The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Charlotte15

Where are you from?
I generally find that the north/south stereotypes are quite true. I definitely don't envy the south. I am looking for jobs at the moment, and whilst there are waaaay more jobs down south (obviously mainly around London), it is just somewhere I do not want to move to. I like London in a tourist way, but I wouldn't like to live there. I do think the people are less friendly and it feels quite grim.

I have met too many people from London who think that London = the U.K., and it is this attitude that I don't like. There is nothing wrong with loving where you are from, but they seem to take it to another level. Not saying all southerners are like that. I have friends and have been in relationships with men from the south who are lovely, just as I know many northerners who are cold.
Seeing threads like this is hilarious. Unless you live in London, you can't complain about anything.
Original post by TheTechN1304
Seeing threads like this is hilarious. Unless you live in London, you can't complain about anything.

You mean, you can't as in literally, or you are not 'allowed to'?
Reply 24
Original post by Airfairy
I generally find that the north/south stereotypes are quite true. I definitely don't envy the south. I am looking for jobs at the moment, and whilst there are waaaay more jobs down south (obviously mainly around London), it is just somewhere I do not want to move to. I like London in a tourist way, but I wouldn't like to live there. I do think the people are less friendly and it feels quite grim.

I have met too many people from London who think that London = the U.K., and it is this attitude that I don't like. There is nothing wrong with loving where you are from, but they seem to take it to another level. Not saying all southerners are like that. I have friends and have been in relationships with men from the south who are lovely, just as I know many northerners who are cold.

By the same token you seem to think that the south= London? There are other cities in the south you know, I don't know why everyone in this thread is focusing on London.
The South West is geographically part of the South, but should really be considered its own region- it doesn't have anywhere near the investment or infrastructure going to London and the south-east.

I love the North, and would love to move to Northumberland. I've been there many times, and love its ancient castle ruins, rugged and spectacular coastline, and the quiet, rural bliss.

Nonetheless, I'm still a Londoner (and Southerner!) at heart, and so couldn't see myself going up North anytime soon.
I'm from Newcastle, and yes, the socio-economic North-South divide is very real.
In all honesty however, I prefer the South, especially London because it has more culture.
You're lucky if there's half a dozen Shakespeare plays/operas on in Newcastle per year, and even with the Sage, there is still little variety. As for restaurants and galleries, again the choice is limited, however on the whole Newcastle is a friendlier place than in the South.
Interestingly enough, I actually consider anywhere south of York to be 'down south' as we call it. Londoners would be forgiven to think that Newcastle was in Scotland, where the divide is even worse.
Original post by Texx
By the same token you seem to think that the south= London? There are other cities in the south you know, I don't know why everyone in this thread is focusing on London.

I don't think that. Most of the southerners I know haven't been from London, and I've been to see them. I think the south east is predominantly in London's shadow though. That's not just from my feeling but people I know from there seem to view the whole area as just London outskirts.

Having said that I have ignored the South West. I've been once and enjoyed it and it doesn't feel typically southern as such. I agree with an above post that it shouls be classed as separate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Northerners are just bitter they ain't in landan.
Original post by Airfairy
I don't think that. Most of the southerners I know haven't been from London, and I've been to see them. I think the south east is predominantly in London's shadow though. That's not just from my feeling but people I know from there seem to view the whole area as just London outskirts.

Having said that I have ignored the South West. I've been once and enjoyed it and it doesn't feel typically southern as such. I agree with an above post that it shouls be classed as separate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, cornwall is suposed to be different. You say that about London's shadow, but there is Oxford and Cambridge, they have their own competitiveness with London because the universities are more prestigious
and they offer a lot as places to live, obviously not in the same way as London. Also, there is the south coast which has great beaches and quality of life. So I wouldn't say it was in London's shadow, that's mainly Londoners perspective.
It's more of a London & the South East Vs Everywhere else divide tbh since UK became reliant on an overmighty banking and finance sector

People in the SW are in pretty much the same boat as everyone else not in London, though they probably wouldn't thank you for describing them as honorary Northerners.
Lol I would say the opposite in fashion
Reply 32
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Yeah, cornwall is suposed to be different. You say that about London's shadow, but there is Oxford and Cambridge, they have their own competitiveness with London because the universities are more prestigious
and they offer a lot as places to live, obviously not in the same way as London. Also, there is the south coast which has great beaches and quality of life. So I wouldn't say it was in London's shadow, that's mainly Londoners perspective.

Cambridge and Oxford are basically extensions of London. The cities are so gentrified by London businesses nowadays. If you built a high speed railway between the three cities then they would merge into one mega commuter district within a year.
Original post by Shav 123
Lol I would say the opposite in fashion

Old thread...

Original post by gagolly
Cambridge and Oxford are basically extensions of London. The cities are so gentrified by London businesses nowadays. If you built a high speed railway between the three cities then they would merge into one mega commuter district within a year.

Old thread...

Latest