The Student Room Group

How do I drop a GCSE subject? (Year 11)

Okay I know what your thinking 'she's just another stressed kid' but I'm not. I've always hated doing a language in high school when I came to do my GCSEs my school didn't give me a choice, even though the government website said a language isn't compulsory, I thought to myself just stick to it.

By the end of year 10, I was crying to myself quite a lot because of stress but I thought it would get better in year 11. It didn't! From September to January I've had panic attacks and crying fits a lot.

My mum has already rang the school and they said for my assessments they would shorten it down, my teacher hasn't. She told me IN CLASS "Pay attention since you can't do French" and that "I don't try hard enough" so now my mum doesn't know what to do.

Me and my mum would rather that I drop one subject and pull up all my other 'C/D' grade subjects but my mother doesn't know how to approach it with my school since she already rang in last October/November. What do we do? I honestly feel dread when I have to go into School.
Original post by Stressed_studen7
Okay I know what your thinking 'she's just another stressed kid' but I'm not. I've always hated doing a language in high school when I came to do my GCSEs my school didn't give me a choice, even though the government website said a language isn't compulsory, I thought to myself just stick to it.

By the end of year 10, I was crying to myself quite a lot because of stress but I thought it would get better in year 11. It didn't! From September to January I've had panic attacks and crying fits a lot.

My mum has already rang the school and they said for my assessments they would shorten it down, my teacher hasn't. She told me IN CLASS "Pay attention since you can't do French" and that "I don't try hard enough" so now my mum doesn't know what to do.

Me and my mum would rather that I drop one subject and pull up all my other 'C/D' grade subjects but my mother doesn't know how to approach it with my school since she already rang in last October/November. What do we do? I honestly feel dread when I have to go into School.

Don't worry; there's Foundation Tier!
It's not the level I'm worrying about, it's the whole subject!
I'm entered for the foundation but I still have panic attacks.
It's not the level I'm worrying about, it's the whole subject!
I'm entered for the foundation but I still have panic attacks.

As the Foundation Tier examinations are by far the easiest papers you will ever sit, you could inform your teacher, with the help of your parents, for you to have a session in a different subject - possibly maths or a subject that requires improvement.
It would be a waste to drop a subject so close to the exam, but I guess if you did it would free up some time to focus on other subjects. A language is never compulsory, just the higher pathways for options are forced to take one because they look good on a CV and you have more chance of passing if you're clever (obviously)

Speak to your head of year again and see what can be done. If not, don't panic over it, if you don't like it you can't blame yourself that your grade won't be high :smile:
Reply 5
A language would be good to have because Universities and employers love it. I do GCSE German and would say I kinda hate it but still for the sake of the ebacc and having a valuable qualification prevents me from dropping it. You are entered for the foundation tier and the paper is bloody easy to get a C on. I have tried both the foundation and higher papers in German and ended up with E's on the higher papers and C's on the foundation. I manage to get A*/A on the writing and speaking as that is memory work but the higher papers are really easy to lose marks on and foundation is a far better option. Just go for it there's only about 4 more months left.
Reply 6
ask your school to drop ouut of your option because im currently failing

Quick Reply

Latest