or "proper" and even I struggle to keep up even though I would most definitely say I am a fluent punjabi speaker :smile:
Original post by polpo
Why did my posts get deleted?:confused:

I think it was by the mods

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by polpo
But I didn't say anything offensive :s-smilie:

Mods have their own views lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by polpo
Oh well :frown: thanks for helping me,শুভরাত্রি

Looool your welcome mate. I need sleep so I'm gna not tryna decode what you've written :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by polpo
It's good night in Bengali :smile:

Yeh I gathered the language but I spell things the normal way like shubo raatri instead with the symbols lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Just wondering, if I can master Punjabi, what other South Asian language could be straightforward to learn with background knowledge in Urdu/Punjabi? I'd love to know more languages :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest