The Student Room Group

Official: University of Nottingham A108 2024 Entry Applicant thread

Welcome to the University of Nottingham A108 2024 Entry Discussion.

Previous Nottingham A108 2023 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7259934

For general information click: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/studywithus/ugstudy/courses/UG/Medicine-with-a-Foundation-Year-Bachelor-of-Medical-Scs-w-Hons-U6UMEDCF.html

Selection process/scoring: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/study-with-us/undergraduate/undergraduate-medicine/undergraduate-selection-process.aspx#GCSEs

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Let's get it!!
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone know last year's point cut-off score to be invited for an interview for the foundation course? I've been able to find it for A100 but not A108.
Reply 2
Hi guys? Does anyone know the cut off score to get selected for interview for Nottingham for last year?
Reply 3
Original post by Mn111
Hi guys? Does anyone know the cut off score to get selected for interview for Nottingham for last year?

Hi!!!

So I went to their open day yesterday and they said that they don't release that information as they don't think it would be reflective of the application climate in any given year. (yhhhh suuuree:rolleyes:).

Instead, I just spoke to the students about what scores they achieved to receive an offer and I think that it's generally pretty chill.

In terms of UCAT, you really want to be getting nothing less than 2500 to have a pretty good chance of receiving an interview with SJT of B2 minimum. try and get at least above 601 in each individual section, especially VR. The UCAT scoring is pretty standardised in terms of points allocated. Most people tend to score in the 600s for each section and therefore the amount of points you can get for each UCAT subsection will generally be the same as other applicants. This means that the only limiting factors will either be your SJT or your VR as they multiply the points for VR by 2 and SJT B1 is 60 points!!!

You want the points awarded for your highest 6 GCSEs to mainly be 3 or 4 therefore highest 6 should be mostly 9s or 8s.

In terms of the overall points, I'd extrapolate that the minimum points needed to receive an interview would be around 105 or higher and this seems to be consistent with those that received interviews and offers in the 2023 A108 thread.

I think it's gonna be more competitive this year though as there are only 27 spaces for this year's foundation course.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Aks-y
Hi!!!

So I went to their open day yesterday and they said that they don't release that information as they don't think it would be reflective of the application climate in any given year. (yhhhh suuuree:rolleyes:).

Instead, I just spoke to the students about what scores they achieved to receive an offer and I think that it's generally pretty chill.

In terms of UCAT, you really want to be getting nothing less than 2500 to have a pretty good chance of receiving an interview with SJT of B2 minimum. try and get at least above 601 in each individual section, especially VR. The UCAT scoring is pretty standardised in terms of points allocated. Most people tend to score in the 600s for each section and therefore the amount of points you can get for each UCAT subsection will generally be the same as other applicants. This means that the only limiting factors with either be your SJT or your VR as they multiply the points for VR by 2 and SJT B1 is 60 points!!!

You want the points awarded for your highest 6 GCSEs to mainly be 3 or 4 therefore highest 6 should be mostly 9s or 8s.

In terms of the overall points, I'd extrapolate that the minimum points needed to receive an interview would be around 105 or higher and this seems to be consistent with those that received interviews and offers in the 2023 A108 thread.

I think it's gonna be more competitive this year though as there are only 27 spaces for this year's foundation course.

Thanks so much for your reply
UCAT score was 2690.
Did well in all sections but messed up Abrtract reasoning !!
Reply 5
Original post by Mn111
Thanks so much for your reply
UCAT score was 2690.
Did well in all sections but messed up Abrtract reasoning !!

Yeah, I'd say if your GCSEs are up to scratch and you have at least a band 2 then you would have a pretty good chance of getting an interview.
Reply 6
can i apply even though i am resitting two of my a levels ?
Reply 7
Original post by 166z8888
can i apply even though i am resitting two of my a levels ?

Hi,

This is a quotation taken from the 2024 entry requirement page.

''A levels
BBC: must include a B in both biology (or human biology) and chemistry

A pass is required in science practical tests, where these are assessed separately. We do not accept A Level resits for this course.''

Unfortunately, resits are not accepted, but the entry requirements are quite low so if you at least got BBC with a B in Bio and Chem you can apply.

Additionally, you must meet the contextual requirements as well.

More info here: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/applying/contextual-offers.aspx

Hope this helps.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Aks-y
Hi,

This is a quotation taken from the 2024 entry requirement page.

''A levels
BBC: must include a B in both biology (or human biology) and chemistry

A pass is required in science practical tests, where these are assessed separately. We do not accept A Level resits for this course.''

Unfortunately, resits are not accepted, but the entry requirements are quite low so if you at least got BBC with a B in Bio and Chem you can apply.

Additionally, you must meet the contextual requirements as well.

