The Student Room Group

Qualitative biology ocr!!! As!!

I have a biology qualitative exam for lettice leaf. All I know that we will be using sucrose, lettice leaf and a unknown enzyme. And we have to draw out what we see in the microscope. do you know what kind of questions we will get???
(edited 9 years ago)
I've got mine on Wednesday but half my year has already done it. As far as I'm aware the questions are fairly simple and you should get them if you've listened through the year. I think there's some theory-based questions around water potential; what would happen if you put the leaf cells into high and low concentration solutions.

As far as the actual practical goes, all you have to do is put a lettuce in a water bath with an enzyme that digests the cell wall, keep it at a constant temperature and then draw a few different views from a microscope. Make sure you know how to prepare a slide and draw an image.

Good luck!

Edit: Just found this from another post:

"One of them was to draw a lettuce cell displaying the chloroplasts (3 marks)
One was about why you had to warm the water before adding enzyme (1 mark) ( enzymes work at optimum temperature)
one mark for practical
2 marks - why the shape of the cell changed from rectangular to circular - to do with lysis
3 marks- this was about osmosis, and how different concentrations would affect it"

Also, we had a prep session where they covered how to draw things, to summarise:
- Use clear continuous lines
- Draw everything in pencil
- Use ruled lines for labels
- Don't shade
- Use at least half of the available space
- Use a sharp pencil

The system they use to mark it means you lose marks for not doing any of the above, rather than gaining marks for doing them, so be sure to know what you're doing before you go into the exam
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MCmnbvgyuio
I've got mine on Wednesday but half my year has already done it. As far as I'm aware the questions are fairly simple and you should get them if you've listened through the year. I think there's some theory-based questions around water potential; what would happen if you put the leaf cells into high and low concentration solutions.

As far as the actual practical goes, all you have to do is put a lettuce in a water bath with an enzyme that digests the cell wall, keep it at a constant temperature and then draw a few different views from a microscope. Make sure you know how to prepare a slide and draw an image.

Good luck!

One was about why you had to warm the water before adding enzyme (1 mark) ( enzymes work at optimum temperature)
one mark for practical
2 marks - why the shape of the cell changed from rectangular to circular - to do with lysis
3 marks- this was about osmosis, and how different concentrations would affect it"

Also, we had a prep session where they covered how to draw things, to summarise:
- Don't shade
- Use a sharp pencil

The system they use to mark it means you lose marks for not doing any of the above, rather than gaining marks for doing them, so be sure to know what you're doing before you go into the exam

Thank you so much!!
So we don't need to draw table for qualitative ?
Original post by Keiraxox101
So we don't need to draw table for qualitative ?

No, you just have to draw what you can see on full power in the microscope and answer a some questions which are theory based but related to the experiment
Hi I was wondering does the enzyme break down the cell wall or membrane?
It breaks down the cell wall, more specifically the cellulose or pectin, so you can suggest that the enzyme is cellulase or pectinase. It does tell you briefly at the start of the paper so if you forget just use your logic and you'll be fine :smile:
:wink:
It breaks down the cell wall, more specifically the cellulose or pectin, so you can suggest that the enzyme is cellulase or pectinase. It does tell you briefly at the start of the paper so if you forget just use your logic and you'll be fine :smile:

Thank you so much for the help ������ so how does the water diffuse across if the cell wall is broken down does it just pass through?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Superbubbles
:wink:

Thank you so much for the help ������ so how does the water diffuse across if the cell wall is broken down does it just pass through?

A cell wall is fully permeable so it doesn't change the movement of water. What you'll need to know is how different concentrations of solution will affect the movement of water, and what will happen to the cell without the cell wall (shrivel or burst)
Reply 9

Good luck!

one mark for practical

- Don't shade
- Use a sharp pencil

Thank you so much! Do you have any tips on how to do the drawing? We were told not to shade in anything, use a sharp pencil and don't let your arrows cross, but is there anything specific to the lettuce cell that you need to draw? Do you just draw one cell or more, and do you include organelles that you can see or is it just an outline? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Grace613
Thank you so much! Do you have any tips on how to do the drawing? We were told not to shade in anything, use a sharp pencil and don't let your arrows cross, but is there anything specific to the lettuce cell that you need to draw? Do you just draw one cell or more, and do you include organelles that you can see or is it just an outline? Thanks :smile:

That's all fine, sharp pencil, no shading and just draw one cell. Its pretty clear in the paper what to draw, but you only have to draw the outline of the cell and the outline of the chloroplasts, no other organelles. I can't imagine your paper would be any different but just check it says that before you start drawing!

And remember to fill most of the box you're given with your drawing, I think you get a mark just for that

Quick Reply

Latest