The Student Room Group

Can't choose firm choice

I have 2 options university or derby or university of south wales. im going to be studying forensic science

USW:
- cheaper accom (£120 per week ish) and quite nice
- countryside so lovely views
- accom is like 10 min walk
- not good nightlife as its small town
- cardiff 30 mins by train
- not a great town

Uni of Derby:
- the course seems slightly better
- accomodation 30 min walk
- good nightlife
- more expensive accom (£160 per week ish)
- derby is surrounded by other big cities

overall i prefer USW accommodation but i like Uni of derby has a better town but is it that big of a deal with cardiff is only 30 mins by train?
can someome help me decide?!
Original post by heyidontknowwhat
I have 2 options university or derby or university of south wales. im going to be studying forensic science

USW:
- not a great town

Uni of Derby:
- good nightlife

overall i prefer USW accommodation but i like Uni of derby has a better town but is it that big of a deal with cardiff is only 30 mins by train?

You don't need to make this decision until June so please take your time (we see lots of students on TSR who make their decisions early and then regret their choices). Try to attend the offer-holder days for both unis, talk to staff and students, and see if you can see yourself living there. The course content and whether it is right for you should be your priority.

And Derby isn't surrounded by other big cities. It is close enough to Nottingham for you to enjoy the odd trip there but the Peak District National Park is easily accessible from Derby as are the National Trust properties of Calke Abbey and Kedleston Hall.
Original post by normaw
You don't need to make this decision until June so please take your time (we see lots of students on TSR who make their decisions early and then regret their choices). Try to attend the offer-holder days for both unis, talk to staff and students, and see if you can see yourself living there. The course content and whether it is right for you should be your priority.

And Derby isn't surrounded by other big cities. It is close enough to Nottingham for you to enjoy the odd trip there but the Peak District National Park is easily accessible from Derby as are the National Trust properties of Calke Abbey and Kedleston Hall.

both of the unis have their accomodations opened and its first come first served so im just trying to be quick but also not rush it.
Its mainly deciding wether i prefer to be in a countryside or big city but im just torn

USW:
- not a great town

Uni of Derby:
- good nightlife

Hi!

It is a really tough decision. If you're able to get to any open days that may help a lot with the decision making process or at Heriot-Watt we do tours around campus throughout the year for people who missed / couldn't make it to an open day - you could look around and see if either of these universities are do this.

If you can't get to the universities or if you have gone and had a look around and are still stuck then I'd say to look at more things not just location. Location is a big thing - personally for me I only looked at universities in / around cities as I knew I wanted that - but it isn't everything.

Some things I'd suggest looking at are:

How are the courses assessed. Is one more coursework or essay heavy and what would you prefer

Have a look at the modules and see if some sound more interesting to you

What societies and sports clubs does the university have

Have a look at the student union and see what kind of events they put on

Also with the price difference I'd look at how much the train to and from Cardiff is and whether or not that will add up significantly or not

I hope this helps a little and don't worry too much most universities guarantee you accommodation as a first year so you can take your time 🙂

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
both of the unis have their accomodations opened and its first come first served so im just trying to be quick but also not rush it.
Its mainly deciding wether i prefer to be in a countryside or big city but im just torn

Don't worry about accommodation already being open. Read their accommodation policies, they should still guarantee you accommodation as long as you apply before some date in the summer! So take your time to decide :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending