The Student Room Group

Edexcel June 2015 politics unit 3A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Posted from TSR Mobile

My pleasure and yeah it was a lot harder then any other paper I have done ... So here's hoping they are low :colone:
Original post by tiejazz
Posted from TSR Mobile

My pleasure and yeah it was a lot harder then any other paper I have done ... So here's hoping they are low :colone:

What are you aiming for?
Reply 82
Did anyone do the long education question?? If so what did u include?? Thanks :smile:
Reply 83
I was just wondering what people put for the 'rehabilitation revolution' question?
I thought it was so strange that two of the 45 marks were about the Coalition!
Reply 84
For the 'rehabilitation revolution' question, I included the following main points:

Firstly, I briefly explained Ken Clarke's 'rehabilitation revolution', how they may have taken inspiration from New Labour's 'third way' and how the ideological stance of the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats combined would have inspired this approach, eg, focusing on the social causes of crime and the rehabilitation of offenders rather than just the punishments, etc.

My main points were as followed:

- introduction of directly elected police commissioners - gives a more public voice to policing so may improve engagement with the police and act as a deterrent for crime so the 'rehabilitation revolution' was achieved here

- fewer prison places - therefore the government are focusing on greater rehabilitation of offenders because they realize that prison does little to educate and prepare offenders for when they return to the outside world. Again, the rehabilitation revolution as achieved here.

- reaction to the August 2011 London riots, eg, police given more discretion to remove face masks, etc. This is evidence of the rehabilitation revolution not having been achieved as this is a fairly authoritarian approach

- the failure of the Draft Communications Bill, 2012, which would have given police greater powers to 'snoop' people's internet searches, etc. The fact that it failed shows that people's civil liberties are being respected and greater trust is being put in the public, hence, possibly improving community engagement with the police, etc.
(I'm not too sure about this point - think I went off on a tangent here?!)

I'm slightly concerned that I missed the point of the question though - does this sound like I was clutching at straws?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sian246
For the 'rehabilitation revolution' question, I included the following main points:

Firstly, I briefly explained Ken Clarke's 'rehabilitation revolution', how they may have taken inspiration from New Labour's 'third way' and how the ideological stance of the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats combined would have inspired this approach, eg, focusing on the social causes of crime and the rehabilitation of offenders rather than just the punishments, etc.

- introduction of directly elected police commissioners - gives a more public voice to policing so may improve engagement with the police and act as a deterrent for crime so the 'rehabilitation revolution' was achieved here

- fewer prison places - therefore the government are focusing on greater rehabilitation of offenders because they realize that prison does little to educate and prepare offenders for when they return to the outside world. Again, the rehabilitation revolution as achieved here.

- reaction to the August 2011 London riots, eg, police given more discretion to remove face masks, etc. This is evidence of the rehabilitation revolution not having been achieved as this is a fairly authoritarian approach

- the failure of the Draft Communications Bill, 2012, which would have given police greater powers to 'snoop' people's internet searches, etc. The fact that it failed shows that people's civil liberties are being respected and greater trust is being put in the public, hence, possibly improving community engagement with the police, etc.

I'm slightly concerned that I missed the point of the question though - does this sound like I was clutching at straws?

Yours sounds good as it is a lot more policy focused than mine. I spoke about community service saying it has increased the the coalition due to the liberal democrat presence(however I am not sure if this is true), I also spoke about Clarke and the ideological divide between him and May, and I spoke about restorative justice
Reply 86
That sounds good too!

We hadn't been taught the environment module and I think, because I wasn't expecting the two other questions to both be on the Coalition, it threw me a little.
I'm far stronger on the historical developments, eg, under Thatcher and Blair.

I just felt like I had missed the point and when I looked back at my notes I realized there were stronger developments I could have included.

I also had done another exam yesterday morning so was seriously running out of energy and brain power by the end of the politics exam! Haha.
(edited 8 years ago)
Anyone do the terrorism 15 marker

Talked about terorism act 2000, after 2004 madrid and 2005 londokn attack everyone was in agreement of doing more to tackle terror tgus precention of terrorism act which extended police powers,

Talked about 2008 counter terrorism act 90 days etc

The proposed snoopers charter

David cameron proposed removal of hra 1998 to be replaced by british bill of rights which has been criticiced by everyone except ukip, snp leader said she will not allow it and if uk removes it, scotland will keep the act
Reply 88
am I the only one that thought the exam was quite a nice paper? the questions were worded strangely but ultimately it was really straight forward
Reply 89
Original post by saint123456789
What are you aiming for?

I really want an A,but not sure thats gonna happen anymore 😲😲
Reply 90
everyone in my exam did the exact same questions as well lool
Reply 91
i think i only found it easy because i had predicted that certain topics were going to come up in 45 and 15 so i revised those. I also knew for some strange reason that hs2 was coming up
Original post by lara.h
i think i only found it easy because i had predicted that certain topics were going to come up in 45 and 15 so i revised those. I also knew for some strange reason that hs2 was coming up

Predicting anything for unit 4
Reply 93
haven't started doing past questions for that yet, i have an english exam on thursday so kinda stressing about that one atm
Reply 94
something topical though so maybe arguments for and against uk membership to EU, EU referendum coming etc its all in the news
Original post by tiejazz
Omg was that the question... I though it was something like what domestic factors have limited the government from stimulating growth...

that was it- domestic factors
sorry my memory is quite bad
Original post by 16178
I thought it was asking about liberal v conservative in coalition and their differences over policies. So I talked about bedroom tax/tuition fee/PIPs etc...but two of my friends said it was about labour and that I somehow misread the Q entirely, a few people did the same.

what question is this for?
Original post by sian246

omg same with me- i couldnt answer envir or the other 45 mark so had to do this. i really ddisnt know what was meant by rehabilitation revolution so i spoke about everythign for policing, community servicce etc

is aid how post 9/11 blair was worried about the countries security and introduced many acts. he gave police greater power ie stop and search but this didnt work as over 100,000 people were stopped but no arrest were made. simialry coalition introduced the pcc but welsh hates it- its too costly and not effective

then i spoke about liberals wanting community service instead of prison

prisons are overloaded and both labour and conservatives want to expand prison

and so on....

does this sound bad- i feel like i didnt really answer the question
Are you guys all doing 4a next week? :eek:
Original post by marthakirby
Are you guys all doing 4a next week? :eek:

Yes u

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending