The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 12th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheGreatImposter
Previous years have been higher

Posted from TSR Mobile

Has the grade boundaries ever been higher than 80?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 381
Original post by niki981
no just be aware of them. you need to know a case study for impactss of overpopulation, underpopulation, ageing population and youthful population and then 2 case studies for population management. The population management case studies can be for overpopulation, underpopulation, ageing population, youthful population or migration I think.
Hope that helps

That's great thanks, so do I need to know a case study for each of them situations or just a few of them? It's just that I haven't got any case study for underpopulation at all!
Just in case anybody needs help on case studies, I've made some sets on quizlet for the case studies for rivers, coast, population and energy issues https://quizlet.com/Chloe_Rogers9/folders/geography
Original post by Pikki1234
Has the grade boundaries ever been higher than 80?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't think so
The highest has been 75
Original post by Wellnhoferia
Do you think a 7 marker on Solifluction would be possible or ice wedges alone would be possible?

It's certainly possible, although I wouldn't rule out a 15-mark question on Periglacial Landorms (2 more more etc.). I'm guessing a 7-marker on ice wedges/solifluction lobes would be a picture so you'd have to describe it then explain its formation. It's happened before with stone polygons.
Hi for population what case studies do we have to know? Do we need to know a migration one?
Hi for population what case studies do we have to know? Do we need to know a migration one?
Original post by yeslordsugar

You could do international migration case study of Mexico to USA, and also i think some text books have Poland to the UK :smile:
Original post by JgR1997
You could do international migration case study of Mexico to USA, and also i think some text books have Poland to the UK :smile:

So we do need a case study even though the spec doesn't say so?
So we do need a case study even though the spec doesn't say so?

Yes definitely, i think in previous papers eg June 2012 they asked you to evaluate how a country managed an ageing population or something alike, so you should know case studies like UK aging population, international migration, characteristics of inner city to rural area using a city, also Ugandan youthful population :smile:
Thank you!

Original post by azzax
Rejuvenation in rivers is caused by a drop in the sea level. This causes the altitude of the river to increase. For example if the source of the river was 150m above sea level, and the sea level dropped by 2m, the source would now be 152m above sea level. This increases the potential energy in a river which results in an increased amount of vertical erosion.

Knick points: waterfalls created when there is a change in altitude (when the sea level drops or at the point of river capture). As they retreat upstream, they become smaller until the river reaches a graded profile
River terraces: former flood plains which are now at a higher altitude due to verticle erosion in the river channel. This occurs because the river has more energy so more vertical erosion takes place making the river deeper. This is followed by lateral erosion which is slower which creates a new floodplain. River terraces are not flooded during a bankful discharge.
Incised meanders: Formed from an increased amount of vertical erosion which occurs because the river has more energy. The meander itself is formed like a normal meander but it has different features. There are 2 types:
Ingrown incised meander are asymmetrical and very deep. They are formed via significant vertical erosion and some lateral erosion.
Entrenched incised meanders are symmetrical and usually deeper than an ingrown incised meander. They are only formed with verticle erosion.

I hope this helps! :smile:
What's the difference between long, cross and graded profiles in rivers?
I could be wrong but I get a feeling one of the Floods/Glaciation 15 markers could be a explain the formation of 2 or more landforms question, any thoughts?
Reply 394
Original post by azzax
I did do a lost in this but here is the information I have in it :smile: I have given an example with each one :smile:

Fjords
Description: a submergent landform that is a long, narrow, deep inlet of the sea between high cliffs.
Explanation: Pre glacial: the river flows to the sea in a v-shaped valley. Glacial: a river of ice (glacier) flows to the sea. This makes a U-shaped valley as the valley sides are eroded by the glacier. post glacial: At the end of the ice age, the glacier melts leaving a deep U-shaped valley. The sea level rises and the sea water floods the glacial valley. This is called a fjord (example: Soyne Fjord, Norway)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey Azza. Sorry to bother you again I'm revising Eustatic and Isostatic change, but I am a tad confused by this section of your answer above:

"At the end of the ice age, the glacier melts leaving a deep U-shaped valley. The sea level rises and the sea water floods the glacial valley."

Does the water come from the melted glacier, or from the sea level outside of the valley? i.e Does the sea level rise due to the glacier melting, adding to the volume of water and thus submerging the valley?
What health, economics and lifestyle impacts have you guys got for CHD? For health?
Reply 396
Original post by Kralamoonard
Hey Azza. Sorry to bother you again I'm revising Eustatic and Isostatic change, but I am a tad confused by this section of your answer above:

"At the end of the ice age, the glacier melts leaving a deep U-shaped valley. The sea level rises and the sea water floods the glacial valley."

Does the water come from the melted glacier, or from the sea level outside of the valley? i.e Does the sea level rise due to the glacier melting, adding to the volume of water and thus submerging the valley?

Yeah the water comes from the melting glacier. It increases the volume of water which submerges the valley :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 397

You need to know one for
- Population policies/overpopulation and underpipulation
- Ageing population
- Youthful population
- comparison of two areas of settlement (inner city, surburb, rural etc)
- migration (yes you need to know this)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 398
Original post by jaynamodi
Thank you!

You're welcome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sup gizas, has anybodys teachers given them predictions for the 15 markers on; -food, -rivers, -population change,-cold environmens

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending