The Student Room Group

Registered Nurse Degree Apprenticeship - Mental Health Nursing

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping you could give me some advice or respond to my inquiries.
I recently applied for a nursing apprenticeship in mental health with Dorset HealthCare University NHS Foundation Trust and Lincolnshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, both of which require four years to complete. I have been offered a place at both universities after applying for learning disability nursing at Derby and DMU. Which would you choose—the four-year apprenticeship or Derby/DMU University—if I were to have an interview with Dorset Healthcare and be offered a position?
I understand that for some, this is a no-brainer, but I'd still like to hear other opinions and if anyone has interviewed for the apprenticeship, that would be great.
Thank You.
Original post by JbaxJere
Hi Everyone,
I was hoping you could give me some advice or respond to my inquiries.
I recently applied for a nursing apprenticeship in mental health with Dorset HealthCare University NHS Foundation Trust and Lincolnshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, both of which require four years to complete. I have been offered a place at both universities after applying for learning disability nursing at Derby and DMU. Which would you choose—the four-year apprenticeship or Derby/DMU University—if I were to have an interview with Dorset Healthcare and be offered a position?
I understand that for some, this is a no-brainer, but I'd still like to hear other opinions and if anyone has interviewed for the apprenticeship, that would be great.
Thank You.
Hi there @JbaxJere - that's great to hear that you have been given an offer by ourselves, at DMU, and Derby also!

Hopefully other TSR members, currently studying Nursing at degree level or via apprenticeship, can comment on how they might prefer either or!

I would generally advise that our programme at DMU does require placements in a similar format to that which you might do via an apprenticeship, or within healthcare professional roles, and takes three years to complete the degree. It also provides eligibility for NMC registration upon successfully finishing the degree programme 🧑*⚕️🧑*🎓

Regarding how NMC registration or employment post-apprenticeship completion, and throughout, would be structured, I would definitely recommend to reach out to the trust(s) you have mentioned for further information & support.

Ultimately it can be a very individual choice! I would also recommend to consider costs and funding, from either the NHS Learning Support Fund or Apprenticeship funding that may be available, as well as location and commuting to placements for both - depending on your plans 😎

I hope this helps a little! Best wishes regardless of your choice - I'm sure you will succeed!💫

-Rose🌹, De Montfort University Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending