The Student Room Group

Frankenstein A level english lit paragraph

Hi!! I'm in y12 atm and struggling quite a lot with Frankenstein essays, my homework was to write an extended paragraph on 'Examine the ways Shelley introduces the creature to the narrative' and was wondering if I could have any feedback/advice :smile:? Thank you so much in advance, I wld really appreciate the help.

The introduction of the Creature into the narrative is a sharp subversion of the dramatically Romantic ‘wretched’ silhouette we initially see. Instead, Shelley depicts him as being more rational and logical than Frankenstein, thus challenging societal perception of ‘others’. Juxtaposing the horrifying visual imagery ‘shrivelled complexion’ and ‘black lips’, which aligns the Creature with the typical monster of Romantic terror, Shelley draws upon many of Rousseau’s works to question the reader’s initial perceptions, and critique Frankenstein’s immediate abandonment of his creation. Adopting Rousseau’s consistent use of intertextual reference in works such as ‘Confessions’, Shelley creates an allusion to Paradise Lost, ‘I ought to be thy Adam, but I am rather the fallen angel,’. By likening himself to Satan, the Creature demonstrates a resentful knowledge about his ostracisation from society, highlighting his longing to return to a prelapsarian state of innocence. This builds the reader’s empathy for the Creature as it reveals his complete comprehension of his ‘accumulation of anguish’ at the hands of society, thus projecting a growing resentment towards both Frankenstein and the rigid social barriers of 18th century society for alienating him. This is reinforced through the Creature’s dexterity of language; unlike Victor’s inept epithets ‘wretch’, ‘fiend’, the Creature uses deeply archaic language, ‘I will glut the maw of death’. The contrast between the language of the characters underscores the Creature’s intellectual and emotional complexity, inviting the reader to reassess their perception of both characters. Furthermore, the structural positioning of the Creature’s tale at the heart of the narrative is striking; this could be reflective of how it has an elevated sense of importance within the concentric and ‘glory’ driven narratives of Walton and Frankenstein. Shelley’s intentions in doing this could have been to assert the Creature’s power and influence on the narrative, therefore disrupting the social hierarchy which outcasted him. Alternatively, this could be undermining Walton and Frankenstein’s ‘unrelenting’ attempts to dominate the ‘marvellous’ sublime, potentially Shelley’s method of critiquing the contemporary fascination with exploring ‘Terra Incognita’, which still existed on maps at that time, and subsequently the unbridled dominating pursuit of man. The staggering development of the Creature from his ‘inarticulate sounds’ to a sensible and rational being even more so than Victor - ultimately usurps the audience’s preconceived judgements, and queries the societal exclusion of others based upon superficial standards.
Heya Ik it’s been a while but I’ve some resources if u still need some help for Frankenstein

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending