The Student Room Group

The Subliming Is Upon Us.

If the Human race was about to Sublime would you go? I persoanlly would.

Subliming: In aesthetics, the sublime (from the Latin sublīmis) is the quality of greatness, whether physical, moral, intellectual, metaphysical, aesthetic, spiritual, or artistic. The term especially refers to a greatness beyond all possibility of calculation, measurement, or imitation.

Think of it as ascension, the next step in Human evolution. The Sublime is somewhere you can't come back from but it's better than the real (the reality in which you experience).

Races have been Subliming for centruies just to set a time scale.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Colonel Agansu
If the Human race was about to Sublime would you go? I persoanlly would.

Subliming: In aesthetics, the sublime (from the Latin sublīmis) is the quality of greatness, whether physical, moral, intellectual, metaphysical, aesthetic, spiritual, or artistic. The term especially refers to a greatness beyond all possibility of calculation, measurement, or imitation.

Think of it as ascension, the next step in Human evolution. The Sublime is somewhere you can't come back from but it's better than the real (the reality in which you experience).

Races have been Subliming for centruies just to set a time scale.

I assumed you were referring to the physical process of sublimation - that is, when a substance changes from a solid directly to a gas. That probably wouldn't be healthy for humans.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I assumed you were referring to the physical process of sublimation - that is, when a substance changes from a solid directly to a gas. That probably wouldn't be healthy for humans.

I didn't need to know that.
Reply 3
Ich bin bereits ubermensch!
Reply 4
Isn't that what we're doing anyway? Constant progress to better ourselves?

Compared to 200 years ago we'd probably be considered the Sublime to that era.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Isn't that what we're doing anyway? Constant progress to better ourselves?

Compared to 200 years ago we'd probably be considered the Sublime to that era.

No.

Subliming is, transcending en masse to a mathematically-provable afterlife where entropy and death are irrelevant concepts, Enfolded in alternative dimensions whose existence has been confirmed by reliable (if frustratingly vague) reports back from beyond.
Original post by RobML
Ich bin bereits ubermensch!

Are you a male model?
Reply 7
No.

Subliming is, transcending en masse to a mathematically-provable afterlife where entropy and death are irrelevant concepts, Enfolded in alternative dimensions whose existence has been confirmed by reliable (if frustratingly vague) reports back from beyond.

:/ Ok, so some 'incredible place' in the big beyond..

I don't know, I quite like the chaos in this dimension.
Reply 8
Are you a male model?

I'm an... airfix model
*muted laughter*
:/ Ok, so some 'incredible place' in the big beyond..

I don't know, I quite like the chaos in this dimension.

Exactly This! :biggrin:

Would you be able to enhabit earth alone or at least with a few other stragglers?

While the rest of us are partying it up in the big S?
Reply 10
Exactly This! :biggrin:

Would you be able to enhabit earth alone or at least with a few other stragglers?

While the rest of us are partying it up in the big S?

I still feel like there's a catch to it. I'm far too used to my physical form, plus it sounds like those who will transcend are going to escalate their head up their rear and form a massive ego complex over the 'few other stragglers'. No thank you.
I still feel like there's a catch to it. I'm far too used to my physical form, plus it sounds like those who will transcend are going to escalate their head up their rear and form a massive ego complex over the 'few other stragglers'. No thank you.

Very little is known about what happens in the subliming and while you may not look like your old self you are still very real just enfolded in a different dimension so your translation in the Sublime is not necessarily non-physical.

While I'm sure the idea of taking susch a massive leap is scary all signs point to the Sublime being infinitelty better than your current existence.

If a date was set where a majority of the Human race is set to sublime I would go along if for nothing else just for the sake of not being alone.
Original post by RobML
I'm an... airfix model
*muted laughter*

Public displays of self-deprecation are a hall mark of a narcissitic personality.
Reply 13
Public displays of self-deprecation are a hall mark of a narcissitic personality.

Ok, yes I am and David Gandy wishes he was me.
I feel like that 'Sublime' place is where people go after turning into puffy clouds... Like that chemistry thing.
Which would be really miserable, to float all the time and then fall crushing into the ground like water does. Only more bloody. :lolwut:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Ah, like in the Culture novels. You are aware that it is fiction right? But yeah I would, were such a thing actually possible.
Reply 16
I made a sub lime once.

It took on water and I was very bitter about the whole fiasco.
Original post by lucaf
Ah, like in the Culture novels. You are aware that it is fiction right? But yeah I would, were such a thing actually possible.

The culture is very real. Nothing Fictional about it, buddy.

Original post by SiminaM
I feel like that 'Sublime' place is where people go after turning into puffy clouds... Like that chemistry thing.
Which would be really miserable, to float all the time and then fall crushing into the ground like water does. Only more bloody. :lolwut:

You're not the brightest crayon in the box, are you? (Don't answer that, it's what we refer to as a ret-- oh who am I kidding...)
Reply 18
The culture is very real. Nothing Fictional about it, buddy.

Trolling or crazy?
I like Ian M Banks too...but no we are not subliming or anywhere near close to it, although if the option existed I wouldn't be surprised if a goodly proportion of humanity decided to collectively, en masse 'do one'.

Quick Reply

Latest