More info here: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/studywi...-U6UMEDCF.html

Hope this helps.

thank you so much for your help. so does that mean i am unable to apply despite having a extenuating circumstance that led to me receiving a really low grade in chemistry.
Reply 9
Original post by 166z8888
thank you so much for your help. so does that mean i am unable to apply despite having a extenuating circumstance that led to me receiving a really low grade in chemistry.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find anything in regard to A-level resit exceptions for extenuating circumstances. You are welcome to send them an inquiry here: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/Studywithus/Enquiry.aspx
Reply 10
Just did my UCAT and here are my stats.

VR: 540 (Seriously brought my score down)
DM: 620
QR: 670
AR: 700
SJ: Band 1
GCSE's: 999999875

The total points should be 120 I think. Hopefully, that's enough for an interview for their foundation course.

Good luck everyone:smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 11
If I got 2470 in my UCAT and band 2 in my SJT do you think I can get an offer. My points add up to 99 and my predicted grades are ABB.
Original post by Aks-y

Welcome to the University of Nottingham A108 2024 Entry Discussion.

Previous Nottingham A108 2023 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7259934

For general information click: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/studywithus/ugstudy/courses/UG/Medicine-with-a-Foundation-Year-Bachelor-of-Medical-Scs-w-Hons-U6UMEDCF.html

Selection process/scoring: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/study-with-us/undergraduate/undergraduate-medicine/undergraduate-selection-process.aspx#GCSEs

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Let's get it!!

Does anyone know Nottingham's acceptance rate? It says it's 11% on Google which is unbelievably low.
Reply 13
Original post by HockeyMan24
Does anyone know Nottingham's acceptance rate? It says it's 11% on Google which is unbelievably low.

Don't know about that specific stat but they may be referring to the acceptance rate pre-interview I.E. out of everyone who applied, the percentage of people given offers.

On their website, they give the following info:

''While the Medicine with a Foundation Year (A108) has:

had 187 to 345 applicants meet the entry criteria
interviewed 100 to 125 applicants
made 53 to 65 offers
about 27 places for home students''

If we take the minimum amount of offers made which is 53 and divide it by the maximum amount of people that have met the entry requirements which is 345 we get around a 15% success rate. That percentage will undoubtedly be higher if you don't factor in people who do not make it to the interview stage.

Hope this helps
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 14
Original post by nxjmx123
If I got 2470 in my UCAT and band 2 in my SJT do you think I can get an offer. My points add up to 99 and my predicted grades are ABB.

I'm not sure,

I think in last year's thread someone got an interview invite with a score of around 100 and that was when GCSE grade inflation was at its highest. Therefore it may be worth applying as I expect the cutoff to be lower this year.

If you have safer options then I'd say go for those but if not then Nottingham is worth a go. Alternatively, if you're eligible for Notts then you could also apply for Lincoln a18l which generally has a lower cutoff.
Reply 15
My stats:
UCAT: 2570 Band 2
GCSEs: 99988765 D*2 P2
A-Levels Achieved: BBC (B's in Bio and Chem)
Meet WP criteria, so I am eligible to apply for the foundation year course
Would this be enough for an interview? I've applied to both notts and lincoln
Reply 16
Original post by 10958948t
My stats:
UCAT: 2570 Band 2
GCSEs: 99988765 D*2 P2
A-Levels Achieved: BBC (B's in Bio and Chem)
Meet WP criteria, so I am eligible to apply for the foundation year course
Would this be enough for an interview? I've applied to both notts and lincoln

Already responded on the Lincoln thread but you score of 105 is safe based on last years thread.

normally invites are sent around mid/late December for a108
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Aks-y
Already responded on the Lincoln thread but you score of 105 is safe based on last years thread.

normally invites are sent around mid/late December for a108

Yeah I've written the same thing for the Leeds and HYMS threads too. I think interviews for HYMS should be sent around December time too.
Reply 18
Finally received a response to this request I sent a while back and thought it might be useful to post here if anyone wanted some extra reassurance and to judge their application based on last years statistics (The link is below). Note that they don't include the band received for the lowest, mean and highest UCAT scores invited to interview and that is a huge factor in the selection criteria.

Also note that the total number of applicants that applied is not the same as those that meet the entry requirements and applied. On the document it says 559 people applied for 2023 entry but on their website it says the maximum number of people that have met the entry requirements for a108 in past application cycles is 345. Therefore out of those 559, 345 were eligible for the course so don't be put of by the extremely low applicant to interview to offer ratio. A significant amount of people who apply may not be eligible.

Hopefully we can get some more communication from them within the next month or so. Good luck and stay positive guys.

Statistics for 2022/2023 entry: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/1037227/response/2468182/attach/2/Response%20all%20information%20to%20be%20supplied.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 19
Just received Interview invites for both Nottingham and Lincoln at 5:44pm guys!!!!

My stats are 120 points for anyone curious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending