The Student Room Group

Is sandhu a muslim name?

I think its indian but can a muslim be named that? Like there are muslims who are patels
Reply 1
No - sounds hindu to me.
Reply 2
It's Sikh.
There are a few muslims who are Patels, but i think most of them are Gujarati, but i don't think Sandhu is a muslim name
Reply 5
i know hindus and sikhs with the surname sandhu, no muslims tho

It says Sikhism and Islam.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
The only Sandhu's I know are Sikh.
Surnames don't necessarily come from religion. They are often words with meanings, from a language or dialect of a language, which in turn varies geographically (at least originally). This explains why Patel is common amongst Gujaratis who are Muslim or Hindu (I personally have met a lot of both). Therefore Sandhu could be a Muslim name but is evidently not exclusive to it.
Reply 9
All the Sandhus I know are Sikh
Reply 10
Nashra Sandhu is a female cricketer from Pakistan not sure if she is Sikh or Muslim
Sounds like a Hindu name to me.
Reply 12
Might her family has forced to convert in Muslims
Original post by bmqib
I think its indian but can a muslim be named that? Like there are muslims who are patels

Yes indeed many of our surnames are shared. Remember Pakistan was a part of India for thousands of years until the British partitioned it off. So surnames, music, poetry, history - all Indian. Besides thankfully many Muslims also chose to stay in India so surnames will come from castes and villages as usual.
No, its Punjabi Jatt community

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending