The Student Room Group

Chinese IGCSE Edexcel homeschooling

I want to study Chinese but my school doesn't offer it, so I got the official textbook to self teach.
However, I can't find anywhere saying how many of the characters you actually need to learn. If anyone could answer this question or just give any tips on this subject that would be really helpful!
Reply 1
Hi! As a homeschooler myself, I recommend checking the syllabus/specification. You can find more information for yours here: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses/international-gcse-chinese-2017.html

I recommend downloading/printing this out and refer to it as much as possible. :smile:

Also, since it's a language, you're most likely going to have to take a speaking test. So I think it may be a good idea to have someone to help you like a tutor or someone who is fluent in Chinese to guide you in the right direction.
Reply 2
Original post by my4s
Hi! As a homeschooler myself, I recommend checking the syllabus/specification. You can find more information for yours here: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses/international-gcse-chinese-2017.html

I recommend downloading/printing this out and refer to it as much as possible. :smile:

Also, since it's a language, you're most likely going to have to take a speaking test. So I think it may be a good idea to have someone to help you like a tutor or someone who is fluent in Chinese to guide you in the right direction.

Thanks! I have a close relative who is fluent, and I have looked through the specification. I'm just not sure how much of the vocabulary the exam board expects me to be able to actually write, since Chinese characters take a lot more work to memorise than french words which use an alphabet 🥹
Reply 3
Yeah.. 😅 I mean I’m studying Arabic Language (not as a GCSE though) and it’s kinda tough but Chinese is notoriously known as a very, very difficult language! But being around people who can speak and help it is great!

Maybe you could looks for online resources? YouTube channels, forums etc?
Reply 4
Original post by my4s
Yeah.. 😅 I mean I’m studying Arabic Language (not as a GCSE though) and it’s kinda tough but Chinese is notoriously known as a very, very difficult language! But being around people who can speak and help it is great!

Maybe you could looks for online resources? YouTube channels, forums etc?

Unfortunately not as many resources for Chinese GCSE as more commonly taken ones such as Spanish, but with the textbook and someone who speaks Chinese I'm managing haha 😭 thanks, also Arabic is such a cool language!
Reply 5
Thanks! Do you know anyone who is studying/has studied or teachers Chinese? If you do maybe they could advise you?
Reply 6
Original post by my4s
Thanks! Do you know anyone who is studying/has studied or teachers Chinese? If you do maybe they could advise you?

Nope, just me and my textbook haha
Reply 7
Hiya! I am native Chinese and tutor gcse and alevel Chinese. For the gcse, there's a list of vocabularies with different topics you need to learn for the exams. The number of vocabularies you need to know also depends if you are doing Foundation Tier or Higher Tier. There are also tricks and tips to help you to recognise Chinese characters. Feel free to message me if you want to know more 😊
Reply 8
Original post by Ivy_n
Hiya! I am native Chinese and tutor gcse and alevel Chinese. For the gcse, there's a list of vocabularies with different topics you need to learn for the exams. The number of vocabularies you need to know also depends if you are doing Foundation Tier or Higher Tier. There are also tricks and tips to help you to recognise Chinese characters. Feel free to message me if you want to know more 😊

Thank you! So is it necessary to remember how to write all the words which show up in the iGCSE Edexcel Chinese textbook if I'm doing higher tier?
Reply 9
Original post by tinnohall
Thank you! So is it necessary to remember how to write all the words which show up in the iGCSE Edexcel Chinese textbook if I'm doing higher tier?

In the exams, you don't have to write ALL of them, but since you don't know which theme would come up in the exams, I would suggest you learn all the words that come up the most. If you need more help, I am available for online tutoring!
Reply 10
Original post by Ivy_n

In the exams, you don't have to write ALL of them, but since you don't know which theme would come up in the exams, I would suggest you learn all the words that come up the most. If you need more help, I am available for online tutoring!

Ah, ok! Thank you ☺️
Reply 11
Original post by tinnohall

It's true that you don't know what questions will come up but it's not necessary to know EVERYTHING. You're not supposed to but you can always answer by just reorganizing the question. Many exam boards translate the writing questions (the hardest for me) for you to understand.

I do recommend speaking in Chinese as much as possible with any foreign friends or family members you have because it helps you loads to easily pass the listening!
Reply 12
Original post by kazncal

It's true that you don't know what questions will come up but it's not necessary to know EVERYTHING. You're not supposed to but you can always answer by just reorganizing the question. Many exam boards translate the writing questions (the hardest for me) for you to understand.

I do recommend speaking in Chinese as much as possible with any foreign friends or family members you have because it helps you loads to easily pass the listening!

Cool thanks:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest