The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Access/Foundation at Derby 2015

Hi all,

Thought I would start a thread for those applying for the access/foundation at Derby University this coming September. What pathway and subjects are you applying to study and what do you want to progress onto following the course? How did anyone find the literacy and numeracy tests?

I'm applying for access to science, specifically maths and physics. Hope to go on to study science with education leading to QTS at Nottm Trent or Sheffield Hallam or possibly primary teaching at Derby. Got my literacy and numeracy tests on Feb 25th-bricking it!

Hope to hear from you,

Si.
Hello! I am a digital ambassador at Derby Uni.
I studied a foundation year at the University of Derby and am now in my second year on a degree. I originally did biology and chemistry plus study skills for the foundation year but am now on a Tourism Management course. Access students and foundation students study together, but the difference being foundation students are guaranteed a place to continue to study a degree at Derby, Access students are not but can apply at Derby or elsewhere. I did not do the literacy or numeracy but friends that did passed them and didn't struggle too much so I wouldn't worry too much about that. If you have any other questions, let me know. Good luck with your tests!
Emily
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
I'm currently at Derby studying on the foundation and I love it!!! I didn't do maths and English tests neither. Derby is a very friendly uni. Any questions ask away :smile:

P.S. Access and foundation groups are on Facebook :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hi Emily,
Thanks for your reply. Wow biology and chemistry to tourism management! I've been told the tutors are really helpful and the access/foundation is far better than the local college ones. Hence why I'm willing to travel from Mansfield. How did you find studying the Access to Science. Is it a hard?

Simon
Reply 4
Hi,

How are you finding the foundation year. Are you enjoying it and is it worth the jump/risk?

I'm sure I'll have loads of questions to ask in the run up to starting. What are you studying? How many students are in each class?

Cheers,

Simon.
Hi Simon,

Yeah bit of a difference between tourism and science!
The lecturers are so helpful on the Access course that I really would recommend it as it makes the transition from work back to education so much easier. Definitely worth the commute. I commute myself to Buxton, so definitely understand that too!
The Access science was a challenge but then there'd be no point doing it if it was easy! I would say as long as you attend the lectures and do the extra reading then you will be fine. The tutors help you if you are struggling and don't be afraid to let them know if you aren't quite grasping something. Plus everyone is in the same boat as you which makes you feel so much better!
I can't recommend Derby enough for an Access or foundation course.

Hope this helps!
Emily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending