The Student Room Group

Degree in Law or IR

Hi. I'm not sure if I should do a degree in law or IR. I have a strong interest in international law and human rights. I've heard of some international lawyers doing a degree in law and then a masters in IR, but I'm not sure if it would be suitable to do the other way round (an undergraduate degree in IR, and then a masters in law- conversion). Does anyone have any advice?
You don’t need to study law at undergraduate to practice law later down the line. So the IR > Law route is fine.
Reply 2
Original post by sublime-baths
You don’t need to study law at undergraduate to practice law later down the line. So the IR > Law route is fine.

So it won't set me at a disadvantage if I later wished to pursue careers in things such as the ICC?
Original post by MonaA3
So it won't set me at a disadvantage if I later wished to pursue careers in things such as the ICC?

I’m afraid I have no experience in that field but I don’t see why it would be in any way disadvantageous. On average, about 50% of lawyers in the U.K. come from a non-law undergraduate background - if that’s a helpful indicator of how common this route is.
Reply 4
(Original post by sublime-baths)I’m afraid I have no experience in that field but I don’t see why it would be in any way disadvantageous. On average, about 50% of lawyers in the U.K. come from a non-law undergraduate background - if that’s a helpful indicator of how common this route is.

Thank you for the reply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending